Does anyone else count house work as exercise?

Options

Replies

• WickedBean
    WickedBean Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    so I get that house cleaning = moving = burning calories. But in terms of weight loss etc I have a question....

Did you not clean your house before you started cutting calories?

Im assuming so, so how can that make a difference?

The difference is in tracking your intake. I would go to the gym, walk, bike, do weights with machines, swim, and all of those other things everyone obviously considers "real" exercise but still never lost scale weight for years.

I actually gained weight while swimming - and not leisure swimming... lane swim.. at a good pace.. I wasn't tracking anything I would get hungry and be like "Oh I swam today I will eat this." and boom... eating all the food made me fat and I was active.

OP - if you think that cleaning is exercise add it. I only add deep cleaning (which I do like once a month because I am a procrastinator) but if you are going to stay on track better tracking EVERYTHING do it. And FYI.... some people DIDN'T clean their house before they started this. I have a friend (not on here) that just got to the point where they can clean their house with their weight loss - until recently they paid someone to come in and do it for them... they also work from home and stayed in bed all the time. So for some yes daily cleaning is exercise.. Just sayin.
  • cpaman87
    cpaman87 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    No. It doesn't seem to get my heart rate up so I don't want to count it.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    if you log cleaning, yard work, moving, cooking, and other domestic activities as exercise, you're just kidding yourself.

i did not do two triathlons and three mud runs, and dead lift 310lbs from logging cleaning.

tumblr_m4k14qrOO41qdthrw.gif
  • gurganuss
    gurganuss Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    On saturday morning, I clean my house from top to bottom and yes you better believe I count that because it takes me usually an hour if not more and I sweat my butt off.
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    If it was hard work then yes I do include it although I would try very hard not to 'eat' those calories back
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    If I'm doing more than normal, yes. Depends on how I have my calories set up too. If I have it set to sedentary (which right now I have it set just a little higher) then I'm more likely to strap on my hrm and track it. Only if it's more than just piddly stuff though
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Cos I wear a fitbit, any running up and down the stairs with ironing etc all counts towards my step total so yeah - fitbit adjusts with MFP and I get the calorie benefit
  • ggcat
    ggcat Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    No. Never. Everyday activity should be included in your daily activity level. I actually enjoy "working out." Anything extra is considered a bonus.

When you choose your activity level- this would be already accounted for. Exercise is getting your heart rate up for extended periods of time. Unless your jogging around and cleaning- Then NO.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    The day to day laundry, dishwashing, dusting, sweeping, cooking etc no. But if its move the furniture, beat the rugs, haul bags of mulch, move pavers, shovel 2 feet of snow - then yes I do. Grocery shopping - no - hauling 15 bags of groceries, 40 lbs of cat litter and 30 pounds of chow up three floors - you bet! It may use different muscles than the treadmill but if you shaking by the time your done it most certainly counts!!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    if you log cleaning, yard work, moving, cooking, and other domestic activities as exercise, you're just kidding yourself.

i did not do two triathlons and three mud runs, and dead lift 310lbs from logging cleaning.

tumblr_m4k14qrOO41qdthrw.gif

Overachiever. :grumble:
  • logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    Options
    I don't... anything I consider part of my normal routine I don't log. Anything extra I do to work up a sweat (mowing the lawn for my parents for example) I log.
  • NanaDino4
    Options
    Yes i count it because for the most part we don't do housework every day ( and yea there are some who say they do..yea right) but anyways...count it because you are up and moving and burning calories.
  • ashharris424
    ashharris424 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    If it's something that was already part of your routine before you started trying to get in shape, I wouldn't log it. The way I look at it is if you were "maintaining" at that level of activity already then it doesn't really count as exercise, it's routine. You were already burning that amount of calories and not losing, so why would it make a difference now that you are "aware" of your daily caloric intake? Now, if you're going above and beyond what you would normally do, then yes, log some additional time in for that.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Sure, I clean. I do other activities. Heck, I even walk 4 miles a day to and from work when it doesn't rain (most days a week). I have sex. Good, raucous dirty fast paced sex too. I cook, I scrub floors, flip mattresses etc. I don't log any of it. Why? Because it's part of my lifestyle.

You're only fooling yourself.
  • Doesntplaynice82
    Doesntplaynice82 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I did not read through all the posts but I just wanted to say that I have seen people on my friends list log housework and it says something like "light cleaning, chores" duration 1 hours calories burned 678.....um...I don't think so. I would really get a heart rate monitor to see if that is true because I can barely burn that running on a treadmill for an hour!
  • AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    When it's just daily little cleaning I don't. But when I do the big cleaning once a week then I do. If I'm sweaty I don't see why it shouldn't count!
  • evdenapoli
    evdenapoli Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I really recently started..If it is vigorous enough..why not right? ..it's more accurate
  • evdenapoli
    evdenapoli Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    That is a great point...I also use a heart rate monitor...
  • Effpcos
    Effpcos Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I don't log any exercise other than things I've done specifically, eg elliptical, walking, or things I don't normally do, eg stacking firewood, digging garden.
    When I first signed up to MFP I put my lifestyle as "lightly active", I think that covers the things I do day to day as a housewife and mother of 5, so I won't add them in.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I don't. If it is a major scrub of the whole house, maybe. When I was gaining 50 pounds I still cleaned my house and it didn't stop me from gaining...