Replies

• domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I've had one for years. I love it :)
  • hedalpedal
    hedalpedal Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I bought one a few weeks ago. I found I was way off in estimating. It wasn't even that I was always underestimating, I would overestimate as well! It's nice when you think you have the right amount of cheese or meat or whatever, and then you weigh it and realize you can have some more!
  • caitlindrew422
    caitlindrew422 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I am thinking I need to get one- I think that eyeing my food and guessing can be hurting my weight loss journey. I am really good at eyeing things I think but I mean maybe 4 oz of meat is more than I think or less than I think. Maybe a few extra cals. here and there b/c I don't really know my amounts, is really adding up! What's a good one?
  • SpazzyMal
    SpazzyMal Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I use mine for certain things, but don't bother when I'm just making veggies or fruits, because... the difference in calories tends to be nominal at best for those things, when the measurements are only off by a little bit anyway. Most other stuff goes on the scale though.
  • gigglebunny1
    Options
    I purchased one at the beginning of the year. It zeros out, has a large database of foods, and has a cool nutrition label look that when it weighs food, fills in all of the categories. I haven't been using it, but that will be changing after reading this thread.
  • Andh_19
    Andh_19 Posts: 14
    Options
    Yup, I use it for everything. No more guessing or eyeballing amounts.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I do, to an extent... but after so long, I've learned to gauge rough amounts if I'm in a hurry. Especially with utensils. One spoonful of rice, a ladle of soup, etc.
  • HarpingOn
    HarpingOn Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    We homeschool our boys. We taught them the metric system first. They usually speak/think metric. Which I have trouble understanding still.

A wise choice. I believe that even in the US the engineering/architectural/scientific communities exclusively use metric so it could be advantageous.

One question for the Americans here on imperial that I've never got; I've noticed when searching through the food DB on MFP that whilst things have measurements in grams or ounces depending on who put in the entry, there are measures of rice, pasta and vegetables in 'cups'. What exactly is a cup? As it sounds like a literal "cup", ie a measure of volume, but you can't possibly hope to accurately measure a solid food using a volume measurement. Have I misunderstood it completely or are actual cups used as a not-particularly-good way of measuring foodstuffs?

I have cups for doing us recipes. I loose fill solids, then flat top it. That's a cup. Then I tip it in a bowl and weigh the darn thing in gm.