I find it kinda sad...

Options

Replies

• msfayzer
    Options
    There is a VERY big difference between healthy and low calorie.

Avocados, for example, are very high calorie but are very good for you. If you aren't looking to loose weight, avocados are a great healthy option. However, if you are counting calories, they can be detrimental depending on how much you eat.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Personally... I don't blame food for my obesity. I blame poor decision-making. I find it funny how several posts in this thread mention skinny people suggesting a treat as healthy alternative to something less healthy and you all want to blame fast metabolism... guess what... Their metabolism isn't any different than yours. Metabolism isn't some mystical power that varies in potency from person to person. Calorie deficit is the only thing that impacts metabolism. If you want a faster metabolism, eat less and move more. If you think denying yourself treats will get you there, then more power to you, but there is a significant psychological component to weight loss, and blaming food is a recipe for disaster where that is concerned.

Best of luck to you all.

Calorie deficit is not the only thing that affects metabolism. Hormones have an affect and our metabolism naturally slows with age.
  • MommyCat2012
    MommyCat2012 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Going to Souplantation and seeing people pile on the salad 12inches high on 2 plates because the tray can carry 2 plates. Then go back for the cornbread, pasta, soup, muffins, etc. for the side dishes. And then watch them go for seconds & thirds for lemonade, Acai tea or raspberry lemonade to wash it all down. I suppose it's healthier, but how long to work it off?
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    My fiance thinks that all soup = healthy. He hates soup, but I've been sick lately so he's been bringing me home soup when he gets off work. Sweet, but so misguided.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Personally... I don't blame food for my obesity. I blame poor decision-making. I find it funny how several posts in this thread mention skinny people suggesting a treat as healthy alternative to something less healthy and you all want to blame fast metabolism... guess what... Their metabolism isn't any different than yours. Metabolism isn't some mystical power that varies in potency from person to person. Calorie deficit is the only thing that impacts metabolism. If you want a faster metabolism, eat less and move more. If you think denying yourself treats will get you there, then more power to you, but there is a significant psychological component to weight loss, and blaming food is a recipe for disaster where that is concerned.

Best of luck to you all.

Calorie deficit is not the only thing that affects metabolism. Hormones have an affect and our metabolism naturally slows with age.

I will give you that cortisol does impact metabolism, but the point to my post was that no one is born with a 'magical' metabolism that allows them to eat whatever they want. And as far as the natural slowing that occurs with age that happens to everybody.
  • suddenbeth
    Options
    Alot of the people I know are doing this crazy HCG diet thing. I feel rude telling them that they are only starving themselves and that diets like that are the first step towards yo-yoing yourself big.

Ohhhh! My girlfriend drives me crazy! She says I'm crazy for counting calories, that if I just eat healthy foods I'll be okay. So she buys low fat pb and whole wheat bread and what not (having like 3 sandwiches for snacks between meals) or tons of juices because "its not soda," ect. ect. My other favorite is when people buy candy that's pure sugar and eating it like its going out of style, because the label says "fat free."
  • confettibetti
    confettibetti Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I agree. My boyfriend's mother once complained to me about how an overweight relative would bring chips to a family potluck, and of course because this woman is overweight she would bring something unhealthy. She then commented that she was going to bring some nice, healthy vegetables in the form of green bean casserole. I did not know what to say.

i giggled
  • Need2bfit918
    Need2bfit918 Posts: 133 Member
    Options

Best of luck to you all.

I will give you that cortisol does impact metabolism, but the point to my post was that no one is born with a 'magical' metabolism that allows them to eat whatever they want. And as far as the natural slowing that occurs with age that happens to everybody.
    yes some people can eat large amounts of junk and not gain. but that doesn't mean they won't develop diabetes or other diseases from those choices.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I was told it's not what you eat but how much. Ok in the grand world of weight loss this is true but for health this is BS. Also that beer is a healthy beverage to have after a run.

When I ran cross country, our coach was a big advocate of a beer after a competition.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    My husband used to give fruit roll-ups to his son mistakenly believing it was good nutrition. I told him he should just feed his son fruit. Then I showed my husband the nutrition stats on the fruit roll-ups compared to other candy like gummy bears, and he was shocked to discover that he had been feeding his child candy instead of a healthy snack.

Ditto on those cereal bars or granola bars. Yep, basically just cookies marketed as a "healthy" snack.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Best of luck to you all.

I'll agree that magic has nothing to do with it, but heredity can affect metabolism. If you take 50 healthy people of the same sex, age, weight and body composition and feed them the exact same foods and have them do the exact same exercises, there is no guarantee that they will all be the exact same size. Some people burn calories at a faster rate than others.

Also, eating less and moving more doesn't guarantee a faster metabolism. Carrying too much weight raises your metabolism so, depending on your starting weight, eating less and moving more could result in a slower metabolism because of weight loss.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    My husband made french toast Sunday morning, with cinnamon raisin bread. He kept offering it to me. Then he says "but it's just bread and eggs. There aren't any calories in bread right?" :laugh:

HAHA. Is he skinny?? My fiancee (skinny) knows not to feed me/offer anything but fruits, veggies, tea and coffee when I am dieting. I have made it clear! :laugh:

Yeah he couldn't gain a pound if he tried. He offers me stuff constantly!! He means well, but stop it honey!! No I can't have a handful of pringles!! lol Not that I couldn't if I din't have it worked in. But I'm a planner, I already have the day mapped out and that helps keep me on track. It's starting to sink in for him, now that I've yelled at him for a few months lol
  • LNZimmer
    LNZimmer Posts: 94
    Options

Best of luck to you all.

Please read this over and over again, great post

AMEN! I had fries for dinner last night, but I portioned them out, and even though I wanted to pig out on them, I ate only what was on my plate, and MAN were they heavenly. I am not upset at myself for allowing myself to have them. I went to the gym yesterday, went today, and will go every day this week as I usually do. I am eating less, moving more. I know why I got fat. Didn't care what I ate, didn't get off my butt, and got lazy. My boyfriend is a firm believer in the face that you can eat what you want (in some form of moderation) as long as you move. I don't eat anything I want, because I don't get to work out as much (I get a half hour a day on my lunch hour because I already work full time and will not take any more of my daughters time for something that isn't her fault. We do go out and play though!)

You have to eat, you have to move, just be smart :)
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

Best of luck to you all.

yes some people can eat large amounts of junk and not gain. but that doesn't mean they won't develop diabetes or other diseases from those choices.

Metabolism is not a thing. It is a general term to describe the bodily function of burning calories. Metabolic rate is the speed with which calories are burned. It fluctuates continually throughout the day. It doesn't stop or start and it only slows when your body is at rest. If some individuals are able to eat junk and not gain, it is because they carry more calorie-demanding muscle and are more active than other individuals.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1091498/pdf/pnas01945-0018.pdf
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Best of luck to you all.

Metabolism is not a thing. It is a general term to describe the bodily function of burning calories. Metabolic rate is the speed with which calories are burned. It fluctuates continually throughout the day. It doesn't stop or start and it only slows when your body is at rest. If some individuals are able to eat junk and not gain, it is because they carry more calorie-demanding muscle and are more active than other individuals.

Or they have more brown fat, which also increases metabolic rate.

I gotta agree with the person talking about people able to eat junk and not gain. I was one of those people for most of my life. I can tell you, I ate a LOT of crap and did not do any deliberate exercise and I wore a size 3. My metabolism most definitely slowed when I got to about 29 years old and it's pretty much gone on strike since I went on Mirena.

Having seen this change in my own body, I can't discount it.
  • KristysLosing
    Options
    And, I find it kind of funny, I find it kind of sad, but the dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had.

Yeah...this song is in my head because of this. :smile:
  • bcattoes
    Options

Best of luck to you all.

There are other reasons why they may be able to eat and eat without gaining besides muscle mass.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

Best of luck to you all.

Or they have more brown fat, which also increases metabolic rate.

I gotta agree with the person talking about people able to eat junk and not gain. I was one of those people for most of my life. I can tell you, I ate a LOT of crap and did not do any deliberate exercise and I wore a size 3. My metabolism most definitely slowed when I got to about 29 years old and it's pretty much gone on strike since I went on Mirena.

Having seen this change in my own body, I can't discount it.

The slowing of the metabolic rate is part of the natural aging process. Joints wear down, therefore, movement becomes less desirable which in turns slows the metabolic rate. I'm sure in your teens and twenties you were probably much more active than you are now.

The point that I'm trying to make people understand is that metabolism is a process that is performed exactly the same way between each individual. It is not the variable... metabolic rate is the variable.
  • Need2bfit918
    Need2bfit918 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    i worked with a guy for a while who could eat at a chinese buffet for lunch downing 2 or 3 plates of food, and then eat a huge mexican food dinner in the evening after having mcdonalds biscuits for breakfast. he weighed about 120 pounds and didnt have near the muscle mass i have. oh and in the evening he would sit around and drink beer. i personally know a lot of people who try and can't gain weight, and i know people who battle it so i don't believe all our bodies are the same.
  • ladykaisa
    ladykaisa Posts: 236 Member
    Options

The slowing of the metabolic rate is part of the natural aging process. Joints wear down, therefore, movement becomes less desirable which in turns slows the metabolic rate. I'm sure in your teens and twenties you were probably much more active than you are now.

Just to be a sh*tdisturber... I'm actually more active now then I ever was as a teenager... even though my joints are worse! ;)