Some of the reasons why people don't lose

Options

Replies

• RNmomto4
    RNmomto4 Posts: 143
    Options
    Thanks! After reading this, I decided to adjust my weight loss to 1/2 pound per week as I only have 5 pounds to lose.
  • tryinghard71
    Options
    Gotta add excessive alcohol to this list too. While drinking within your calorie range is doable, it's rare that I hear, "I drank just enough to NOT get a buzz." Once enough alcohol is in the system, inhibition goes out the door and excess calories pile up.
    Some can handle it, but with most clients I've had that like to party and drink, they have a much harder time losing weight even when their eating is good.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

And this is my downfall :(

^^ Ugh, me too^^

Thanks for this post... it definitely helps!

:( Saddest post I have read all day. Man! I will say that I have a couple of beers every night if they fit into my calorie goal.
  • raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    Options

7. High expectations- thinking that just because you're on a 1000 calorie deficit a day, that a 2lbs loss is GUARANTEED. Weight loss isn't linear. Again, your body is much smarter than you think and will do what it needs to do to survive. Look to just losing 1% of your body weight a week and stay consistent. Not every week will be the same.

I'm really starting to learn this one!
  • DrJanet98
    DrJanet98 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    1. Inconsistency- Lack of being consistent on calorie intake, especially on the weekends. A couple of days of splurging (unless you're staying within your calorie deficit) WILL impede your progress.

2. Doing the same old same old- Continuing the same workout that you did 6 months to a year ago. The body adapts to routines. Unless you challenge it, it will adapt to workload. Try changing it up after a month, 8 weeks max

So you advocate inconsistency for workouts but same old same old for diet? Funny, the times I've dropped weight the best have been after making a change in diet. Sometimes that's a single-event splurge (usually a monthly meeting) for which I've saved up calories so that my *weekly* total is still within goal range), and sometimes it's when I've just not felt like eating more than a few hundred calories for a day and then went back to normal the next day. I think my body needs that change of pace to jolt me out of plateaus.

Either way, I love the iPad app that can show me a weekly average, because it lets me see whether I need to rein it in for a few days, or whether I can afford to treat myself. I'm aiming for about a pound and a half a week, and I don't *want* to lose faster than that, because I think it's more likely to *stay* off it it's lost gradually.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    1. Inconsistency- Lack of being consistent on calorie intake, especially on the weekends. A couple of days of splurging (unless you're staying within your calorie deficit) WILL impede your progress.

2. Doing the same old same old- Continuing the same workout that you did 6 months to a year ago. The body adapts to routines. Unless you challenge it, it will adapt to workload. Try changing it up after a month, 8 weeks max

So you advocate inconsistency for workouts but same old same old for diet? Funny, the times I've dropped weight the best have been after making a change in diet. Sometimes that's a single-event splurge (usually a monthly meeting) for which I've saved up calories so that my *weekly* total is still within goal range), and sometimes it's when I've just not felt like eating more than a few hundred calories for a day and then went back to normal the next day. I think my body needs that change of pace to jolt me out of plateaus.

Either way, I love the iPad app that can show me a weekly average, because it lets me see whether I need to rein it in for a few days, or whether I can afford to treat myself. I'm aiming for about a pound and a half a week, and I don't *want* to lose faster than that, because I think it's more likely to *stay* off it it's lost gradually.
    A once in awhile splurge may/may not affect you, but if someone splurges every weekend (which was my initial point) that will impede progress. If you're total calories in a week aren't in deficit, please explain how weight loss would happen?

And I don't advocate inconsistency for workouts...........I stated that you need to change the routine due to the body adapting to the workout. That's NOT the same as inconsistency for workouts. Inconsistency for workouts would mean that there is no consistency of working out.

Nice try though.

IDEA Fitness member
  • NocturnalGirl
    NocturnalGirl Posts: 1,762
    Options
    With multiple threads on people questioning why they can't lose weight, just thought I'd give some quick info. So here goes:

2. Doing the same old same old- Continuing the same workout that you did 6 months to a year ago. The body adapts to routines. Unless you challenge it, it will adapt to workload. Try changing it up after a month, 8 weeks max.

3. You don't have much to lose- You can't lose if there isn't much to lose. And if you're shooting for a pound a week with just 5lbs- 10lbs to lose, then it probably won't happen. You're much better off going for 1/4 to a 1/2 pound loss a week. Adjust your deficit for that.

4. Not eating enough- Trust me when I say your body isn't stupid. It's sole purpose is to do what it need to to survive. Part of that is conserving enough energy for regular function. If you don't supply enough calories, it will lower metabolic rate. Don't just think eating the minimum is the ONLY way to lose.

5. Lack of rest/sleep- A killer. Body and mind need time to recover. Less than 5 hours a night is more than likely impeding your progress.

6. New to training- Anyone new to exercise will more than likely gain a few pounds in the beginning due to water and glycogen retention. It's natural and common.

7. High expectations- thinking that just because you're on a 1000 calorie deficit a day, that a 2lbs loss is GUARANTEED. Weight loss isn't linear. Again, your body is much smarter than you think and will do what it needs to do to survive. Look to just losing 1% of your body weight a week and stay consistent. Not every week will be the same.

These are just some of the issues. I'm sure there are more, but these are just the common answers for most.

IDEA Fitness member

I don't get much sleep (you can tell by my name :P), how much can it affect it though? I want to lose 4lbs per week, is that possible at all?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    With multiple threads on people questioning why they can't lose weight, just thought I'd give some quick info. So here goes:

2. Doing the same old same old- Continuing the same workout that you did 6 months to a year ago. The body adapts to routines. Unless you challenge it, it will adapt to workload. Try changing it up after a month, 8 weeks max.

3. You don't have much to lose- You can't lose if there isn't much to lose. And if you're shooting for a pound a week with just 5lbs- 10lbs to lose, then it probably won't happen. You're much better off going for 1/4 to a 1/2 pound loss a week. Adjust your deficit for that.

4. Not eating enough- Trust me when I say your body isn't stupid. It's sole purpose is to do what it need to to survive. Part of that is conserving enough energy for regular function. If you don't supply enough calories, it will lower metabolic rate. Don't just think eating the minimum is the ONLY way to lose.

5. Lack of rest/sleep- A killer. Body and mind need time to recover. Less than 5 hours a night is more than likely impeding your progress.

6. New to training- Anyone new to exercise will more than likely gain a few pounds in the beginning due to water and glycogen retention. It's natural and common.

These are just some of the issues. I'm sure there are more, but these are just the common answers for most.

IDEA Fitness member

I don't get much sleep (you can tell by my name :P), how much can it affect it though? I want to lose 4lbs per week, is that possible at all?
    I would have a tough time losing 4lbs a week. Your goal is unrealistic. 1% of your body weight is reasonable.

Lack of sleep keeps cortisol high and reduces your GH (which is most abundant in deep sleep and is a hormone responsible for fat burning). You should get a assessment on your sleep patterns by a clinic.

IDEA Fitness member
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this
  • NocturnalGirl
    NocturnalGirl Posts: 1,762
    Options
    I would have a tough time losing 4lbs a week. Your goal is unrealistic. 1% of your body weight is reasonable.

Lack of sleep keeps cortisol high and reduces your GH (which is most abundant in deep sleep and is a hormone responsible for fat burning). You should get an assessment on your sleep patterns by a clinic.

IDEA Fitness member

Hmm okay, thanks. I'll look into my sleeping patterns more, I tend to stay up all night. Didn't think it will affect it too much.

And how about 2% of my body weight?
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Lack of sleep keeps cortisol high and reduces your GH (which is most abundant in deep sleep and is a hormone responsible for fat burning). You should get an assessment on your sleep patterns by a clinic.

IDEA Fitness member

Hmm okay, thanks. I'll look into my sleeping patterns more, I tend to stay up all night. Didn't think it will affect it too much.

And how about 2% of my body weight?
    Honestly with your sleeping patterns, 1% might even be tough.

IDEA Fitness member
  • WillUAre
    WillUAre Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I wanted to read weekly calorie goal on iPad. Can you show me how?

I am able to view weekly goal on iPhone though.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I wanted to read weekly calorie goal on iPad. Can you show me how?

I am able to view weekly goal on iPhone though.
    Don't own an iPad nor an iPhone so I have no idea. In fact I personally refuse to have any smart phone at all. I have a basic flip phone just for texts and answering calls.

IDEA Fitness member
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    1. they dont wanna
    2. Its more fun to hate the people that already have
    3. they are scared of how much work it will be
    4. they may not be super happy, but they are super comfortable.
    5. dont you science me!
    6. leaning on religion will do the trick.
    7. you dont have to exercise, you can just superdiet
    8. being in a rut is familiar
    9. they dont think they deserve to do it
    10. they are on a legitimate plateau and havent leveled up yet.

• wavdawg4
    wavdawg4 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this :)
  • chippy83
    chippy83 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Just read this article today about finding ways to cope other than food... Sometimes we all need the reminder! :)

http://zenhabits.net/foodaholic/
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    I think this is my problem. I had no idea lack of sleep would do this. I currently get around 5 hours of sleep a day, but don't think it's enough for me. What if it is IMPOSSIBLE for me to get more sleep due to my work schedule, etc.? Is there anything I can do to help myself relax without sleeping? Or is it a lost cause?
  • Nic620
    Nic620 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Good info!
  • invictus8
    invictus8 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Biggest reason:

calories from food > basal metabolic rate
  • Goonygugu
    Goonygugu Posts: 114
    Options
    Awesome post! Thanks for sharing
  • roguestates
    Options

This point should be clarified a bit. I think people will get the impression that you should scrap your routine every 8 weeks and start over, when all that is needed is an increase in intensity and/or frequency.
    Point is correct. Should have emphasized that just loading up on more resistance, decreasing rest time and increasing reps can be a valid change in exercise.

IDEA Fitness member

All great things to keep in mind, thanks!!