What do you think about Interracial relationships?

Options
stillthesamegirl
stillthesamegirl Posts: 112 Member
My boyfriend is black and ofcourse, I am white.. And to make us even more "different" I am from Canada and he is from the US. I feel like so many people are judgemental of us. And assume, I am a trashy white girl and he is a ghetto black guy. This is not the case. He is educated and may dress a certain way, but is far from what people perceive him to be. I'm so tired of people judging our relationship based on our difference in cultures. I see him as a person, I don't think of the color of his skin everyday. What do you all feel about interracial relationships? Have you ever been in one or are you in one? And by interracial, I obviously don't just mean black and white relationships.

Replies

• dodihere
    dodihere Posts: 490
    Options
    Nothing wrong with it.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Ever think the problem may be that you're Canadian and he's American? :drinker:

(obviously I'm kidding.)
  • wolveslovemee
    wolveslovemee Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Im Iranian and my boyfriend is American, and my family is totally cool with it. We've lived in the US for 15 years and love it here. My boyfriend loves that Im persian and I teach him farsi all the time.

Of course, some people will always think its not a good dymanic, and I think its a really stupid and stigmatized way of looking at relationships.

Man, makes me sad that people still arent over this already! Brush those people off!
  • Wezlfuss
    Wezlfuss Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Currently in one. I'm black (to put it bluntly) and my boyfriend is white. I guess technically you could say that I'm bi-racial, since my parents were an interracial couple as well (white mom, black dad.), so naturally I don't see anything wrong with it. To top it off, we live right smack next to San Francisco. xD So yeah, a lot more tolerance over here, but we do get the occasional "look" every now and then. Hell, I even get them from his friends sometimes, like they don't really think it's going to last. You just kind of have to accept the fact that not everyone is used to the idea, and think of how awesome it'll feel when you finally prove them wrong~
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    My 1st wife was a Russian Jew.
    My 2nd wife was Italian Catholic.
    My 3rd wife was Czech Christian.
    My wife now was raised Mormon. European mutt.

Dated all races, religions, backgrounds. There can sometimes be external pressures that are difficult to overcome. Gotta take a "them and us" attitude sometimes.
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options

Dated all races, religions, backgrounds. There can sometimes be external pressures that are difficult to overcome. Gotta take a "them and us" attitude sometimes.

Dude that's alot of wives.
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    NO!
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    My son's father is Black (I'm White) and most people didn't have a problem with it. Unfortunately the relationship didn't work out even though I loved him enough for both of us. Anyone who has had a problem with my half Black son has had to deal with his White momma. A couple "mountains" at a restaurant in a small town in Illinois found out that this little White woman won't stand for anyone disrespecting her Black child. It's funny now but at the time it occurred to me I could end up in the hospital or dead but I didn't care. You don't disrespect my child just because you don't like the color of his skin!

Ok, done with rant.
  • antizoni1
    antizoni1 Posts: 334
    Options
    If you are Happy in your Interracial relationship it does not matter what I or anyone else thinks, Only God can Judge Us
  • TheRoadDog
    Options

That's what my daughter says. I just tell her that I'm too much man for one woman.
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options

That's what my daughter says. I just tell her that I'm too much man for one woman.

I told ppl that too, but it turned out I was just like really fat.
  • reneewill
    reneewill Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Didn't even know it was an issue anymore...certainly, as a society weve come further than that! Good luck and God bless. BE HAPPY and treat each other well and it's all good!
  • stillthesamegirl
    stillthesamegirl Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Im Iranian and my boyfriend is American, and my family is totally cool with it. We've lived in the US for 15 years and love it here. My boyfriend loves that Im persian and I teach him farsi all the time.

Of course, some people will always think its not a good dymanic, and I think its a really stupid and stigmatized way of looking at relationships.

Man, makes me sad that people still arent over this already! Brush those people off!

Most of my friends in Canada are Iranian.. Some of their parents really only want them to date other persians. So it's cool that your parents are open about it.. I speak a little bit of farsi too! hahaha
  • TheRoadDog
    Options
    Didn't even know it was an issue anymore...certainly, as a society weve come further than that! Good luck and God bless. BE HAPPY and treat each other well and it's all good!

Yep, it can still be an issue. The saddest thing is that the most friction can be from family.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    If two people are happy and in love, it doesn't matter what race, color, creed, political affiliation or sexual orientation they possess.
  • MsTanya77
    MsTanya77 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I'm black and my first serious boyfriend was white and I've dated several white men and Hispanic men. I believe anyone should date whomever they are attracted to, but expect opposition as people do have different views on interracial dating.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    anyone who has a problem with this is a horrible human being and should not be allowed to make any decisions on any scale.
  • jeffwagstaff
    Options
    As a Libertarian, I would never judge you for your relationship choice.. But from my own experience, relationships are hard enough without the additional burden of the clash of cultures.. Relationships definitely involve more than just the two of you.. There's the extended family on both sides. As we all know, EVERY family has those busybody types that feel they can get in your business "because they love you"...

And then there's the possibility of the children that may result.. To which culture do they belong?..

Please dont assume that I'm xenophobic in any way..

I'm just trying to point out that you're really adding a layer of difficulty to your lives by building a relationship with someone from ANOTHER COUNTRY... :-)
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    anyone who has a problem with this is a horrible human being and should not be allowed to make any decisions on any scale.

Seconded. All in favor, say "Aye".
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    I don't think race or gender matters in a relationship. You love who you love.

My exhusband was Mexican.
    The person I have been dating for a few months is Puerto Rican.
    My kid's father is black.