I find it kinda sad...

Options

Replies

• yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Personally... I don't blame food for my obesity. I blame poor decision-making. I find it funny how several posts in this thread mention skinny people suggesting a treat as healthy alternative to something less healthy and you all want to blame fast metabolism... guess what... Their metabolism isn't any different than yours. Metabolism isn't some mystical power that varies in potency from person to person. Calorie deficit is the only thing that impacts metabolism. If you want a faster metabolism, eat less and move more. If you think denying yourself treats will get you there, then more power to you, but there is a significant psychological component to weight loss, and blaming food is a recipe for disaster where that is concerned.

Best of luck to you all.

Oh how I love thee.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    the best breakfast for a diet is two strawberry poptarts and a giant glass of OJ O_o

Mmmm Poptarts! lol
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Another friend recently told me that their wife thought Nutella was health food as well and insisted on having it regularly.

It's CRAZY how many people think Nutella is healthy. Look at the freaking label! It's sugar with some nuts and chocolate thrown in!

To be fair - the commercials for it are so misleading!! If a company says its "hazlenuts and a sprinkle of cocoa" i'd buy it thinking it was healthy. Since I've been on MFP though, I know better. I think it's so unfair that marketing for a product can make you believe its all-natural and healthy.

To be fair I have never seen that used to describe Nutella. That said.....Can you tell me why it's so unhealthy?
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Salads - some people think that all salads a good. But throw on the bacaon, cheese, fried chicken, creamy dresing...:huh:

Then they become great salads!!!
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    Personally... I don't blame food for my obesity. I blame poor decision-making. I find it funny how several posts in this thread mention skinny people suggesting a treat as healthy alternative to something less healthy and you all want to blame fast metabolism... guess what... Their metabolism isn't any different than yours. Metabolism isn't some mystical power that varies in potency from person to person. Calorie deficit is the only thing that impacts metabolism. If you want a faster metabolism, eat less and move more. If you think denying yourself treats will get you there, then more power to you, but there is a significant psychological component to weight loss, and blaming food is a recipe for disaster where that is concerned.

Best of luck to you all.

THIS TO NO END!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    And, I find it kind of funny, I find it kind of sad, but the dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    that my coworker thinks a fried fish sandwich with mayo and processed cheese from McDonalds is a "healthy" option. I didn't want to be mean, but I did offer her other suggestions for lunch.

I also find it sad when I come across others who are completely clueless when it comes to good nutrition. I am by no means a nutritionist but I think I have a good idea of what's good for me and what's not. I guess it's not as "common sense" unless you've done your homework and researched healthy eating habits?

What are some other nutrition misconceptions you've come across with friends or family that made you cringe?

It's not the worst thing you could eat at McD's. But yeah, if I want fish, I'll go to Long john Silver's. Their fish actually tastes good. McD's is nasty.
  • NiSan12
    NiSan12 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    The majority of people have no idea how many calories they need, or how many calories are in most regular food... They r totally clueless, but then so was I until last may when I found this place!

SO TRUE
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    that the dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had
  • sicilysclover
    sicilysclover Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Another friend recently told me that their wife thought Nutella was health food as well and insisted on having it regularly.

It's CRAZY how many people think Nutella is healthy. Look at the freaking label! It's sugar with some nuts and chocolate thrown in!

To be fair - the commercials for it are so misleading!! If a company says its "hazlenuts and a sprinkle of cocoa" i'd buy it thinking it was healthy. Since I've been on MFP though, I know better. I think it's so unfair that marketing for a product can make you believe its all-natural and healthy.

To be fair I have never seen that used to describe Nutella. That said.....Can you tell me why it's so unhealthy?

Really? I see the commercial all the time - with the mom who is putting Nutella on the whole wheat toast. "Nutella is made with skim milk, hazelnuts, and a hint of cocoa"

Take a look at this link:

http://www.factorfictionnutritionblog.com/2010/01/nutrition-imposter-nutella.html

I honestly don't even like Nutella either way so I tried it once and never ate it again. My point is advertising for foods should show the whole picture. It's not JUST nuts, skim, milk and cocoa.

Then again, the point of advertising is to sell so....

I'm not saying DONT EVER EAT NUTELLA! I agree - everything in moderation, do what works for you. If you like nutella and eat it for breakfast and you're losing - awesome. I just disagree with the misleading advertisements that fail to mention the high amount of sugar.
  • sicilysclover
    sicilysclover Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    And, I find it kind of funny, I find it kind of sad, but the dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had.

a little random but I always welcome a mad world quote!!!
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Not on topic, but this post got the song Mad World stuck in my head. Thank you.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Not on topic, but this post got the song Mad World stuck in my head. Thank you.

Me toooo! I had to YouTube the Tears for Fears version and listen to it.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Filet-O-Fish®
    5 oz
    (143 g)
    Nutrition Facts

Calories

Total Fat (g)

Carbohydrates (g)

Dietary Fiber (g)

Sugars (g)
    Protein (g)
    % DAILY VALUE
    Vitamin A
    Calcium
    Iron
  • mmachick2011
    mmachick2011 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Green tea "drinks", trail mix(handfuls and handfuls of the stuff, it has alot of calories!), power bars, fried chicken sandwiches (yes its chicken, but its not healthy if its deep fried!), salads covered in full-fat dressings & cheeses, I could go on and on.

Ha! a coworker switched out her candy bar afternoon snack for trail mix packs she got at Costco.... you know... the ones with nuts, more calories, M&Ms, and each pack is TWO servings?? Yeah... she has put on weight and was *****ing because she doesn't know why since she is snacking healthier now! I bought her candy bar to show her the label difference. And then offered some of my mini bell peppers. She looked at me like I just grew a third boob.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Well, a Filet-o-Fish IS healthy compared to a snickers bar and a coke for lunch, no?

400 cal.... I don't see why someone can't have one every now and then

Well, a snickers bar is 220 cals, and a can of coke is 140 cals (total 360 cals), so calorie-wise, the filet-o-fish at 380 cals is worse! It also has much more fat. I am NOT advocating having candy and soda for lunch, I am just pointing out the numbers.

If you are looking at numbers you would want to look at other nutrients besides calories which will determine if a food is "healthy" The fish has more protein (15 gm) and the snickers and coke around 5 gm. Just pointing out numbers.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    My husband made french toast Sunday morning, with cinnamon raisin bread. He kept offering it to me. Then he says "but it's just bread and eggs. There aren't any calories in bread right?" :laugh:
  • tecofit
    tecofit Posts: 1
    Options
    great points!!
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    Food is food.
    It's tough to eat pure natural and healthy.
    All the time.

Just eat what you want.
    We can exercise hard, eat perfectly, but we're all going to die anyways.

Nutella may not be healthy, but it's better than other things.

A fish sandwhich with some processed cheese and mayo, better than a greasy beef burger with some processed cheese and mayo.

Chocolate milk, I LIVED on that as a kid. AND not to blame for my obesity, I didn't get crazily obese until I lived on my own and couldn't afford whole balanced meals, and over binged on junk.

Nothing is perfect, not even food.
    But there are other alternatives.

Stop being so nit picky, not everyone wants to be a health nut.
    And atleast they are TRYING to be health concious.
    I;d be so happy if my boyfriend would prefer these so called horrible things that are healthier in my eyes.
    I mean, not hamburger helper, or anything boxed (fake potatoes etc)
    Or anything PACKED with chemicals.

REminder, not all words you can't pronounce are unhealthy. Some healthier things have scientific names.
    I saw that on the Dr's LOL

Yes, some things you might as well eat the real thing because real bacon, is healthier than turkey/chicken bacon.
    If you're going to have bacon, have real bacon, only 50 or so more calories, but normal. Whereas turkey and chicken bacons have alot of chemicals.

But no reason to loook down on people who may not be health concious.
    But they ARE eating better than they could be.
    Or atleast trying.

Not everything everybody eats is going to be healthy unless you're a rabbit, or bob harper, or something.

Fresh whole everything.

I bet we could all go through everybodies diary on here and find one thing and say "OH LOOK AT THAT, not healthy"
    I ate canned soup today !
    OH NOES !
    CALL THE EFFING NUTRITION POLICE !

Everything in moderation.
    :)

Exactly my sentiments, and I stand firmly behind the advice that people should eat more real bacon...

Most of you would be shocked to look at my diary, and I love it!
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Salads - some people think that all salads a good. But throw on the bacaon, cheese, fried chicken, creamy dresing...:huh:

^This. Loading it up with all of that junk and having 2 lettuce leafs doesn't not make it healthy. :laugh:

There are way too many to list but it does blow my mind what people consider 'healthy'

A co-worker logged PIZZA as healthy because her meat lovers had bell peppers on it. :huh: