I find it kinda sad...

Options

Replies

• mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I stopped allowing them to eat there when my son told me he had two pieces of pizza and a chocolate milk. I was livid. Why the F*** do they have chocolate milk as an option? Are you f***ing kidding me? In an elementary school?

Whoa, there are things in school that worry me lots more than chocolate milk. I would prefer my kid drink chocolate milk of a lot of other things. Chocolate milk doesn't really contain much more sugar than the lactose in white milk provides. PLus they will get just as much sugar if not more from whatever juice or soda a school offers. At least the chocolate milk has health benefits.

I support chocolate milk!!:laugh:

If not for chocolate milk, I never would have drank milk as a child (or even now). I HATE HATE HATE plain milk.

I was underweight as a child, and very healthy. Chocolate milk in elementary schools is NOT a new thing, while childhood obesity is. Methinks chocolate milk is not to blame.

Wholeheartedly agree with both of you. Chocolate milk (low fat, organic) is the only milk that my 12 year old will drink. He's 57.75 inches tall and weighs 78.75 lbs, so nowhere near obese. He's a good student and athletic.

Chocolate milk is not the sole cause of the problem with kids today--but add in sedentary lifestyles, video games, and processed foods, and there you go!
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    From my fiancee:

"Hamburger Helper IS a balanced meal. I have protein, carbs, fat, and even dairy!"

"Hot dogs made of chicken/turkey/pork are my favorite. And they're healthier than regular ones."

"Eating a *kitten* ton of snack foods at night plus one other 1000 calorie meal per day is perfectly sustainable and healthy."

"I don't need to work out right now. My weight is fine!" (it is but it's not about weight!)
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    that my coworker thinks a fried fish sandwich with mayo and processed cheese from McDonalds is a "healthy" option. I didn't want to be mean, but I did offer her other suggestions for lunch.

I also find it sad when I come across others who are completely clueless when it comes to good nutrition. I am by no means a nutritionist but I think I have a good idea of what's good for me and what's not. I guess it's not as "common sense" unless you've done your homework and researched healthy eating habits?

What are some other nutrition misconceptions you've come across with friends or family that made you cringe?

Did it not fit into her macros?
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    that my coworker thinks a fried fish sandwich with mayo and processed cheese from McDonalds is a "healthy" option. I didn't want to be mean, but I did offer her other suggestions for lunch.

I also find it sad when I come across others who are completely clueless when it comes to good nutrition. I am by no means a nutritionist but I think I have a good idea of what's good for me and what's not. I guess it's not as "common sense" unless you've done your homework and researched healthy eating habits?

What are some other nutrition misconceptions you've come across with friends or family that made you cringe?

There's a fine line between being healthy and mindful and crossing over into becoming "that guy" (or girl).

Please don't become that.
  • lindsiswatchingyou
    lindsiswatchingyou Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Why I don't eat fast food:

fastfood.jpg

Can you send me the link to where you got this? I'd love to send it to a few people!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Not everyone knows or understands what is healthy and was is not.

Did you inherently know what foods were healthy? If you did then you wouldn't be on your fitness journey because you'd be where you want to be and would have stayed there.

The issue is that crap food is so much cheaper than the healthy stuff and when you have companies like General Mills stating that there's whole grain in their sugary cereals then you will have the people who look at that and say "Well it has whole grain in it!" and not even think about the fact that it's not the best choice. 100 calorie snack packs are considered healthy because they're only 100 calories. Fruit juice is "healthy" because it says "made with real fruit" on the front (same goes for the fruit snacks and such). Advertising is leading people to believe that what they are eating is healthy when it's not and the affordability of junky food makes it easier to justify the purchase.

If you point out to those who think these things are healthy and let them know it's not and give them a healthier alternative then they'll learn. Don't be high and mighty and holier than thou about it just do it in a nice way and if they don't believe you and want to continue their thinking let it be.
  • sicilysclover
    sicilysclover Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I remember a few years ago I had one friend who convinced me I could eat whatever I want as long as I drank Green Tea because it was a miracle worker and would speed up my metabolism (this is when the green tea kick first started taking form, now its everywhere). Now I look back at that and laugh. Green Tea is great but with a healthy diet!! Not "I ate a whopper but its OK because i'll have some green tea now"
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I stopped allowing them to eat there when my son told me he had two pieces of pizza and a chocolate milk. I was livid. Why the F*** do they have chocolate milk as an option? Are you f***ing kidding me? In an elementary school?

Whoa, there are things in school that worry me lots more than chocolate milk. I would prefer my kid drink chocolate milk of a lot of other things. Chocolate milk doesn't really contain much more sugar than the lactose in white milk provides. PLus they will get just as much sugar if not more from whatever juice or soda a school offers. At least the chocolate milk has health benefits.

Chocolate milk has ADDED sugar. Look at the labels: 22+g for chocolate milk, 12g for white. Still better than soda, but I agree chocolate milk should not be a regular option at school -- my kids know it's for special occasions only.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

If not for chocolate milk, I never would have drank milk as a child (or even now). I HATE HATE HATE plain milk.

I was underweight as a child, and very healthy. Chocolate milk in elementary schools is NOT a new thing, while childhood obesity is. Methinks chocolate milk is not to blame.

Wholeheartedly agree with both of you. Chocolate milk (low fat, organic) is the only milk that my 12 year old will drink. He's 57.75 inches tall and weighs 78.75 lbs, so nowhere near obese. He's a good student and athletic.

Chocolate milk is not the sole cause of the problem with kids today--but add in sedentary lifestyles, video games, and processed foods, and there you go!

Exactly! Kids aren't allowed to play freely outside anymore because everyone's afraid of the bogeyman. So they only get "planned" exercise.

We were out running around all the time as kids and allowed to eat when we wanted. Now, I was always required to eat dinner before dessert and limited to two cookies if I wanted them, but there wasn't this kind of desperation involved in feeding kids back then. And I'm not THAT old, but things have changed so much.

The more people obsess over nutrition, the worse the obesity epidemic gets. It's interesting.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    I also find it sad when I come across others who are completely clueless when it comes to good nutrition. I am by no means a nutritionist but I think I have a good idea of what's good for me and what's not.

Are you the fish police? Who are you to judge?
    Shut the Front Door!
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Another friend recently told me that their wife thought Nutella was health food as well and insisted on having it regularly.

It's CRAZY how many people think Nutella is healthy. Look at the freaking label! It's sugar with some nuts and chocolate thrown in!
    It is astounding. Nutella advertises themselves as being the healthy alternative, especially for kids.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I find it kinda sad...

that after being on MFP for awhile and gaining some knowledge about health and nutrition that I seem unable to muster the patience and compassion to help others. For whatever reason, I seem to forget that I spent years not having a clue about nutrition and as soon as I see some success I look at others with disdain because of their ignorance.

I also find it sad that I look to other like-minded individuals on a community forum to join me in my disdain for those ignorant of healthy choices.

Isn't one of the rewards for making healthy choices more energy? Perhaps that extra energy could be used to fuel some compassion and humanity - maybe even reach out and try to educate and help the people in my life. Seems like a good idea, right?

This actually made me a little misty...
  • vbrent07
    vbrent07 Posts: 115
    Options
    I was at Olive Garden with my friend and I ordered Eggplant Parm. and she commented on me being all vegetarian and healthy when the dish is still fried and is high in calories! It doesn't matter if it's a vegetable, bread it and fry it in oil and it turns into junk food!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

They had chocolate milk in elementary school when I was a kid and I drank it.

It's not that bad for you if you use skim milk. In fact it's used by athletes as a recovery drink.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Another friend recently told me that their wife thought Nutella was health food as well and insisted on having it regularly.

It's CRAZY how many people think Nutella is healthy. Look at the freaking label! It's sugar with some nuts and chocolate thrown in!
    It is astounding. Nutella advertises themselves as being the healthy alternative, especially for kids.

No they don't. Pay attention to the commercials. Not once do they say Nutella is healthy.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options

I have Nutella every night. Lost 8 lbs and 7 inches all over so far.

Sup?
  • brandysparksW
    Options
    My shake my head and press my lips together moment was when my MIL told me Sunny-D was healthy. In fact she thinks all bottled juices (ie, apple, grape, orange) are healthy. I've tried to explain that the sugar is still really high in these juices and asked her to please only occasionally give them to my kids. I'm a firm believer in "everything in moderation."

Sunny D Is gross! They use to give it to us before band trips with ddonuts. I was 15 and overweight but I knew it wasn't good for you. I got in trouble for dumping the sunny D and filing the bottle at the water fountain....... because "that juice is good for you and there's no vitamins in ae...." I just remember thinking, 'lady, thats not juice!'
  • JenRLo
    JenRLo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    My shake my head and press my lips together moment was when my MIL told me Sunny-D was healthy. In fact she thinks all bottled juices (ie, apple, grape, orange) are healthy. I've tried to explain that the sugar is still really high in these juices and asked her to please only occasionally give them to my kids. I'm a firm believer in "everything in moderation."

At 50 calories a pop, it is not exactly the worst thing you can give to a kid. My kids get it for picnics or special treats instead of soda. Guess what? A lot less calories than any juice or soda out there. I also use it to mix drinks occasionally because of the lower calories.

Unfortunately my kids were getting about double the 6.75 oz, which was their daily sugar intake with little to no nutritional value. That's a good idea mixing it.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I find it kinda sad...

that after being on MFP for awhile and gaining some knowledge about health and nutrition that I seem unable to muster the patience and compassion to help others. For whatever reason, I seem to forget that I spent years not having a clue about nutrition and as soon as I see some success I look at others with disdain because of their ignorance.

I also find it sad that I look to other like-minded individuals on a community forum to join me in my disdain for those ignorant of healthy choices.

Isn't one of the rewards for making healthy choices more energy? Perhaps that extra energy could be used to fuel some compassion and humanity - maybe even reach out and try to educate and help the people in my life. Seems like a good idea, right?

YEEEESSSSSS!

So sad.....
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

I have Nutella every night. Lost 8 lbs and 7 inches all over so far.

Sup?

mmmm. I love Nutella.