Sober September anyone?

Options

Replies

• kairisika
    kairisika Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    My god are there ever a lot of alcohol-dependent people here...

(Not those who say they enjoy a drink here and there, and have no desire to give it up. the ones who say they can't possibly imagine giving it up for a month. That's a substance dependency, people...)
  • Rowan813
    Rowan813 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I'm in and it won't be easy. I hope to hold out until vacation in Oct.
  • McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    My first thought was "great idea!" My second thought was "I have a wedding with a bunch of people I don't know on September 2!" So umm... yeah I will not be participating in this one, but good luck to you ;)

That's why I backed out of no alcohol august. Turns out they weren't even serving alcohol at the wedding -.- shoulda pregamed that one.

That is just.... that is just not ok. They should have given prior warning or something. People really need to know about that kind of thing so that they can plan accordingly. :drinker:
  • BrieLP
    BrieLP Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I'm in! Even though my so's bday is the 15th, I'll be DD :)

I was just telling my so this weekend that I wanted to quit drinking. Let's just say I had to spend $120 to wash and shampoo my brand new truck!

All bets are off in October, though. I'm getting married! :)
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up alcohol for the rest of my life...

So, yes :D
  • tenaheff
    tenaheff Posts: 88
    Options
    I'm in, but, then again, I don't drink anyway. For those who do drink, consider how many calories you will save. Why not set a goal not to drink until you lose X amount of weight? Say 20 pounds. Then have one drink and get back on for another 20 right up until you reach your goal.
  • lilfarmer23
    Options
    I've already decided to this about a week ago. Glad to see someone else thought of the idea too! I'll be right there with you!
  • mtmom1012
    mtmom1012 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    l'll join and try my best, because I know it's good for me. But I do love my whiskey...and I go back to teaching next week which always puts a stress on me. But hey....I did twice for 10 months while pregnant, so I think I can do a month!

:smile:
  • brianchi
    brianchi Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Good timing for this post. I've been sober 67 days and don't intend to ever do so again.

September 1st is my best friend's wedding......we may have had a couple thousand drinks together. That will mark the 70th day sober if I make it through.

I'll take this as a sign/reminder to stay strong. Count me in!
  • jf0311
    jf0311 Posts: 17
    Options
    Great idea!

Oh wait. Going to Jimmy Buffett concert on the 1st. Nevermind! :drinker:
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I'm in. Ever since i wanted to lose weight, I gave it up, don't miss it one bit.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Moderate alcohol consumption (no more than 1-2 drinks a day) is actually very healthy and good for weight loss. Barring an addiction, there's no good reason to give it up.
  • mtmom1012
    mtmom1012 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Great idea!

Oh wait. Going to Jimmy Buffett concert on the 1st. Nevermind! :drinker:

JEALOUS!!!
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I tried to join no drinking August and failed because I drank 3 days in August.
    I can say I've moved down to drinking 2ce a week only .. and thats the furthest I'll go.
    So I will join September Sometimes... if there is a forum for that :) LOL
    Good luck to you tho :)
  • GabeSpain
    GabeSpain Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Sorry, can't join you on this one!! Especially since a new college semester is about to start, which basically makes it impossible to not have alcohol, lol.
  • InvidiaXII
    InvidiaXII Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Booooo
  • AverageAngel
    AverageAngel Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    My first thought was "great idea!" My second thought was "I have a wedding with a bunch of people I don't know on September 2!" So umm... yeah I will not be participating in this one, but good luck to you ;)
    Lol. ditto My sister is having her wedding reception on the 8th. My new found half sister is getting remarried on the 22nd, where 3 more new half siblings will, be , and Possibly the sperm donor. That's right. One wiener. 5 kids that didn't know we existed till a year ago. I will be lucky if I don't end up in jail. and that would BE SOBER.. lol. I have cut way back though . just a nice scotch on the rocks or red wine for me. My husband says "two fingers of scotch , please" .. Now make horns with your fingers. Two fingers of scotch .. the first and the last. *smh.. :) i do love him.
  • wiggywompus
    wiggywompus Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm in. I know not drinking wine helps my weight loss and decreases my got flushes, but I still drink it. Mainly Friday or weekend. Stopped for Lent all the staff at work gave up something and I felt better for it. Cheers - here's to us. Well it is n't Sept yet!!!!
  • neetneetneets
    neetneetneets Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I'm a student so I lot of the social activities I go to involve drinking... I don't drink excessively because I don't like it, but will have a few. But what a good way to cut out empty calories! let's keep this thread fresh!
  • michelleindeed
    michelleindeed Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I just had a sober August, and I wasn't even trying. So, it could happen, but I'm not going to try one way or another. :)