I find it kinda sad...

Options

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Another friend recently told me that their wife thought Nutella was health food as well and insisted on having it

To be fair nutella has been advertised as "1/2 the fat of peanut butter and 1/2 the sugar of jam"
    So the advertising does try to pretend its healthy.
    If you did't know that pb has massess of fat nd jam sugar, you could easily be misled

You know, it is quite illegal for a company to make a false claim about its product. If they made a quantifiable statement like that, it is because it is true. They didn't suggest that it was, in fact, an abstract concept of 'healthy' since 'healthy' is a relative term anyway. They provided factual information about their product to suggest as an alternative to other products. Nothing unethical or illegal about that whatsoever.
  • sweetmspea
    Options
    Just about at every restuarant there are healthier options. So if you compare a filet o fish to some of the other options, you are doing pretty dang good.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Eat more to lose weight. Seriously!?! So a person has been eating 2500 calories and is 50 lbs over weight. How is eating more going to help??? The only to lose weight is to burn more and eat less.
  • VeggieKidMandy
    VeggieKidMandy Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Salads - some people think that all salads a good. But throw on the bacon, cheese, fried chicken, creamy dressing...:huh:
    i agree with you on that....I remember people would go to fuddruckers and order a chicken Cesar salad...and it's almost as bad for you as the burger.
  • addaline22
    addaline22 Posts: 114
    Options
    my mom heard pop corn is a healthy snack. we know that one cup plain pop corn is ok. she takes this to mean a whole bag of a movie butter variety. drives me CRAZY!!!
  • It_never_ends
    It_never_ends Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I was told it's not what you eat but how much. Ok in the grand world of weight loss this is true but for health this is BS. Also that beer is a healthy beverage to have after a run.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    My husband made french toast Sunday morning, with cinnamon raisin bread. He kept offering it to me. Then he says "but it's just bread and eggs. There aren't any calories in bread right?" :laugh:

HAHA. Is he skinny?? My fiancee (skinny) knows not to feed me/offer anything but fruits, veggies, tea and coffee when I am dieting. I have made it clear! :laugh:
  • amselby81
    amselby81 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    My mother-in-law is diabetic, and she buys 100 calorie packs of cookies and stuff. Which, I can understand that it has the cookies already portioned out for her, so if she usually eats a lot of cookies, doing the 100 calorie packs would be "better" for her. But she seems to think that they are special cookies and that they are totally okay for her to eat. They still have sugar! My father-in-law (her husband) knows better, b/c he has diabetes really bad and really has to watch what he eats, and he's tried to tell her, but she won't listen.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I was told it's not what you eat but how much. Ok in the grand world of weight loss this is true but for health this is BS. Also that beer is a healthy beverage to have after a run.

I like drinking beer after I run..it's got the carbz
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    Eat more to lose weight. Seriously!?! So a person has been eating 2500 calories and is 50 lbs over weight. How is eating more going to help??? The only to lose weight is to burn more and eat less.

That is not what eat more to lose weight is about. You are still eating at a deficit, just less of one than those that end up eating way too little.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options

I like drinking beer after I run..it's got the carbz

^^QFT
  • SmexAppeal
    SmexAppeal Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I have personally found milk to be overrated. The calcium that you get from it is not even substantial. I've even read that is is pus in cow's milk! UGH... cow tiittie puss... NASTY. And no, I didn't just hear this, I read it from an accredited source. So I switched to Almond Milk and I love it!

But overall, have you looked around you lately OP?? It's not even just about health. People have NO common sense.
    In the words of the great Green Day

"Been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding
    The cretins cloning and feeding"
  • Need2bfit918
    Need2bfit918 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    my friend I did daycare for told me basically to mind my own business and let her kids eat what they want and how much they want at my house. 2 of her kids, 7 and 12 year ols, were individually eating more than my husband and myself combined at each meal. Her 6 year old equaled what I ate and they would all ask for a snack within 1/2 hour from when we ate.

She thinks fat is "cute". She said not to worry about what they ate here because it was up to the parents to deal with their nutrition. They ate like 5 meals here a week, so quite a good percent of their nutrition. 2 of the kids wouldn't drink milk with meals because I refuse to give flavored milk at mealtime. Mom agreed with them so they would get the calcium, I still refused.

I know they would go home and eat a pizza or whole meal as a really late night snack. I am 100% sure that is why she now keeps them home with their older sister, because I was teaching them substitutions, labels and only making enough for each person to have 1 serving. I always limited cheese and sour cream to a teaspoon and NEVER had treats when they were here. EVER! These are kis that LOVE apples, bananas, no fat yogurt, carrots, cucumbers and plain chicken. In my mind, no way should these kids ever have started their obese patterns. Dad was on disability with the possiblity of never working again and a really good possibilty that he would die in his sleep at about 45 years old. Mom is a super unhealthy weight and promotes how sexy big is. The 12 year old weighed as much as I do last year and wears the same size jeans. She is really unhappy and has a hard time getting along with anyone. So sad.

people are often in denial.
    Kids need saturated fat so their brains can develop. Everyone needs fat but especially kids.

Pretty sure you didn't mean to say "saturated fat" that one is always bad. Perhaps you meant good fats like monoUNsaturated fats?
    show me research to prove this if you can. and coconut oil is saturated, is it also unhealthy?
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    I have had someone say that ice cream is good for you since it contains milk. Same person also said a Wendy's hamburger is good because you cover several food groups (meat, vegetables - lettuce and tomato, bread, dairy - cheese). sadly misinformed.

Nothing wrong with either of those. I find it sad that too many people think like this.
  • yallcallmedeb
    Options
    Finances and good nutrition are two of the really important elements of education that are not taught at all.

This is SO true and look at our current generation of students and new grads. They have problems with both finance and nutrition! When it comes down to it, these are both simply math. Take out the two trains heading in opposite direction math problems and replace them with financial calculations and nutritional calculations. By educating our youth on finances and nutrition, we can truly change their lives for the better!
  • xSCiNTILLATEx79
    xSCiNTILLATEx79 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I have personally found milk to be overrated. The calcium that you get from it is not even substantial. I've even read that is is pus in cow's milk! UGH... cow tiittie puss... NASTY. And no, I didn't just hear this, I read it from an accredited source. So I switched to Almond Milk and I love it!

I refuse to drink Milk and If I do it has to be organic even then I get a little queezy. I try to stay away from Milk at all costs, and limit any other Dairy... they are putting bad stuff in the Milk and Water.

Milk the Bacterial Cocktail, puss included

http://www.onegreenplanet.org/lifestyle/milk-the-bacterial-cocktail-part-2/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/dairy-free-dairy-6-reason_b_558876.html
    http://saveourbones.com/osteoporosis-milk-myth/
    http://www.waoy.org/9.html
  • KristysLosing
    Options
    I stopped allowing them to eat there when my son told me he had two pieces of pizza and a chocolate milk. I was livid. Why the F*** do they have chocolate milk as an option? Are you f***ing kidding me? In an elementary school?

Whoa, there are things in school that worry me lots more than chocolate milk. I would prefer my kid drink chocolate milk of a lot of other things. Chocolate milk doesn't really contain much more sugar than the lactose in white milk provides. PLus they will get just as much sugar if not more from whatever juice or soda a school offers. At least the chocolate milk has health benefits.

I support chocolate milk!!:laugh:

Thank you! I agree! When I pour my kid a cup of milk and mix some Quik in it...it's still a whole cup of milk. Yes, it has more calories, but it's still milk. And quite frankly, they burn it off.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    my friend I did daycare for told me basically to mind my own business and let her kids eat what they want and how much they want at my house. 2 of her kids, 7 and 12 year ols, were individually eating more than my husband and myself combined at each meal. Her 6 year old equaled what I ate and they would all ask for a snack within 1/2 hour from when we ate.

She thinks fat is "cute". She said not to worry about what they ate here because it was up to the parents to deal with their nutrition. They ate like 5 meals here a week, so quite a good percent of their nutrition. 2 of the kids wouldn't drink milk with meals because I refuse to give flavored milk at mealtime. Mom agreed with them so they would get the calcium, I still refused.

I know they would go home and eat a pizza or whole meal as a really late night snack. I am 100% sure that is why she now keeps them home with their older sister, because I was teaching them substitutions, labels and only making enough for each person to have 1 serving. I always limited cheese and sour cream to a teaspoon and NEVER had treats when they were here. EVER! These are kis that LOVE apples, bananas, no fat yogurt, carrots, cucumbers and plain chicken. In my mind, no way should these kids ever have started their obese patterns. Dad was on disability with the possiblity of never working again and a really good possibilty that he would die in his sleep at about 45 years old. Mom is a super unhealthy weight and promotes how sexy big is. The 12 year old weighed as much as I do last year and wears the same size jeans. She is really unhappy and has a hard time getting along with anyone. So sad.

people are often in denial.
    Kids need saturated fat so their brains can develop. Everyone needs fat but especially kids.

Pretty sure you didn't mean to say "saturated fat" that one is always bad. Perhaps you meant good fats like monoUNsaturated fats?

Saturated fats are needed for children, especially those under 5 yo. After 5 the amount they need goes down. Good fats are needed too, but young children do need more saturated fat than older children and adults.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Lol @ chocolate milk terror.
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    The majority of people have no idea how many calories they need, or how many calories are in most regular food... They r totally clueless, but then so was I until last may when I found this place!

^ Me too. In her defense, fish generally is a healthier option than red meat. Not saying a fish filet from Mc D's is healthy but i can see where her mind set was. Everybody has to start somewhere right?