COFFEE DRINKERS ADVICE NEEDED!

Options

Replies

• BriaMc
    BriaMc Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I use a coffeemate one, only put one T and call it a day. Some days i have two cups thus 2T but not very often. So 35-70 cals a day.
  • anberlingasm
    Options
    I love my coffee but I've managed to cut down to just one cup in the morning. I use semi-skimmed milk rather than creamer and I've never taken sugar so I've never had to worry about that. At around 20 cals a cup, the calories aren't the reason I cut down - I was having trouble sleeping and now I've found I sleep so much better for having no coffee throughout the day.
  • peaceloveandtattoos
    Options
    i drink a cup every morning with a splash of organic 2% milk and stevia (which is all natural and calorie free)
    i spend around 20 cals per day on coffee. the rest of my drinks are green tea and water :)
  • txiatg28
    Options
    Lately I've been using half and half with a bit of sugar. It takes a bit of getting use to but it's not so bad if you're looking to drink healthier. Otherwise, if I run out of creamer & sugar, I take my coffee black and suck on 4 chocolate kisses and my calorie is still under 100 for breakfast.
  • PJ64
    PJ64 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    As a fellow coffee addict I know what you're going through. I have always HATED sugar substitutes but have found splenda to be pretty good/tasty. I give myself one vanilla creamer a day and then the rest is splenda an low fat or non-dairy creamer
  • iRebel
    iRebel Posts: 383
    Options
    Well, I drink it black. If you buy quality coffee, you don't need to dress it up with sweetener and stuff.

Sometimes I splash I little nonfat milk in it.
  • zsaoosh
    zsaoosh Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I dont like my coffee black but I find that if I drink it over ice I can take it black with splenda or a little skim milk.
  • queendeej
    queendeej Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I just use sugarfree hazelnut creamer by coffeemate. I like stevia as a sweetener so if I'm running low on creamer I can do a dash of almond milk and stevia together. But you have to choose what's important to you. If you need the full flavor creamer then find somewhere else in your diet to cut back.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I tried unsweetened vanilla almond milk but it tasted funny. I also tried Stevia and it made it bitter. I've adapted to just skim milk and not much of it. I use almond or coconut milk in most things like smoothies or whatever, but I've just found it to be odd tasting in coffee.

I switched to unswettened almond milk about 6 months ago. It took me a while to warm up to it. At first, I really only had it with cereal. Now I can drink it with a sandwich and dont think I will ever go back to regular milk.
  • Blessedbythebest1
    Blessedbythebest1 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I am an avid coffee drinker as well. Must have it every morning and during the day. I use to love adding the cream and sugar, then a friend suggested using honey, I did and I was surprised at how good the coffee tasted. I was pouring in that honey thinking it was better for me...HA! Got on MFP and looked up honey to add.... it is over 60 calories, OMG not including my creamer, hazelnut flavored. I love to eat, I can't waste calories like that on coffee. You know what I do now, I mostly drink my coffee BLACK! I have just come to like it that way. I will treat myself on some days with a little cream but still no sugar or honey. Good luck its a hard one.
  • Beee_B
    Beee_B Posts: 24
    Options
    I'm a positive polly so I think I qualify here (I hate the negatives!)

I invested in a Baby Gaggia and I froth up skimmed milk to pour over an espresso - it's lovely!

I also add a bit of unrefined sugar if I need but I've been slowly lessening the amount and find that I need it less and less x
  • cowgirlup327
    cowgirlup327 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Try a teaspoon of raw, creamed honey - that will add sweetness and a bit of creaminess. Have you looked into flavored coffees so you can just add cream (some of the flavored beans may add a bit of sweetness to the brew). I believe in using moderation of the good/real products rather than loading my body up with fake stuff - those products freak me out a bit. So I use 1-2 TBSP of organic half and half, and occasionally (when the office coffee is realllllly bad) 1 packet of Sugar in the Raw. It is 20 calories. With one cup of coffee, 1 TBSP of half-and-half and 1 packet of Sugar in the Raw, you're looking at about 40 calories for a cup of coffee, which won't hurt your calories too badly even if you drink 2 cups.
  • extraleggy68
    extraleggy68 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Filter coffee and semi-skimmed goat milk. I hate instant *kitten* coffee and find all those fancy coffee shop coffee's too sweet. Simple Taylor of Harrogate Lava Java and semi skimmed goat milk does me just fine :-)
  • ThickNThunda
    ThickNThunda Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    First off - as an avid coffee drinker - 35 calories for good half and half and a teaspoon of sugar is SO WORTH IT. Eat a bite less at dinner.

Second, I have to put cream and sugar in lousy coffee. But at home I have an espresso maker. With good ground coffee, it tastes great just black.

My machine will also make skim milk froth for a latte or cappuccino - but you can buy a frother and just put a dollop on your regular coffee.

Quality, not quantity.

I totally agree with you. My morning coffee that I drink with 3 tbsp of creamer (35 calories a tbsp) and 3 sugar packs adds up to 150 calories. This is so worth it to me.
  • dawnwarren71
    Options
    I got to have my coffee too, but until I start loosing weight, and until i have extra calories to burn I have been drinking mine black. I know that's not for everyone.
    The only other thing I can promise you sometimes when you first start using splenda and fat free creamers, at first they aren't great but surprisingly you get used to it. It's like eating donuts everyday and now I can't.
    It's hard in the beginning but you can do it!
    Enjoy your Java!
  • stonebreaker143
    Options
    i love me some coffee in the morning! at home i use flavored creamers - low fat or low sugar doesn't matter - i don't use sugar at all just the flavored creamer - at work yuck i use if i have to...equal and powder creamer (blah)
  • Briszler75
    Briszler75 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Mnnn time for some coffee! I have a cafetiere and I make it with semi skimmed milk with no sugar.
  • mrincredible93
    Options
    Gosh there's a lot of responses to this topic! I didn't take the time to read all 7 pages of responses so I don't know if this has been said already: I do like the fat free international creamer flavors but instead of fighting the calorie battle with coffee, I've used it.

In my first cup I don't use creamer. Instead I use a scoop of chocolate flavored protein powder. It sweetens my coffee AND adds in 26 g of protein in a drink I'm going to have anyway. The alternative with the protein powder is to add it to water (yuk!) or milk (good).

The protein powder is 140 calories and milk adds another 80 - 110 calories though where coffee adds only 2 calories. Coffee & chocolate protein powder - YUM! Also comes in vanilla and cookies & cream.

I do switch to fat free creamer for subsequent cups. I'm resigned to using calories for it and I use exercise to earn some back if I'm short for food. After giving up so many other things that I like, I was not willing to give up coffee.
  • Tickateeboo
    Tickateeboo Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I've always had a bit of confusion over how many calories coffee is. I use sweetex (1) and skimmed milk, and have 1 - 2 mugs a day.
  • NoahandPresleysMom
    NoahandPresleysMom Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    First off, I just have to put it out there... If you're a negative nancy (or negative nick) your comments are NOT welcome here. With that said....

I am an avid coffee drinker. I really can't go a day without drinking a cup in the morning. I drink my coffee with creamer and sweetener. My favorite creamer/sweetener has 35 calories per 1 TBSP serving. I found some nonfat creamer that has 20 calories per a 2 TBSP serving. I also found some splenda flavored packages that are calorie free, though they don't taste very well.

What kind of creamer, or creamer substitute do you put in your coffee? What kind of sweetener do you put in your coffee? How many calories a day do you waste on coffee?

I take in 1200 calories a day, and my coffee can take up to 60 to 140 calories out of my day. Depending on what I put in it for the day. My only other beverage is typically water, so I don't typically drink any other calories besides my coffee. I'd just like to hear what other coffee drinkers do to lower their calorie intake, but also get their morning java!!

Thank you in advance for all your input!! :)

-Lexi

I'm mostly a black coffee drinker. But if I do put anything in it its usually skim milk and stevia.