paralympics

Options
meerkat70
meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
I hear the US has no coverage of the paralympics (or is it just the ceremony?) What's that about??

Replies

• vonnywaft
    vonnywaft Posts: 182
    Options
    Seems a bit rubbish if its true!
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Nope, no coverage. We are about to start the college football (real football, not soccer) season and the NFL. Nobody would be watching the paralympics.
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Nope. only ~GB and Australia are broadcasting live. rude!
  • meerkat70
    Options
    Nope, no coverage. We are about to start the college football (real football, not soccer) season and the NFL. Nobody would be watching the paralympics.

Ah of course. A sport only played in the US is naturally far more important....

Seriously. Sometimes you americans really don't do your own reputation any favours. Rise above the stereotype!
  • Run4UrHealth
    Run4UrHealth Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I am an American and I have to say that even though I do not agree with it...it seems to be true that football will be aired on every available channel. I do not care much for football but it is crazy how serious it is taken here in the US. The stations go with what will get the most views...it is almost a fight over who will be able to show what game. I would love to see the paralympics (I have never seen them).
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Real football involves using your feet, playing a full 90 minutes, no time outs, no video replay delays and is the most beautiful game known to humankind (a fact that is appreciated by the 95% of the world's population outside of the USA....):happy:

Sadly we have very limited coverage of the Paralympics here in Canada too.
  • Ruthe8
    Ruthe8 Posts: 423 Member
    Options

Seriously. Sometimes you americans really don't do your own reputation any favours. Rise above the stereotype!
    Why should US coverage revolve around what's popular in the rest of the world? That's stupid.
  • meerkat70
    Options

Why should US coverage revolve around what's popular in the rest of the world? That's stupid.

Not as stupid as people imagining that just because people are disabled, their sport is somehow insignificant. YOU have athletes here. Or do they just not matter as much as your "able bodied" competitors?
  • meerkat70
    Options

Thanks, that's a really interesting article. I do tend to agree with activists who can't understand why the coverage is so scaled back though. Seems a shame.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I think because the paralympics are also going on when pre-season football is going on..they wont show it....i do think its sad.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    It's ridiculous. I would LOVE to watch the paralympics (as someone in a wheelchair it really inspires me), but every time I can never find any coverage...
  • poncho33
    poncho33 Posts: 1,511
    Options

What? I don't think anyone would say the paralympics isn't a good thing, American or not. The fact of the matter is it won't get watched by enough people... so why would a network put it on tv?? Plus we know our athletes will take home the most medals
  • meerkat70
    Options

What? I don't think anyone would say the paralympics isn't a good thing, American or not. The fact of the matter is it won't get watched by enough people... so why would a network put it on tv?? Plus we know our athletes will take home the most medals

It won't get watched. But no-one thinks it isn't important.

Huh?

there's a vicious cycle in operation. It isn't shown. So it isn't watched. So people think it doesn't matter. (And you might know a bit more about your own team's rather limited chances, if you were able to actually watch the events... )
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    Canadian and we don't have any coverage of the paralympics.
    I would really like to watch swimming it is amazing how some of them are blind and still swim.
    Being a national competitor for swimming I got to see swimmers with no legs and arms, blind etc swim and it is amazing.
  • Cat_296
    Cat_296 Posts: 40
    Options
    I don't know whether the live video feeds will work outside the UK, but many events will be streamed live on paralympics.channel4.com. Worth a shot - the opening ceremony is on there now!
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Global/Issues/2012/08/28/Media/Paralympics.aspx

LOCOG said that more than 100 countries "will take TV coverage of the Paralympics," according to Jacquelin Magnay of the London TELEGRAPH. Eleven new deals, including a contract with the European Broadcast Union, has resulted in a total of 36 separate broadcast contracts. Int'l Paralympic Committee President Philip Craven claimed the cumulative TV audience will tally "a record four billion worldwide," beating the figures of 3.8 billion from the '08 Beijing Paralympics. Channel 4's £9M ($14M) contract to broadcast the Games within the U.K. "was a record for the Paralympic movement." The Games also have "a Paralympic specific sponsor" in online grocery store Sainsbury's. The new contracts are for American markets of the U.S., Canada, South and Central America -- including Venezuela -- New Zealand, Malaysia, Singapore, Ireland and Iran.
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear you can't see it!

I've been looking foward to this for ages! I can't believe it's not being shown, it's not been shown on the BBC here but on a commercial channel and I'm not sure if they have international branches or not : /

Perhaps they'll be a channel showing highlights?
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

Think again, this is the biggest ever Paralympics, tickets almost sold out 2.5million on offer - 2.4million sold. It is a shame the US could not even use one of it's 100 channels to air it.
  • bobbymathews
    bobbymathews Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Actually kind of aggravated that there isn't coverage (and I'm American). I have a good friend who's part of the women's basketball team (defending champs from Beijing), so I'll be following the results and watching the webcast when I can.