Tired of all the "real dieters"

Options

Replies

• zealousmissjj_wechange
    Options
    :huh: I thought you where the one telling others how they should eat? Why do you even bother. Live and let live. Do what feels good for you. Let others learn from their own mistakes if they even make one.

I don't think that there was a single thing wrong with saying 1) treats can be had in moderation 2) exercising while attempting to lose weight will preserve LBM and result in a "better" aesthetic upon reaching goal and 3) eating 1200 calories while working out intensely can be quite harmful. So...because I've said these things I deserve to be told that I'm packing extra fat? Wow. I'll leave you both to that opinion.

Where did you ever read that I mentioned anything about a) You're packing extra fat? Because you're definately not btw and never did I mention this. b) anything else from above? Maybe you should read your first post again. I was talking about you telling others that they are not doing it the 'healthy' way and you listed 3 things. My point (and my only point) was why do you bother? Do what you believe in. Do what feels right for you. Accept friends that fit your beliefs. But let's let others do as they please too.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    also, what the hell does it matter how much weight i've had to lose? you don't get muscles, deadlift 1.75x your body weight and squat the same by sitting on your *kitten*. That takes work. Are you saying that you wouldn't listen to the most successful person in your company if they hadn't failed before getting to that point? Would you not take their advice on how to someday get into a similar position? If not then that's just silly. I ALWAYS LOOK TO PEOPLE WHO ARE WHERE I WANT TO BE because obviously they've done something right. Maybe my journey will be slightly different because our circumstances are different but there are very useful bits of advice and information found by not seeing their perspective as condemnation but merely as a tool to guide my own behavior.
  • TonyaBtrfly
    TonyaBtrfly Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I would love to see one of you guys post a success story showing what you really eat and do. It would be very inspirational for someone like me whose just starting out. I'm doing my best to not starve myself and eat right and it does make a big difference. I can't imagine going hungry if my body needs it. Either way, would love to see a success story by someone who eats lots and exercises too. :happy:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/3834-eat-more-to-weigh-less
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/680246-tdee-bmr-what-they-are-and-what-to-do-with-them
  • BikinimomE
    BikinimomE Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    i love it when people who haven't had a lot of weight to lose, nor had life events that cause weight gain, come around and make up these threads that try and call others out and dictate to them what they do wrong and why they are fat.
    full of win!

I didn't see this any where in the thread. The fact is that there is no ONE RIGHT WAY to build lean mass and lose excess body fat (though it's very difficult to do both without the aid of performance enhancing agents). This is why those who are interested in building lean mass bulk first (this does not mean get fat). They take on more calories for many months in order to facilitate growth. And when they feel they've made enough progress gaining mass they switch up their diet and cardio habits (or simply add cardio back to their routine) in order to MAINTAIN the lean mass they just worked so hard to gain while burning body fat.

So, unless a body adheres to these types of principles (that are simple biological facts - NOT MAGIC) then they are doing it WRONG. period...

If you want to see how I know this... LOOK HERE: http://voices.yahoo.com/photos/bikinimom-pursuing-strength-living-fit-6215496.html?cat=5 20+ years of experience and STILL LEARNING EVERY DAY!!!
  • sicilysclover
    sicilysclover Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I'm so tired of seeing people on MFP talking about how they are trying really hard to lose weight "HEALTHILY" or they are so tired of yoyo dieting but then you look at their diaries and you see:

A) they're eating 1200 (or fewer) calories and working out intensely

B) eating rabbit food everyday and then complaining that they can't fit in more than 1200 calories

C) haven't changed their eating habits at all. Still eating copious amounts of food with little to no redeeming qualities

D) they neglect physically activity and complain that they don't like their body after reaching goal (because they've likely lost or failed to maintain LBM throughout the process)

I want to be strong, fit, and healthy. To me this means that YES you can have dessert..fast food..starbucks..whatever your vice is but you have it with moderation. This means that you fuel your body properly and not attempt to starve the weight off.

Most importantly it means that YOU DO NOT "DIET" ...you learn how to make changes that will stick with you for a lifetime. You find activities you love, food that tastes great but isn't detrimental to your progress, and you incorporate treats occasionally. Food is not to be feared and progress is not to be rushed.

So glad you said this. I wrote a post few days ago, concerned because I ate too few calories and didn't want to go into starvation mode and one MFP'er told me that it didnt exist and I was being irrational. Eating is important - food is not the enemy! It's what we eat and how we treat our bodies that makes the difference.
    Options
    I'm so tired of seeing people on MFP talking about how they are trying really hard to lose weight "HEALTHILY" or they are so tired of yoyo dieting but then you look at their diaries and you see:

A) they're eating 1200 (or fewer) calories and working out intensely

B) eating rabbit food everyday and then complaining that they can't fit in more than 1200 calories

C) haven't changed their eating habits at all. Still eating copious amounts of food with little to no redeeming qualities

D) they neglect physically activity and complain that they don't like their body after reaching goal (because they've likely lost or failed to maintain LBM throughout the process)

I want to be strong, fit, and healthy. To me this means that YES you can have dessert..fast food..starbucks..whatever your vice is but you have it with moderation. This means that you fuel your body properly and not attempt to starve the weight off.

Most importantly it means that YOU DO NOT "DIET" ...you learn how to make changes that will stick with you for a lifetime. You find activities you love, food that tastes great but isn't detrimental to your progress, and you incorporate treats occasionally. Food is not to be feared and progress is not to be rushed.

So glad you said this. I wrote a post few days ago, concerned because I ate too few calories and didn't want to go into starvation mode and one MFP'er told me that it didnt exist and I was being irrational. Eating is important - food is not the enemy! It's what we eat and how we treat our bodies that makes the difference.

I'm glad that the post helped you..and a few others. That's really all that matters. People can berate me and say bad things about me but at the end of the day it was worth it to see several people POSITIVELY affected!
  • BikinimomE
    BikinimomE Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I'm not tired of the real or fake dieters. Whatever works for someone is fine with me. And if it doesn't work, they'll find that out soon enough. Everyone must find their own path.

Me, I choose diet and exercise. Yep, I am ON A DIET. I've been on this diet for 20+ years and plan to stay on it for the rest of my life. I only maintain a healthy weight when I diet. If I don't think about what I'm eating everyday, I will over eat.

Diet. Say it with me friends. It's not a dirty word. It's a wonderful thing. And it's only as temporary as you make it.

The problem with the word DIET is that most people (it seems you may be in this category, I could be wrong. If I am, I do apologize) think this word means what they DON'T or CAN'T eat/drink (yes, what you drink affects your metabolism too!). That's what screws people up. Your diet is comprised of what YOU DO EAT/DRINK.

See, it's the four letter word F-O-O-D that screws people up. FOOD is not evil. FOOD IS YOUR FRIEND! :heart:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm not tired of the real or fake dieters. Whatever works for someone is fine with me. And if it doesn't work, they'll find that out soon enough. Everyone must find their own path.

Me, I choose diet and exercise. Yep, I am ON A DIET. I've been on this diet for 20+ years and plan to stay on it for the rest of my life. I only maintain a healthy weight when I diet. If I don't think about what I'm eating everyday, I will over eat.

Diet. Say it with me friends. It's not a dirty word. It's a wonderful thing. And it's only as temporary as you make it.

The problem with the word DIET is that most people (it seems you may be in this category, I could be wrong. If I am, I do apologize) think this word means what they DON'T or CAN'T eat/drink (yes, what you drink affects your metabolism too!). That's what screws people up. Your diet is comprised of what YOU DO EAT/DRINK.

See, it's the four letter word F-O-O-D that screws people up. FOOD is not evil. FOOD IS YOUR FRIEND! :heart:

So, on a diet one chooses carefully what they can and can't eat or drink, but in a lifestyle change they do, what? Eat and drink without thought? I doubt seriously that is the case, but if so, I'll take a diet every time.

I do limit what I can and can not eat or drink. Some things are limited to occasional use only. Some are thoughtfully added on a regular basis. Food, for me at least, can be friend or foe, depending on how I choose to control it.
  • Sariebon
    Sariebon Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I would love to see one of you guys post a success story showing what you really eat and do. It would be very inspirational for someone like me whose just starting out. I'm doing my best to not starve myself and eat right and it does make a big difference. I can't imagine going hungry if my body needs it. Either way, would love to see a success story by someone who eats lots and exercises too. :happy:

This isn't MY success story, but it's a good one.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/709987-how-wrong-i-was-600-days-of-mfp-lotsa-pics

This is such a great story! It really motivated me to become more active after I saw how wonderful she is doing! I've since joined a gym and am taking 3+ fitness classes a week :)
  • Need2bfit918
    Need2bfit918 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    also, what the hell does it matter how much weight i've had to lose? you don't get muscles, deadlift 1.75x your body weight and squat the same by sitting on your *kitten*. That takes work. Are you saying that you wouldn't listen to the most successful person in your company if they hadn't failed before getting to that point? Would you not take their advice on how to someday get into a similar position? If not then that's just silly. I ALWAYS LOOK TO PEOPLE WHO ARE WHERE I WANT TO BE because obviously they've done something right. Maybe my journey will be slightly different because our circumstances are different but there are very useful bits of advice and information found by not seeing their perspective as condemnation but merely as a tool to guide my own behavior.
    because to some people it may come off like someone who has never had an alcohol or drug addiction telling people who have to just use self control. Its a little belittling . we are not all the same so try to support people as they try to learn and overcome.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    because to some people it may come off like someone who has never had an alcohol or drug addiction telling people who have to just use self control. Its a little belittling . we are not all the same so try to support people as they try to learn and overcome.

But we are NOT all the same, as you said. Just because someone never had a hundred pounds to lose doesn't mean they don't know anything. Jillian Michaels never had THAT much weight to lose, in my opinion. And there are tons of other fitness professionals like that.

Nobody has a perfect life. We all have difficult experiences that we have learned from. Someone who has had an alcohol addiction may be able to help someone who has had a drug addiction. Someone who has had anorexia may be able to help someone who has struggled with over-eating. Just because we've had different paths doesn't mean we can't help each other.
    Options

it doesn't have to come across that way--that's my point. I could always take a superior's advice as condescending but I choose to USE IT to benefit me. If the individual was presented with drugs on a daily basis or had the urge to do them but didn't indulge that urge...then I'd say, there's SOMETHING that can be learned there. The "why" and "how" they resist those urges can be useful even if they never chose to actually step foot into that world. Maybe it's just me but I like to improve upon myself and if someone is willing to share their perspective with me it's not my first inclination to jump down their throat (assuming this individual is in a position/possesses something that I'd like to attain).
  • Need2bfit918
    Options

But we are NOT all the same, as you said. Just because someone never had a hundred pounds to lose doesn't mean they don't know anything. Jillian Michaels never had THAT much weight to lose, in my opinion. And there are tons of other fitness professionals like that.

Nobody has a perfect life. We all have difficult experiences that we have learned from. Someone who has had an alcohol addiction may be able to help someone who has had a drug addiction. Someone who has had anorexia may be able to help someone who has struggled with over-eating. Just because we've had different paths doesn't mean we can't help each other.
    thats exactly correct. just be aware not every person is as far along as she obviously is. at least they are on here trying to learn.
    Options

thats exactly correct. just be aware not every person is as far along as she obviously is. at least they are on here trying to learn.

Not everyone is open to learning actually. Many many people are not and I wish that wasn't the case. You'd be surprised at how resistant people are to TRYING to do things in a way that defies what they think is "the best way" (usually eating as few calories as possible and working out as much as possible).
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    it doesn't have to come across that way--that's my point. I could always take a superior's advice as condescending but I choose to USE IT to benefit me.

Lol - I imagine people would first have to be convinced that you were their superior before deciding to use your advice! Many different people give a lot of different advice. A wise person isn't just going to randomly take any piece of advice - they need to know a bit about the credentials and experience of the person giving the advice, and preferably to know a bit about the person too.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    My two cents.

I don't care what other people do or don't do. It's their life. I worry about myself and my family.
  • CanadianThunder
    Options
    These threads are so annoying. Why don't you send them all a message giving them proper dieting tips, according to their bodies, seeing as you clearly know everything.
  • Cazzy34
    Cazzy34 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Bumping to read later x
  • Need2bfit918
    Options

Not everyone is open to learning actually. Many many people are not and I wish that wasn't the case. You'd be surprised at how resistant people are to TRYING to do things in a way that defies what they think is "the best way" (usually eating as few calories as possible and working out as much as possible).
    for the record i agree with most of the advice you gave.
    Options
    it doesn't have to come across that way--that's my point. I could always take a superior's advice as condescending but I choose to USE IT to benefit me.

Lol - I imagine people would first have to be convinced that you were their superior before deciding to use your advice! Many different people give a lot of different advice. A wise person isn't just going to randomly take any piece of advice - they need to know a bit about the credentials and experience of the person giving the advice, and preferably to know a bit about the person too.

I don't dispute this at all. However, I am well aware of who my superiors are in the field I've chosen.