Does anyone else count house work as exercise?

Options

Replies

• jbbattles
    Options
    I do if I'm cleaning for more than 30 minutes and have sweat dripping down my back. Otherwise I don't.
  • rumor23
    rumor23 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I would if I put some effort into it. Hate housework. It is just easier to raise dust bunnies than to clean them
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I only did once when I was doing a spring cleaning sort of thing. Spent all day making my house shine like a new nickel so I missed my usual workout. My hunny counts yardwork. But he should because he's been taming blackberry bushes that were out of control. I once had a "friend" on here that entered 30 or 60 mins of house work every day. And since she always used every single one of those exercise calories I think she just did it so she didn't go over in her diary. I never saw her enter any other exercise. It was kinda hard to take her weightloss goals seriously and since she stopped logging on for over a week and never had contact with me much anyway I just deleted her. If your exercise is serious work and in addition to working out, I say go ahead and enter it. But on a daily basis? No. Doing laundry and dishes is not exercise.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    If I cleaned like a house wife (scrubbing floors and tubs, vaccumming, sweeping, mobbing; hard work), I would. I clean a little here and there so I dont count it.
  • econut2000
    econut2000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I log cleaning because I'm handicapped and unable to do a whole lot. What I do is not part of my normal routine and usually requires a buttload of energy! lol

I think everyone needs to do what is best for them.
  • SRB8710
    SRB8710 Posts: 90
    Options
    I would not log it because if you think about it you weren't losing weight before so obviously its not enough to get your heart rate up. So I think of it as cheating.
  • restoreleanne
    restoreleanne Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    No, I count that as already part of my total daily activities.

Im a stay at home mom that is part of my job, would would not log typing.
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    only if it's excessive. I don't log my normal cleaning but I will log it if I spent the day scrubbing floors and all that fun stuff.
  • jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I don't log normal housework, but I do log "the in-laws are coming for a visit" cleaning. They're allergic to cats and we have seven, so it's far above and beyond normal cleaning. If I have to move furniture and climb ladders, I'm logging it.

I'll also log heavier yard work and shoveling snow.

This exactly! When I'm doing the "in law cleaning" :noway: I wear my HRM too just to make it more worthwhile.
  • xLexa
    xLexa Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I wear my HRM when i do the BIG weekly clean pulling out sofas and desks etc getting in under the beds, scrubbing tile in the bathroom that kinda of thing. My husband used to do this and I would take the kids out so he could get on with it, but now I do it I guess because I can add it as exercise? I actually want to raise my activity level and I put a lot more effort into cleaning than I did before. However I do not log the daily stuff. Just the big.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    although I only count really vigorous cleaning or home projects (not doing dishes or laundry) I will admit I totally count sex calories. In my diary "low impact aerobics" = vigorous sex. (Not like slow old people sex)
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I log cleaning because I'm handicapped and unable to do a whole lot. What I do is not part of my normal routine and usually requires a buttload of energy! lol

I think everyone needs to do what is best for them.
    Definitely. That's what I meant when I said some people use more energy to do tasks other people normally take for granted, like dusting or putting dishes away. So yeah... in your case, I'd log it for sure. But for my friends who are 150 pounds and jog twenty miles every week, I'm going to side-eye an entry for "folding towels". ;)
  • dewdrops4life
    Options
    I log it only if it's a major cleaning day. (Sundays)

Normal day cleaning, laundry, dishes, sweeping I don't because I always do it, but on Sundays I get down on my knees with a toothbrush and scrubber in the bathroom and kitchen, scrub walls, constantly going up and down stairs, moving toy boxes etc... then I log it, but only as light/moderate rather than vigorous, even though I am going nonstop and sweating like a beast :)
  • chrisyoung0422
    chrisyoung0422 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I do not count anything unless it is working out or some other physical activity like volleyball, baseball etc. I think if people count all the little stuff they do there will be too many calories on the table leading to possible over eating. I know this would be an issue you for me.
  • letha62
    letha62 Posts: 14
    Options
    I count all my cleaning time. I can burn 600 to 1000 cals a day in my job.
  • kellya009
    kellya009 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I do . I have my lifestyle set to sedentary, as I'm mostly sitting on my butt studying. So anything I do other than walking I log. Plus we are slobs so I have to clean a lot!!
  • emmalouc93
    emmalouc93 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Well, mine is set at sedentary so I will log if it's EXTREMELY more than usual. Not on a daily basis, no.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't log it. For one, its just a part of life. There will be days you don't do much, and days where you go non stop. They tend to balance themselves out. It feels like cheating to me. I don't count all the steps I take pushing a shopping cart at Target, its just something I do on some days. I feel like the people who log every little thing they do are going to lose weight much slower and also, at times, want to have every single possible excuse to eat more. I'm not saying that includes you, but I do see the frequently. Recently someone even asked about logging calories burned while proctering an exam! I thought it was a joke!

My thoughts exactly. It was like you were in my head but managed to phase it better than I could lol. I think it's strange to call something you do (or should be doing ;-) ) on a daily basis exercise. It's like logging toilet trips or walking to the sink to get water! Daily chores to me are just part of normal life, your body should be used to doing activities like this, if you start logging and eating cals burnt from this. thats and everything I think it might hinder your progress,
  • GrammaBonnie
    GrammaBonnie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    If I'm going to do a big burst of heavy cleaning, I'll strap on the heart rate monitor. Sometimes I'll pause it, if the heart rate isn't there for the activity I'm doing. If it's enough of an effort, then I'll log it.
  • MouseTmom
    MouseTmom Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I don't log normal everyday cleaning but if I do heavy cleaning then I do. You know like moving furniture to clean under it, scrubbing the floor by hand, etc.