Parents at fault for overweight children?

Options

Replies

• nonafit
    nonafit Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I am a parent for my overweight 9 yo son. :ohwell: And just scrolled and seems everyone here is blaming the parents for the childrens overweight issues.:grumble: :cry:

The truth is ...it's true. I screwed up and along the way I screwed up my son's well being too. :brokenheart:

I am correcting it now. Or at least die trying!!!

I had got him to start his own food and games journal. He writes down what he eats and the games he played and its duration.
    We had agreed to sit and look at it every end of the week and see how it goes - when, where and how the improvement can be made?

His punishment use to include no playing time in the park. But I had removed that from punishment category to necessity category. He needs the park...CRAZY MUCH to burn off whatever his consuming.

I had changed the weekdays are academic days as it literally means no comp and tv - only homework, tuitions etc with exception to play in the park which had been made a must. I am asian..err we are tiger moms . :flowerforyou: And weekends are physical days - games, long walks, trails and 'zumba'ing and (of course movies, tv and comp - at lesser degree).

I had stopped the ban on ice cream and pizza (his fav) which had caused him to eat those at school. So after a short discussion - he pledged to stop all sneaking on ice cream and pizza at school with condition -
    1. ice cream time with me once a week
    2. pizza everytime I complete a race
    I am so good to that. Totally agreeable to that.

Its going all right so far. But with kids need to be more dynamic to get them stay focused.

I can't undo the last 5 years of messing up my baby's life. But I hope with all the changes and examples that I am trying to set he is set for a great life ahead.
  • naivenitara
    Options
    Parents set the nutritional blueprint for their children's life. Yes, at some point they will be independent, but it's essential to teach them how good nutrition affects them and helps keep them healthy so they can take those lessons with them into adulthood. Breaks my heart to see parents who pander to their extremely overweight child just to pacify them. There's a reason why so many children are obese and inactive and I hope that will change some day.
  • splashangel
    splashangel Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Yea.
  • naivenitara
    Options
    I am a parent for my overweight 9 yo son. :ohwell: And just scrolled and seems everyone here is blaming the parents for the childrens overweight issues.:grumble: :cry:

The truth is ...it's true. I screwed up and along the way I screwed up my son's well being too. :brokenheart:

I had got him to start his own food and games journal. He writes down what he eats and the games he played and its duration.
    We had agreed to sit and look at it every end of the week and see how it goes - when, where and how the improvement can be made?

His punishment use to include no playing time in the park. But I had removed that from punishment category to necessity category. He needs the park...CRAZY MUCH to burn off whatever his consuming.

I had changed the weekdays are academic days as it literally means no comp and tv - only homework, tuitions etc with exception to play in the park which had been made a must. I am asian..err we are tiger moms . :flowerforyou: And weekends are physical days - games, long walks, trails and 'zumba'ing and (of course movies, tv and comp - at lesser degree).

I had stopped the ban on ice cream and pizza (his fav) which had caused him to eat those at school. So after a short discussion - he pledged to stop all sneaking on ice cream and pizza at school with condition -

Its going all right so far. But with kids need to be more dynamic to get them stay focused.

I can't undo the last 5 years of messing up my baby's life. But I hope with all the changes and examples that I am trying to set he is set for a great life ahead.

Good for you for taking positive steps towards your sons health. As parents, we all make mistakes, but it's good that you're doing all you can for your family. Thank you for sharing your insight and what you are doing! :)
  • Tashmayes
    Tashmayes Posts: 244 Member
    Options

Good for you for taking the steps to get him along the right path to health. I was an overweight child and my mom was a single mom...bought what was cheap (processed foods) and as a result, I was overweight. I wish she would have taken a stand like you are... Your son will thank you for it one day!
  • sophie_wr
    sophie_wr Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    THAT (hopefully I answer the good point).
    in my 20s, my father has been SOOOO mean with my weight, like he "offered" me once a scale as a Christmas gift, and it made me cry sooooo much :((((
    And now that I'm working on loosing it, now that everybody is super nice & helpful etc, he's still bull****ting about my weight....

so that's another parent's fault I would say....
  • sophie_wr
    sophie_wr Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I was going to write out about how I don't think my parents were to blame for me gaining weight, then I realised that I started to pudge out after they got divorced! Yeah they taught me proper nutrition, too bad they couldn't have taught me how to deal with feelings in ways other than eating!!!

But its hard. I know my mom struggled walking the fine line between encouraging me to eat better but not harming my self esteem. My mother and grandmother both struggle with their weight. My Grandma is in her 90s and STILL carries baggage about how her mother crippled her self esteem for being heavy (she got her figure from her dad's side, and passed it right along lol).

THAT (hopefully I answer the good point).
    in my 20s, my father has been SOOOO mean with my weight, like he "offered" me once a scale as a Christmas gift, and it made me cry sooooo much :((((
    And now that I'm working on loosing it, now that everybody is super nice & helpful etc, he's still bull****ting about my weight....

so that's another parent's fault I would say....
  • Goonygugu
    Goonygugu Posts: 114
    Options
    Yes parents are to blame if a child is fat!! They are the ones who influence what the kid eats. (unless there is a medical problem).

If children are taught good eating habits and food choices when they are young, they won't become overweight teenagers.

allowing a child an apple won't ruin their appetite - if is at least an hour before dinner.
  • kidcole11
    kidcole11 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Maybe the mom thought they were poisoned apples (Iike in snow white) and she didn't want anyone to know she knew so she told her daughter no to save her!
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I wonder...Do all of you live in houses where parents lock all the cabinets and the refrigerator?

I was a little bit heavy as a child because I'd want to snack between meals. I'd eat crackers or cereal or bread or cookies - anything I could get my hands on without getting caught. It wasn't my parents fault that I found a way to snack between meals.

This pattern of eating continued into adulthood for me, and I eventually weighed twice what I should be. No amount of shame or self loathing seemed to motivate me to change for any length of time. At mid-life, I finally discovered I have a sensitivity to sugar and empty carbs that results in eating compulsively. If I stay away from sugar, I don't feel compelled to eat when I'm not hungry.

I don't know many nutritionists that would advise parents to withhold all treats from their kids, but that's exactly what would have worked for me as a child. Sometimes a child will defy conventional wisdom. It's not always the parent's fault.
  • KXanthos
    KXanthos Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Let's not all jump on the "blame the parents" bandwagon. Yes, parents are to blame in SOME cases, perhaps many cases, but there is also a thing called GENETICS that can be a huge factor. Also, it doesn't help any that healthy foods are often more expensive than junk food. A $0.69 cheeseburger and $1.50 fries at McDonald's costs less than it would to prepare a chicken breast and fresh veggies, so we also have to look at the fact that healthy living is expensive and perhaps not something a big family can always afford. I'm not by any means trying to defend anyone, but I do seek to understand before I lay blame.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Apple 100% correct.... mother 100% wrong. Should be classed as child abuse in cases like that.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    Kids emulate what they see. Kids don't buy the food they eat at home. Parents are responsible for setting the example and using common sense when feeding their kids.

So kids see a parent eating junk all the time, they are likely to follow. Kids eat what's in the house. Parents who don't teach their kids about exercise, eating a balanced meal, and limiting high calorie low nutrition snacks set the wrong example.

Yes, it's the parents fault. Even worse IMO if they were a picked on overweight kid and then end up setting up their kid for the same abuse.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • dygitalgirl
    dygitalgirl Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I blame parents for unhealthy over weight kids. Obviously there may be some medical issues, understandable. However, it is still the parents JOB to make the wisest choices for their kids, medical conditions or not. If your child was allergic to peanuts you wouldn't go shoving peanut butter down their throat! Same with unhealthy eating habits. It would be a parents fault if a child always came to school in dirty clothes and unbathed, so why would it not be a parent fault if that child was unhealthy and heavy? Parents now days, not all, by a longs hot, but many, don't want to be the bad guy. They want to be buds with their kids, pals. IT's not how it works.

I blame my mom for some of my eating habits, not all of them, but some. Pure laziness is most of my cause but my mom was always there when I was down, bothered, or upset with my favorite cake, cookies, or meal and a tall glass of milk. If she could still cook by herself she would still be doing it. It was her way of showing me love, I understand that. But it's hard to say no to mom's home cooking.
  • SFBarbear
    SFBarbear Posts: 146
    Options
    100% Parents fault. When you make the choice to propagate you take the responsibility to supervise, care and nurture the result of that decision. There is no excuse in this day and age for the mistreatment and faulty care of a child.
    You are the adult.
    You need to take responsibility.
    You need to take control.
    You need to educate.
    You need to be an ADULT
    if you cant you should not complain or try to pass the responsibility on to others or society in general.
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I wonder...Do all of you live in houses where parents lock all the cabinets and the refrigerator?

I was a little bit heavy as a child because I'd want to snack between meals. I'd eat crackers or cereal or bread or cookies - anything I could get my hands on without getting caught. It wasn't my parents fault that I found a way to snack between meals.

This pattern of eating continued into adulthood for me, and I eventually weighed twice what I should be. No amount of shame or self loathing seemed to motivate me to change for any length of time. At mid-life, I finally discovered I have a sensitivity to sugar and empty carbs that results in eating compulsively. If I stay away from sugar, I don't feel compelled to eat when I'm not hungry.

I don't know many nutritionists that would advise parents to withhold all treats from their kids, but that's exactly what would have worked for me as a child. Sometimes a child will defy conventional wisdom. It's not always the parent's fault.

Great Point!!! I remember getting spoonfuls of sugar when my mother wasn't looking. Kids even at a young age can sneak snacks and junk. And school age children have a great deal of temptation because a dollar is all you need to buy junk food. My obsession with honey buns started in elementary school, getting them from the bodega (convenience store for non-new yorkers) on the way home from school.

And before we judge this mom that turned down the apple, we don't know what this child's eating habits are. Maybe she had good reason.
  • PatrissiaLu
    Options
    I don't blame my parents because I truly believe they were not educated on what "healthy eating" actually was when I was growing up. My parents both grew up in very poor homes, where their diets were limited to foods that were grown at home. Beans and tortillas made up their daily diet when they couldn't afford meats or dairy or it wasn't immediately available at home. So when I was growing up, they could afford any kind of food they wanted, and they felt like they didn't want their children to be deprived of "good" eating like they were when they were growing up. So we were allowed to have whatever we wanted, including burgers and pizza and junkfood. We mostly ate at home because my mom cooked daily, but even then when we ate homecooked meals, vegetables were not part of our dialy diet and we consumed large portions, and a lot of fried foods or foods high in fat. My parents thought "eating a lot" was equal to "eating well." They also had such physically demanding jobs where they were active all day long, so by the time they would come home, they were so exhausted that family physical activity was not part of our daily routine either. So no, I don't blame my parents. They've come a long way now and see things differently and I'm helping them understand my new lifestyle as well.
    So now that I know differently than my parents did back when I was growing up, I would be completely to blame if my child became obese due to unhealthy eating and lack of physical activity.
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    This is the dumbest thing I ever heard! How do you not know that the kid had an apple a little bit earlier??
    My son would eat apples ALL DAY if I let him. But what kind of a balanced diet would that be! I know how important protein is, so if she has her child avoid the apple, to make sure he has a big enough appetite to get his protein requirements, that is HER choice. My 9 year old son can't fit a lot of food in his stomach, he grazes all day long. An apple would fill him up for quite awhile before he could have room for a meal. Judgmental people sheesh.
  • sds76
    sds76 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    This is the dumbest thing I ever heard! How do you not know that the kid had an apple a little bit earlier??
    My son would eat apples ALL DAY if I let him. But what kind of a balanced diet would that be! I know how important protein is, so if she has her child avoid the apple, to make sure he has a big enough appetite to get his protein requirements, that is HER choice. My 9 year old son can't fit a lot of food in his stomach, he grazes all day long. An apple would fill him up for quite awhile before he could have room for a meal. Judgmental people sheesh.

my kids would also eat apples all day if I let them, but ya know what happens if they eat more than one apple(especially green ones), they get the ****s and a belly ache. I already posted my answer to the original question as to whether or not parents are at fault but I do agree that it is not our place to judge. Seldom does the person doing the judging know the whole story. A 5 min. peak into someone's life is not an ample amt of time to make accurate judgements.
  • LupaNera
    LupaNera Posts: 170
    Options
    My experience... A big YES.... My definitely got me here. Their daughter was the work and to keep me nice and quiet there was the food...