How Long After You Wake Is Your First Meal Breakfast?

Options
I know that breakfast is important, but I love to lounge in the morning and enjoy my coffee(s) and cigarettes (sorry). I’m up between 6-7 a.m. but usually don’t have my first meal until 10:30 – 11:30 a.m. Ya think I can consider that breakfast....or am I just kidding myself?

Replies

• uwdawg07
    uwdawg07 Posts: 372
    Options
    I eat as soon as I wake up - I'm always starving! The longest I can make it is an hour. I think I read you should eat within an hour of waking...but I can't remember where I read that. Sorry!
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I'm up at 7am every morning and have my first meal at 12pm.

You can call if breakfast if you like....you are breaking the fast.
  • ellenxmariex3
    ellenxmariex3 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    As long as it's my first meal of the day, I call it breakfast.

Personally, I eat breakfast within 30 minutes of waking up on weekdays. That timing works for my schedule and I'm always starving when I wake up anyway.

On weekends, it varies. I sometimes don't eat until what people normally consider lunch time. Mainly because I'm too lazy to get out of bed....
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner, and I have to run fasted.. on run days, I get up at 5 am to get the kids off to school and run from 8-9. I'm not actually eating breakfast until 9:30 or so.. almost five hours after I got up. Time is arbitrary.. I'm a midnight shift worker too, so sometimes my first meal (logged as breakfast) is at midnight.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Within the first 20 minutes of waking, I grab two cups of water and a cup of coffee. I cant eat food otherwise Im just going to vomit it back up... my body does not like eating food after waking up.

I usually will have a protein-shake after working out because I workout at 4:45am and dont finish until 6:00am. Within 2-3 hours Ill have an actual food item to eat because at that point, Im fully awake and capable of eating solid foods.
  • AGreen54
    AGreen54 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I eat as soon as I wake up - I'm always starving! The longest I can make it is an hour. I think I read you should eat within an hour of waking...but I can't remember where I read that. Sorry!

I do the exact same thing
  • eduardoschoen
    Options
    Right after I pee and wash my hands. :)
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Upon waking, I have a tall glass of water, followed by breakfast & another tall glass + a green or black tea, sometimes a coffee. All within the first hour of waking up. I've read over and over that this is best for the metabolism + fat loss, & I've lost 50lbs doing this, now on the last 10!
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I do not eat until I am hungry. Sometimes that's 7am, sometimes it's closer to noon. The only time I will consume calories even when I'm not hungry is for a protein shake after my morning workout.
  • aholly70
    aholly70 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I eat between 10:30 and 12:00 i never was a breakfast person even when i was young,i might on weekends when i make a huge breakfast but that's not till 10:00 or so.
  • mrsmerrithew
    mrsmerrithew Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm up at 7am every morning and have my first meal at 12pm.

You can call if breakfast if you like....you are breaking the fast.

What she said.

As long as you aren't skipping breakfast to eliminate calories, then I don't think it matters. A days worth of calories is a days worth, whether you start your first meal at 7 am or 11am or 1 pm.
  • mcpjan
    mcpjan Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I get up before 5 AM everyday, but I don't eat for at least an hour as I take medication that I can't eat for an hour. So I workout during that time with my water. Then most days I eat between 6 AM and 7 AM.
  • fatboy235
    fatboy235 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I get up at 0515 and eat around 0700.
  • Rain36
    Rain36 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm up at 6:30 but don't have breakfast until I get to work, usually eat around 9.30. I wish I could eat earlier but time just doesn't allow.
  • tnjackso1
    tnjackso1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    within 30min of getting up...I'm always so hungry when I wake up, but I only have a protein shake then because I'm off to the gym for some insane workout...
  • NINtoTheVoid
    Options
    Honestly, I'm lucky if I get breakfast because I'm lazy (I'll admit it) and wake up only 30 minutes before I need to be into work :P

I'll take my daily cup of coffee to go and if I have time, I'll have a bowl of cereal.

I usually do make some decent breakfast meals on the weekends though.
  • Cnborro
    Cnborro Posts: 7
    Options
    I eat at 6:30. Half hour after i wake, get kids up, clean kitchen and make coffee. Then the kids and i eat breakfast together
  • kit8806
    kit8806 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I'm usually up around 530-600am. I get ready for work and if I have time, I'll eat before I wake up my daughter (she gets breakfast at school), otherwise I eat when I get to work, but I almost always eat before 8am. I read somewhere, can't remember where, that you should eat within the first 2 hours of waking up or your body can go into "starvation" mode and will store everything it can because it thinks you won't feed it.. I know I feel so much better eating within those first 2 hours, otherwise I get very nauseous! But hey, eating right when you wake up isn't for everyone! I used to just not eat breakfast at all because I felt sick at the thought of food that early!
  • JimFuhrman
    Options
    I try to get in 30gms of protein in the first 30 min after waking, Usually a protein shake or muscle milk.
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Up at 4:15, drive, working out by 5:15, eat anywhere from 6:30 to 7:00.