The no BS MFP EDUCATION thread

Options

Replies

• katierechgomez
    Options
    I am still a tiny bit confused on TDEE and BMR but now I understand much more...I just don't understand how that site http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/ could say I need to eat about 1,642 calories based on my info...I am currently allowing myselg only 1300 calories (although I have been going over to closer to 1400 cals). Does anyone know if it is actually better to eat a bit more? I am having no progress at all and have switched up the calories and exercise. It has been the whole month of August and I haven't made the scale budge (or felt a difference in my pants/clothes)...
  • CaWaterBug8
    CaWaterBug8 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I am still a tiny bit confused on TDEE and BMR but now I understand much more...I just don't understand how that site http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/ could say I need to eat about 1,642 calories based on my info...I am currently allowing myselg only 1300 calories (although I have been going over to closer to 1400 cals). Does anyone know if it is actually better to eat a bit more? I am having no progress at all and have switched up the calories and exercise. It has been the whole month of August and I haven't made the scale budge (or felt a difference in my pants/clothes)...

Are you also eating back your exercise calories at all? Sometimes to lose weight, you have to eat more. It's a crazy concept, but it works! :bigsmile:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Your take on Intermittent Fasting?

If this is too broad just define the basics for everyone and leave it at that.
    There are a few that do it here and are getting good results. I do it on a small scale, about a 13 hour fast before eating.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
  • knwitall
    knwitall Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Bump.... To keep tabs on this thread for some info....

Thank you OP for en lighting us and helping us better understand! :flowerforyou:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Large deficits can cause hormonal imbalances that can in turn lead to more water retention, among other things. IMO - eat to what the calculations say you should eat to.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    bump

Always room for more knowledge in this chick's brain!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    How much of difference can one see eating free range vs grain fed?
    It's usually going to be in the fat content. Grain fed animals are usually more fatty, then grass fed animals. As far as nutrition, I haven't read any peer reviewed scientific study stating one is better over the other.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    bump. Love this information.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Is it true you should mix up your protein sources because your body can get too used to digesting X protein over Y.
    Since all proteins are just amino acids chained a specific way together, there are protein sources that lack certain amino acids compared to others.
    IMO, you should find protein sources that ensure you get in the essential proteins (proteins that can't be created by the body) and as many others in as possible.
    Personally I haven't found anything to support that you need to mix up your protein sources because of the body getting used to them. All proteins are broken down to amino acids and absorbed the same way.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Large deficits can cause hormonal imbalances that can in turn lead to more water retention, among other things. IMO - eat to what the calculations say you should eat to.
    One of the body's first reactions to consistent large calorie deficit is a lowered metabolic rate. This is why many who under eat have issues with slow/creeping weight loss.

IDEA Fitness member
  • chattipatty2
    chattipatty2 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    BUMP: word to reply in to stay updated on a thread. So Imma gonna bump the s*** outta this one!!!
  • chattipatty2
    chattipatty2 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    meant to reply, not quote. LOL....

BUMP: word to reply in to stay updated on a thread. So Imma gonna bump the s*** outta this one!!!
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Bumping because Joe is awesome :)
  • ediths6
    ediths6 Posts: 72
    Options
    I am spectical of advise that comes from someone who studied where they also teach kinesiology.... kinesiology lol
    Dont see many repuatable health institutions teaching new age medicine...
    Which is just called medicine when it can be proven to work btw.
  • drinkdeathhatred
    drinkdeathhatred Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cblevitron
    cblevitron Posts: 243
    Options
    What's the deal with high fructose corn syrup?
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    BUMP for later.
  • R_Calvillo
    R_Calvillo Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Hmm...
  • rlt2005
    rlt2005 Posts: 15
    Options
    Bump