What would you do . . . .

Options
_EmmaStrong_
_EmmaStrong_ Posts: 648 Member
Here's the scenario: I wore a dress to work, which doesn't happen often. It is black with a flower print, cap sleeve, mid -calf length, A-line style. I was leaving to go to lunch. Keep in mind - I work in an Auto Parts Store, so lots of men around. I walked past them to get to the door, which always makes me "cringe". One of the men said "That's a nice dress, Emma, but it would look better on me", and then gave a snarky laugh. (This guy is the casanova type - thinks all women are in love with him).

So, this is what I did: I said, "Well, let's just prove it. We have two bathrooms here. I'll go in one and you go in the other, and we will exchange clothes. We will see who looks better in this dress." So, we did and guess what? He did look better than me!

Just kidding!!! Seriously, I didn't even look at him. I didn't say a word. In my mind, that did not deserve any kind of response, and I sure as he!! wasn't going to give him one!

What would you have done?

Edited to clarify a few things: The auto parts store is owned by a local family. I am the bookkeeper/ office manager, so I can wear whatever I prefer to wear - which is mainly t-shirt and blue jeans. AND I have a very well rounded sense of humor. Guys say things all the time!! But, you have to agree, sometimes what someone says - ONCE IN A WHILE - does not deserve a response. And this guy, who is a customer, by the way, is an *kitten*-HOLE!!!

Replies

• cleavagefurrow
    cleavagefurrow Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    LMAO for a second I actually thought you switched outfits with him!!! You're too funny. But in all seriousness, I would have just given him a confused look and kept walking. I don't really get it. Is he saying he has a more womanly body than you? What was the point of that comment?
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    Why would you wear a dress at an auto parts store? Thats like wearing pants made of red meat ina Lion's Den.
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I probably would have said something along the lines "I had no idea you were a cross-dresser! Geez, you work with someone all this time..."
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I would have asked him if he was wearing the right bra and panties that day so as not to clash with the dress.
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Why would you wear a dress at an auto parts store? Thats like wearing pants made of red meat ina Lion's Den.

This comment is the same as saying a rape victim asked for it, for wearing a dress! Shame on you! Men should be able to keep their mouth shut and not make snide smart *kitten* comments. Just remember, honey, that the guy that said it was showing the level of his intelligence and integrity!
  • glonigan
    glonigan Posts: 82
    Options
    Being a guy, those might have been fighting words as I don't bat for that team. I also would have to wonder what kind of night I had that I woke up in a black dress.

In all seriousness, where I work those type of comments would be construed as hostile work environment and he would be shown the front door. If you really want him to feel the size of .... well, make him feel small, flat out ask him in front of his "buddies" what he thinks that kind of comment will get him? Force the hamster to spin a little in its cage till he comes up with a coherent reply or apology. Most likely he thought that was a complement. Just my 2 cents.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

This comment is the same as saying a rape victim asked for it, for wearing a dress! Shame on you! Men should be able to keep their mouth shut and not make snide smart *kitten* comments. Just remember, honey, that the guy that said it was showing the level of his intelligence and integrity!

Oh for God's sake, chill out and acquire a sense of humour.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options

Oh. My. God.

As someone who has been molested, I seriously want to punch you for even drawing that comparison. Seriously.

He's right. You are so effing wrong. .
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    What would you have done?

While he ducked into the men's room, I would have called all of the rest of the guys over and get their cellphones at-the-ready with the cameras and video recorders going...

Have him come out ...

That evidence could easily be used against him - wearing your dress! LOL!!!!!!!!!
  • StefPayne
    StefPayne Posts: 126 Member
    Options

Agreed!!!
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Options

Well im sorry and I dont disagree that men should be able to keep their mouth shut and not make comments and it is not how I raise my boys, however I think it is a bit of a leap to take my comment and apply it to rape. My god.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I would have asked him if he was wearing the right bra and panties that day so as not to clash with the dress.

I hope he waxed! LOL!
  • chatipati1
    chatipati1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    An old lady I know who I respect once said to an idiot like that..""F Ah U and ah U mother. (in a very thick italian accent.) I love this statement and think of it often...you can say it, or think it...lol
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options

What...we're living in the 1800s? Men can't control themselves because a woman is showing her legs from the knee down?! Gimme a break!

I worked in car dealerships for 8+ years and never had a man make an inappropriate comment to me.
  • mhouston2011
    Options

Ummm because she wanted to?
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    HeeHee..
    It's your call, OP.
    I would NOT like to be harrassed.
    If you end up being sorta persecuted by this guy, I would simply go straight to his authority, and let the management handle the environment you work in.
    Stay courteous, but

In the meantime, You may want to go for a more professional appearance.

This is just true, in life.
    You have to be sensitive and make this call.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Waiting for SofaKingRad to weigh in on this... :bigsmile:
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I'd have asked him if he enjoyed cross dressing often.

I do want to know though, where do you work that you can wear a dress?! I managed 2 auto parts stores (Advance and Auto Zone) All I ever got to wear was a frumpy polo shirt. :grumble:
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    So glad I don't work with any of you stuck up prudes.

What has the world come to that men cannot even make a joke anymore without a woman getting super offended and jumping down their throats?

I see these threads all the time. It's ridiculous. Get over yourselves.

You have stolen my heart.
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Options

What...we're living in the 1800s? Men can't control themselves because a woman is showing her legs from the knee down?! Gimme a break!

I worked in car dealerships for 8+ years and never had a man make an inappropriate comment to me.

Well again I would say you are misunderstanding what I am saying. The OP already said the guy who said it HAD that rep. My point is to avoid risk. I dont condone anyone being an ahole ofcourse.