Why I'm Fat

Options

Replies

• Melampus
    Melampus Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Well I had been fat previously but came out of hospital after an illness much thinner and also much weaker and very hungry. I ate three good meals a day and then found myself raiding the fridge in the evenings and snacking on things like cheese and lime pickle sandwiches along with lots of chocolate. Sometime later I noticed I was fat again. Whether I never noticed that the hunger had gone and ate for the pleasure or whether the chocolate just never suppressed my appetite I don't know.

I have been here for three month and have lost a good part of the extra weight and I am feeing better for it.
  • whatascene
    whatascene Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    PCOS, emotional/stress eating in college, bored eating, knee surgery, and hot head burrito.
  • Yellabutterfly05
    Yellabutterfly05 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    no concept of portion control...my motto used to be "if it tastes good, eat it all".
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    This thread is making me hungry...

sad :(
  • talkytina9
    talkytina9 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of my and my families problems with weight..is because..

1 Native DNA...our bodies were made to store fat for hard times..on top of not having all those thousands of years for our bodies to process certain foods..such as sugars..dairy..and starches as well as alcohol as Europeans..it is hard for our bodies to break these things down because we just don't have the enzymes..so I advocate diets based on your ethnicity and what your natural diet would of been if you were not assimilated into American Culture..(please don't take that as a racial thing either..I know we live in a multicultural society that frowns on the idea that our bodies are different from each other..but they are)

2..growing up in a impoverished household that advocated not wasting food..that you should eat all your food on your plate..even if you were full..just for the sake of not wasting..because wasting is not good..
  • K_Smith86
    K_Smith86 Posts: 123
    Options
    A few reasons -
    *Bad examples when I was growing up. Parents never really cared what we ate, and never took into consideration if it was healthy or not. Taste > heatlhy.
    *Genetics - mom's side of the family is overweight, always has been, and diabetes runs in the family. Dad's side has struggled with thyroid issues.
    *Lack of self respect / self love. I cared about myself, or thought I did. However, it's been proven by looking at myself that I didn't care like I thought I did. Otherwise I would have done something about this long ago.
    *I let myself go - when I was 16, something bad happened to me where I lost a lot of respect for myself, and I just stopped caring. Went into a major depression, and food was my comfort.
    *Inability to stick with something and see it through - I tried diets a few times, but lacked the motivation and had little to no support to stick with it and see it through. I'd get discouraged and give up.

But after being on here, it has definitely made it a bit easier. And when you've come to terms and accepted why you are the way you are, it helps in taking that step into becoming a better, healthier version of you. It's hard, and honestly the hardest thing I've ever done, but I know that the blood, sweat, tears, etc will all be worth it in the end. Besides, how can you put a price on your health?
  • bizorra
    bizorra Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    zero self control when in front of my favourite foods (whole pizza? Def done that)
    zero self control when food is infront of me (I don't even LIKE chips, but if there's a bowl in front of me I will eat it)
    eating my emotions
    getting so drunk poutine actually becomes a desirable food
    Even when eating well, I would just eat WAY TOO MUCH.
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Because it was real nice to sit anywhere and drink wine. On my couch, on my friends couch, at a restaurant, on the lake....
  • workitash
    Options
    Because it was real nice to sit anywhere and drink wine. On my couch, on my friends couch, at a restaurant, on the lake....

Oh how I love wine :-P
  • amh1974
    amh1974 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    beer, wine and anything else I can't resist! Love my carbs! :))
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    cheesy poofs and giant sandwiches and brownies and potato skins and a complete and total inability to leave cheese uneaten
  • MsNewBooty83
    MsNewBooty83 Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    always the chubby one, then had 2 kids, ate like a pig, sat on my *kitten* and now....better....why i cant get the last 8lbs off my *kitten*...because i still eat like crap, and i binge like mo fo....but i work out like a mo fo too. need to clean up my diet or ill never get wwhere i truely would love to be, altho im feeling pretty damn good about where i am now :)
  • Marie3391
    Marie3391 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I love to eat! I love food! haha. At the moment I'd say 'cause my fiance can eat anything and everything and not gain an ounce and loves to eat out. Like I said... I love to eat, lol.

Oh well, people can lose weight, gotta enjoy life.
  • jkcrawford
    jkcrawford Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Take out food everyday, I would just have a burger and no fries...didn't think it was a problem.
    Processed food
    No support
    MFP has helped, and I am determined to live a long healthy life...so I changed :wink:
  • birdies13
    birdies13 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    beer and wine
  • funkygirl35
    Options
    chocolate and more chocolate and more chocolate
    but really what is the best but i don't have anymore
    chocolate and salt and vinegar potato chips, the sweet and salty and sour together were amazing
    yummy
  • UWWYellowbaby
    UWWYellowbaby Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I love food. Almost everything, save fish/seafood. I also have larger than normal portions, like 2 instead of 1. Or 3. Who am I kidding?
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Pepsi, Dr. Pepper, snickers, take out food and a boyfriend who used to eat a ton of food (that I felt I needed to keep up with for some reason)....fortunately he has cut back so I have too. Also a general lack of motivation to do my workouts in the afternoon when I had more time and (eventually) energy.
  • vmerie
    vmerie Posts: 36
    Options
    Chinese food is evil.
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    IDK