What do you think about Interracial relationships?

Options

Replies

• Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    There should be more of them in this world!!!!:flowerforyou: i love seeing mixed race couples. Makes me happy to see people choosing to love someone from another culture/race.
  • leafstucker16
    leafstucker16 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Race is not an issue at all to me, I wouldn't judge anyone else for interracial dating and would do it myself
  • BrazenHarpy
    BrazenHarpy Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Both of my parents (divorced) are in interracial relationships. My husband's best friend is in an interracial relationship. MY best friend is in an interracial relationship. I've never even considered having a problem with it, nor have any of these people openly experienced any kind of weirdness/judgment as far as I know.

The only weird thing I encounter is when my mother's friends ask me about my "stepbrother," who is in fact technically my half-brother as we emerged from the same uterus. BUT he is a completely different color than I am, so I think that confuses people.
  • lelupa1
    lelupa1 Posts: 11
    Options
    Maybe you are getting stares because you are a good looking couple!
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    My Dad's percpection is that it is way better to have mixed children. He is a farmer and knows that mixed breed animals are way healthier then pure breds. He also says this in front of people. (Thanks Dad to comparing us to cows and talking about breeding) :embarassed:
  • seehe
    seehe Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    My family is interracial since I chose to adopt my son at 9 months from Korea 23 years ago. I was shocked many times by both adult's and children's comments (although many people also had kind things to say). As a Caucasian from European descent, it gave me an inside look at racism and discrimination, which, although it isn't a pretty picture, has nevertheless made me a wiser and stronger person and helped me to understand and prepare my son for some of the issues he would be facing and has faced.
    Although there are all kinds of people in the world, as far as I am concerned, we are all part of one race-The Human Race.
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I think there aren't enough interracial relationships! There should be more!
    I believe interracial relationships will end racism for good because there will be a day when the whole world will be a beautiful beige! :happy:
  • jrwatson87
    Options
    tried to respond to someone's quote but it didn't work. People of different European backgrounds do not equal people of different races..they are all white..anyway whatever
  • K_Smith86
    K_Smith86 Posts: 123
    Options
    I'm all for interracial relationships. I've been in a few of them in my past - dated a black man, a hispanic man, and a guy from the middle east. We all got looks of course, but I didn't care, and you shouldn't either. All that matters is that the two of you love each other and make the other happy. Shouldn't matter if you're white, black, purple with pink polka dots, or have zebra stripes. Love is just that - love. It shouldn't have restrictions on it. You will always get looks, people will pass judgement, it's what people do. My boyfriend and I get looks quite a bit. He's white, but a tall bean pole. (6'4 and weighs maybe 175). Me on the other hand, 5'11 and, well, not 175lbs LOL. His 'friends' have made comments and questioned why he's "with a fat chick" and how he "can do so much better". But he's stuck by me in the best and worst of times, and I couldn't be more thankful. There are people we will all come across that will judge our relationships, and we will feel like we need to justify our relationship to them. But in all reality, we don't. As long as you are both happy, then screw what everyone else thinks.
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I don't think anything about it.

Love is color blind.
  • Shellitz
    Shellitz Posts: 188
    Options
    I think that people are people, and regardles of anyone's skin colour, country of origin, religious background etc etc...if you love each other it shouldn't be a problem. The reality however is sometimes cruel.

I dated an Italian Catholic guy for a few years, and his family were so horrible to me, they would basically tell him as soon as I walked out of the room that they wish he'd found a 'good italian catholic girl' and that he could do better than a 'faithless Aussie". In the end, it was just too hard. I guess it wasn't meant to be because as if it was real love he would have found a way to set them straight, but he was so afraid of offending his parents and his grandparents that we just couldn't get past it.

I'm now dating a fellow Aussie, but my background is actually Indian. It's really wonderful. Thankfully my grandparents are so different to other immigrants here, they came to Australia in the 60's and really embraced the lifestyle here and proudly refer to themselves as Australian. My mum and all of her siblings ended up with Aussie partners and there was never any pressure from my grandparents to date within their own ethnicity. They still make a wicked curry and in the hot weather my grandma is known to wear a sari...but they're happy to have a bbq too - if only everyone could be so accepting, maybe we wouldn't even need to have this dicussion!
  • greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    tried to respond to someone's quote but it didn't work. People of different European backgrounds do not equal people of different races..they are all white..anyway whatever

Here comes ignorance again, lol. I said early i'm WHITE, i only said i'm part French, German and Czech, never did i say i'm anything BUT white. Thank you
  • Jebbster007
    Jebbster007 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is black and ofcourse, I am white.. And to make us even more "different" I am from Canada and he is from the US. I feel like so many people are judgemental of us. I'm so tired of people judging our relationship based on our difference in cultures. And by interracial, I obviously don't just mean black and white relationships.

I'm actually questioning whether this is a real question? Are you serious? Who is being judgmental? Are these family members or close friends? You said, "So many people"......are these just idiots off the street who give you dirty looks? I guess I'm kind of incredulous because almost everyone I know is in a interracial relationship (slight exaggeration....keyword slight). It's like someone time warped you from the 1950's to the present day. If the people giving you a hard time are your family members....you kinda stuck with that, or just choose not the see them. If they're friends, get new friends. If they're strangers on the street, give the bird and tell 'em to go screw themselves, world will never be idiot free. Or move. Place you're living in is overrun with wack-jobs. The fact this is still even being discussed is mind-blowing. None of my interracial friends/couples experience the kind of prejudice you're describing. I'm not saying you're lying, I'm just saying you must live in a very backwards place.

edited for clarity. I have asked once or twice to most (many) of my interracial couple friends and they've repeatedly said they rarely if ever experience the level of prejudice you are describing so it isn't my opinion, this statement is coming from them. Of course I live in southern California, don't know if that has something to do with it. Here you could probably have a relationship with a small farm animal and people wouldn't look twice.
  • marnet12
    marnet12 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Race and gender should not be an issue, just species.

Totally agree!
  • BTheGreatest
    Options
    In my opinion, we're all the same race, the human race!! But, that's just me!! :happy:
  • _Sara_A_
    _Sara_A_ Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I think it's great, considering I'm dating and living with my Filipino boyfriend. Yes there are some people who say/think why would you want to date a white girl/filipino guy for? My response is why not? Is there something wrong with that person that makes them less compatible with me because their from another race? I'd rather date someone who isn't white than to date someone who's white and doesn't treat me well. I'm by no means saying that white guys are terrible guys. I'm just saying get to know the person before you make a judgement call!
  • gmann1973
    gmann1973 Posts: 247
    Options
    Nothing wrong with it Im in one now and I am very happy
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options

italians and Spaniards arent white
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    i am a result of one, and thusly feel nothing about them- ie i dont give a crap about who or what you do "it" with
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    My 1st wife was a Russian Jew.
    My 2nd wife was Italian Catholic.
    My 3rd wife was Czech Christian.
    My wife now was raised Mormon. European mutt.

Dated all races, religions, backgrounds. There can sometimes be external pressures that are difficult to overcome. Gotta take a "them and us" attitude sometimes.

Dude that's alot of wives.

Well my dad's on his fourth wife as well so it's not as uncommon as you think. *sigh*

As for interracial, I dated a Korean guy. We broke up not because of race but his mother didn't like me but his race was never an issue.