Strength Training (Not Cardio) is the Real Fat Burner?

Options

Replies

• Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I've been testing this theory for last 9 months: I've lost precious little fat weight training and dieting.. Cardio burns fat
    Let me take a guess; a pair of pink (or cherry red) dumbbells no heavier than a small laptop?

As a matter of fact, NO moron ! I've seen your dismissvive replies in other forums and wonder, if your such an iron man, why don't you have more positive, concrete advice in place of snarky usless crap?

uh oh, someone got their feelings hurt by a complete stranger over the internet!

So you think you hurt her feelings? I doubt it from the tone of her post. It is called constructive criticism. Get a clue. :wink:

white knight
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I've been testing this theory for last 9 months: I've lost precious little fat weight training and dieting.. Cardio burns fat
    Let me take a guess; a pair of pink (or cherry red) dumbbells no heavier than a small laptop?

As a matter of fact, NO moron ! I've seen your dismissvive replies in other forums and wonder, if your such an iron man, why don't you have more positive, concrete advice in place of snarky usless crap?

uh oh, someone got their feelings hurt by a complete stranger over the internet!

So you think you hurt her feelings? I doubt it from the tone of her post. It is called constructive criticism. Get a clue. :wink:

white knight

Brown coffee
  • cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    Diet is the real fat burner...

^^^^^^
    Yes, I must agree.

EDIT: definitely strength training is helpful and healthy. i would give it equal or better attention than cardio.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I think I burned some fat just reading this thread

I think I lost some brain cells reading this thread. Or maybe just reading past the 1st page.

And in the words of the Hodge Twins....'what you think you're burning?! Bone cells?!'

I'm surprised you have enough brain cells left to type after watching Hodge Twins
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I think I burned some fat just reading this thread

I think I lost some brain cells reading this thread. Or maybe just reading past the 1st page.

And in the words of the Hodge Twins....'what you think you're burning?! Bone cells?!'

I'm surprised you have enough brain cells left to type after watching Hodge Twins

Yeah I'd agree, Hodge twins have their PHD in broscience... Sure some of their stuff is spot on but these guys are just two gym rats posting what ever they like on YouTube.
  • MonkRocker
    MonkRocker Posts: 198
    Options
    This thread is (mostly) hilarious.

However - this needs to be said for a few of you:

LOSE is the opposite of GAIN - which is what you do with weight - you lose it or gain it.

LOOSE is the opposite of TIGHT - you can't really "tight" weight, now can you? Ergo - you cannot "loose" it.

Sorry. But that's really rustling my jimmies.

RustledJimmies.png]
  • Crazyjoe11
    Options
    Thanks for all your advice and personal experiences - will take it all on board.

This post seems to sum it up

Success to weight loss in order of importance:

1) Diet
    2) Strength Training
    3) Cardio
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options

1) Diet
    2) Strength Training
    3) Cardio
    Yes, this is the ideal hierarchy. Most people have greater success at fat loss over the long-term while maintaining a moderate deficit and letting calorie restriction from food do most of the work. Example: Person creates a 500 calorie deficit, of which, 300 is due to eating less and another 200 from total exercise (Strength Training and cardio). Emphasizing higher volume due to heavier resistance in addition to a diet high in protein will allow one to maintain lean body mass resulting in a favorable P-ratio (amount of muscle lost while dieting vs muscle gained during weight recovery). This is one of several key variables in reducing fat gains once you enter and sustain maintenance.
  • bfitnbfab
    Options
    bump
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

Exactly.

Lift weights or do cardio till your hearts content, but if you eat more then you burn, you will still get fat.

Thanks for playing anyway...:laugh:

missingthepoint.png

Uh no.

Why do you think when people bulk, they gain fat?

Because they eat in a surplus(IE more then they need).

Same goes for cardio... if you eat more then you expend, you will gain weight and fat.

Not sure why this is so funny to you.. but carry on.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Crazyjoe11
    Options
    Both are equally important. Too many focus on just cardio.

Eating less is what makes you lose fat. You can't burn off eating too much with exercise. Most people don't realize they eat more than they need and it builds up over the years. We live with an over abundance of food and lack of exercise and everyone looking for the magic pill.

Strength training is important for keeping your lean body mass and especially for women keeping you from getting osteoporosis.

Girls are afraid of gaining muscle. We don't have the hormones to get big so do not worry, you won't get big if you don't do steriods. I am a perfect example. I lift heavy but I am still feminine, and my 51.5 year old bones are that of a super atletic 30 year old according to the DXA bone density test. No worry about osteoporosis in my future.

Nicely said - thanks.
  • MikeJackson67
    Options
    Why choose one? For myself, I found a combination of weight/strength training, healthy diet and Les Mills classes helped me lose 18lbs and 10% body fat in approximately 90 days. That was between Jan 1 and Mar 31st. I have continued to drop weight and a couple more body fat % points while simultaneously, significantly, increasing the weight I am lifting. I am in better shape now than I was 20 years ago, benching over 300lbs at almost age 45. If I can do it, so you can you!!!

Also, my strength training is cardio for me - go hard or go home! Be conscious of what you eat - eat 5x p/day - healthy meals! And vary your workouts to keep them interesting and fun!
  • AllisonS79
    AllisonS79 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm a strong believer in the weight training. Not just for weight loss but to have an overall more solid physique. Even women should be strength training. Don't worry about bulking up. You won't unless you're really trying. What it will do is give you a more athletic look. That said, any exercise is good exercise. I don't care if it's just walking. If you're burning calories you weren't previously burning, then you'll do just fine as long as you keep within your caloric goal.

SO true for me too! I am approaching day 90 of Chalean Extreme, which involves lifting heavy weights to acheive muscle failure. I've tried cardio before, many types, many kinds, but never saw results like this. In 3 months I've only lost 8.5 lbs on the scale, but my arms, legs and butt are smaller and tighter. I'm fitting into clothes so much better. My over-all shape is better due to the weights, compared to if I had just lost "weight."
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Exactly.

Lift weights or do cardio till your hearts content, but if you eat more then you burn, you will still get fat.

Thanks for playing anyway...:laugh:

missingthepoint.png

Uh no.

Why do you think when people bulk, they gain fat?

Because they eat in a surplus(IE more then they need).

Same goes for cardio... if you eat more then you expend, you will gain weight and fat.

Not sure why this is so funny to you.. but carry on.

You didn't even read the article. :laugh:

The article stated that strength training should be incorporated for maximum benefit and can benefit you in ways that cardio can't.

ETA: I have seen you post over and over about the benefits of strength training. I would have thought that you would have plus-one'd the article, if you had actually read it. It didn't dispute the importance of diet, which is why mentioning diet as a comment on the article is hilarious. It shows you didn't read it at all.

Here's the article again, which is what the OP was referring to, hence the thread, before it got hijacked with a discussion of diet.
    http://www.coachcalorie.com/strength-training-for-weight-loss/
  • SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Options

Bingo. 85-95% of your loss comes from eating right and in the right portion. I spent a decade eating right and being a gym rat, just ate amounts without restriction. Started calorie counting, lost 10lb+ each of the first four months.
  • Sthrncupcake
    Sthrncupcake Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    This is my story ( literally...and i am stickin to it!) http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/712335-ruined-my-body-lifting-heavy-sadly-with-pics I love to run as well...but I run to run now...not for the workout so much!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Bingo. 85-95% of your loss comes from eating right and in the right portion. I spent a decade eating right and being a gym rat, just ate amounts without restriction. Started calorie counting, lost 10lb+ each of the first four months.

So what does this comment have to do with strength training VS. cardio? Another person who didn't read the article. smh
  • bolera26
    Options

Exactly.

Living proof of that!!!! :wink:
  • Ladyiianae
    Ladyiianae Posts: 271 Member
    Options

1) Diet
    2) Strength Training
    3) Cardio

^^^^like!!

Like!

however, I must admit that mine looks like this:

1) Cardio
    2) Diet
    3) the intentions of strength training (...I really need to work on the follow through)

Getting better though!