COFFEE DRINKERS ADVICE NEEDED!

Options

Replies

• TracyGivens32
    Options
    Since I focus more on carb count then calories, I add a tbs of whipping cream ( zero carbs) and a tiny dribble of the sugar free coffee syrups. Seems to me, a good coffee in the a.m. is more satisfying then 2 or 3 "okay" coffees. A trick I have learned is to drink a full glass of water before drinking coffee and then I am not thirsty and not drinking more for the thirst factor.
  • Josette89
    Josette89 Posts: 244
    Options
    I DON'T KNOW IF ANYONE KNOWS THIS BUT REAL SUGAR IS BETTER FOR YOU THAN ANYTHING CONCOCTED IN A LAB. Your body recognizes it and can synthesize it easier. I don't do pink packets, yellow packets, blue packets, and I don't even do white packets any more. I'm devoted to my brown packets. Raw sugar all the way. :)
  • ashleyminus30
    ashleyminus30 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Coffee, 2 tsp powdered coffee mate, and 2 splenda packets. If I am in the mood for sugar, I use sugar instead. I also only have the one coffee in the morning, and drink water the rest of the day.

I absolutely refuse to change my coffee. If I have to do 20 extra jumping jacks, then so be it! I will have my coffee the way I like it!
  • lisa1953
    Options
    I love my coffee too!! ...and sweet and light.....but I've weaned myself off everyday. Even though you take a creamer and sugar sub, I don't think there is anything better than the real thing. It's just worth it for a good cup of coffee; so I use light cream and sugar.

For all the healthy minded people out there....of which I am one....I wouldn't use anything synthetic, that is, processed junk in my coffee or anything else for that matter. And be careful of ANYTHING that says "Natural" or Naturally flavored! That means something different than you might think.

I also like the idea of using almond milk or the little half and half cups....thanks for those good ideas.
  • sicilysclover
    sicilysclover Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I'm an avid coffee drinker too. During the week I stick to skim/soy milk and 1 splenda (I go to Au Bon Pain, get the hazlenut coffee and use skim/soy milk so I still have hazlenut but no calories because of it). On the weekend I brew myself so I have regular coffee and I "treat" myself with no-fat hazlenut creamer, one teaspoon (I like my coffee kind of dark) and 1 splenda. I also read adding cinnamon to your coffee gives it flavor with no calories but I haven't tried that yet.
  • aspalmertree
    Options
    HILLS BROS. SUGAR FREE VANILLA - 25 CALS TBSP OR
    HILLS BROS. ENGLISH TOFFEE- 40 CALS TBSP OR
    INTERNATIONAL COFFEES- CREAMER SINGLES IN CARAMEL MACCHIATTO- 30 CALS

ALL OF THESE ARE GREAT!!!
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I have to have my 2 cups every morning or the world just isn't right. Period. I've tried various ways to lower the calorie count, like artificial sweeteners, & they were just okay. I eventually decided that I like real sugar in my coffee enough to keep it that way, though I do use the flavored sugar-free CoffeeMate. Vanilla caramel is my fave but French vanilla will do in a pinch.

I don't have a super low calorie target though so calories from coffee aren't a big deal to me, but when I think about it, before I lost weight I did have SBUX frapps at least once a month & those are like a billion calories, so I've done away with those almost entirely, with vacations being the only exception.

Here's an idea you coffee lovers might enjoy:

Iced Coffee Protein Shake
    1 cup cold coffee
    1 c skim milk (or whatever type of milk you drink)
    1 scoop whey protein
    1 oz sugar-free DaVinci or Torani syrup

I mix it up in a shaker bottle & chill, but you could reduce the coffee & milk by half & add ice then blend for a frapp-like concoction.
  • ScarletKuriboh
    Options
    I only use sweet n low sugar substitute, and two tablespoons skim milk, cuz I hate the taste of any liquid dairy product. Some days I drink it black, depending on the mood. Espresso is black as well, love it so much that I have an espresso maker at my house and at the bf's, even tho he doesn't drink coffee.

I cannot live without caffeine. I try to drink extra water if I have a lot, and since I don't usually go out of the tea-water-coffee cycle, I think it's ok.
  • amtimmons23
    Options
    I'm SO glad you asked this question! I drink my coffee the same as you and I hate the added calories =/ Thanks to everyone else for the good tips. maybe i'll be able to transition to black coffee...someday =/
  • kvcreed
    kvcreed Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Get quality coffee with perfect roast...then drink it black.
    That is what I do :)
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I actually weaned down from half and half to the fat free half and half to skim to black....little by little.
  • macjenkins
    macjenkins Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm sure this has already been said but I didn't want to read through 10 pages to find it.

I use sugar free french vanilla creamer. No sweetener. CoffeMate, International Delight or Kroger brand if none of the others are on sale. It's 15 cals per 2 tbsp (ID is 20).
  • dreamchaser12
    dreamchaser12 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Love my coffee too!! Won't give it up! I use Stevia and Light 5% cream that is 15 calories per Tbsp. I only use 1 Tbsp. Just can't use milk, it's not the same.
  • zeebruhgirl
    zeebruhgirl Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Almond milk unsweetened and half a teaspoon of splenda :]
  • tcalamity
    tcalamity Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I use skimmed milk and sugar. I enjoy one coffee in the morning and one before bedtime and I really look forward to and enjoy it!! :)
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking coffee for years - I've always been thin/in shape since drinking it! I usually put 2 tablespoons of half n half in it, and maybe one packet of Truvia, but lately I haven't been adding it in. I usually drink 1 cup a day, but sometimes I will drink two. I get a nice workout after my morning coffee! I'll never stop drinking.
  • katheern
    katheern Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I drink 16oz of coffee in the morning with 2tbsp of half and half. I find the fattier the milk, I don't need any sweetener or sugar at all. I use Trader Joes brand which is only about 35 calories for those 2tbsp.
  • insidemelookingout
    Options
    I usually waste about 100 -120 on my coffee.

It is the one thing I refuse to give up.

I could use sugar free but don't like chemicals. I LOVE my stupid creamer. lol. I just work out extra hard to make up for it. I love Truvia in tea but for some reason not in my coffee.
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I like mochas. I put 2 tablespoons of Swiss Miss in and brew a cup. YUM! It's 72 calories
  • Yoshima
    Yoshima Posts: 58
    Options
    I till use a tsp of sugar, but use a couple tbsp of unsweetened vanilla almond milk now (5 calories). It has a creamy taste. I use if for cereal, and just to drink too, now. I don't do cows milk anymore. 1 cups of Almond Breeze is only 40 calories.