I'm having a hard time with "Never again"

Options

Replies

• nataliexxxx
    Options
    You can still have it again just as a treat not as option or smaller portions
  • ovege
    ovege Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    When I was first starting, I asked myself every time I wanted to eat if the food I was about to eat would help me reach my goals. I didn't say "never again" I just said "not today" and as the weight came off, the choices got easier. Things will start to taste different too. I prefer a homemade treat over store bought ones because I know what went into the homemade one.
  • derpina88
    derpina88 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My solution to some foods is what I call "dinner helper." If I want mac n cheese, I invite a friend over to help me eat dinner. That way, I can cook a whole box of my favorite (Annie's Deluxe Shells N Cheese!!!), but then I measure out and eat only one serving. My dinner helper eats the rest! Usually with a nice salad on the side and maybe a veggie burger. Sure, it's still a bit decadent, but it's not terrible. If somebody told me I could never have mac n cheese again, I think I would punch that person.

I laughed so hard at this i spit up the tea I was drinking. Love it.
  • MamaKeeks
    MamaKeeks Posts: 234
    Options
    I am a recovering alcoholic coming upon 5 years sober. When I first got sober this whole " I can never drink again" thing blew my mind and freaked me out. They kept telling me "one day at a time, thats all you have to do, is not drink today" I hated hearing that until I started believing it.

Now, I can honestly say that drinking is not something that even crosses my mind now. The thought of drinking makes me kinda sick. I know, for a fact, there is no such thing as one drink, no way, no how, so I totally get where you are coming from.

We have to grieve our lovers when we lose them. Whether it is food, alcohol or drugs and so on. We mourn the loss and we accept it and move on. For me it was vodka, for you it is cake. Acceptance is the key.

All you have to do is tell yourself, I WILL NOT BINGE TODAY and then let tomorrow take care of itself. If you believe in any type of God at all, saying a prayer to ask the God of your understanding to help you is always a good thing.

Good luck and YOU CAN DO THIS! Trust me, if Little Miss Martini can get sober, you can eat healthy. I actually got my life together and did both. LIFE IS GOOD.

THIS!!!^^^^^ AWESOME POST!!!!
  • danabromley
    danabromley Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I agree with what allot of others are saying, but I'll put in my 2 cents. You can't deprive yourself of what you love. You will fail that .way, you just can't eat the whole carten of ice cream lol. It's hard I know but you can do it you're a strong capable woman and we're all here for you. Instead of binging talk to us message us we'll be happy to talk to you till the craving passess and it will. Best of luck on you journey. Add me if you like, as soon as I see your post or message I'll get back to you.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    See..that is what I like about mfp. It teaches you that you can have mac 'n cheese..just log it and exercise it off..or eat salad and grileld shrimp the rest of the day. I teaches you how to balance things out and live your life.

You just have to tell yourslef.."I can have that" you just can't pig out on it... you can manage that..anyone can. but no one can manage "never again."
  • Krisstah
    Krisstah Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Its hard.. people go into new diet lifestyles convinced that it must be the pizza, cake or mac and cheese thats making them over weight, and if they just stop eating what they enjoy and be miserable, they will lose weight. I have my cheat day set aside once a week, sometimes its friday or sometimes its saturday, sometimes i will go the whole week and not cheat at all but that in the end is my own choice, and you get to choose what makes you happy.

For me, 100 calorie snack packs of chocolate everything are keeping me sane through the transition of diet changes, and yeah, im struggling with my brain to stick to the 1530 calories MFP has put me on to lose 2lbs a week. 99% of the time i am under my calorie goal. But that doesn't mean i have given up anything. I still have ice cream, i still have cookies, i still have chinese food, Donairs, pizza, pasta, but i make sure that when it comes to eating these things, my portion sizes are controlled, i preplan to, sometimes preplanning helps...

If i knew that we were ordering pizza tonight, when i woke up, and i knew id want more pizza, then its up to me to decide what my breakfast and lunch should be, maybe breakfast is a 120 calorie meal replacement today instead of oatmeal or toast and egg or something i eat other days.. and maybe lunch is a big healthy salad with a very low calorie salad dressing, then i know i can have a couple slices of pizza and its not going to really make a big dent into my calorie deficit and im still gonna lose weight by the end of the week when i do my weigh in.
  • jazee11
    jazee11 Posts: 321
    Options
    What if you plan a piece of chocolate whatever into your daily menu? What if you plan mac and cheese into your daily or every other day menu?

It's not all or nothing...:smile:
  • AmyJMadison
    AmyJMadison Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Just yesterday I had a big ole slab of chocolate pie... it was wonderful... but I knew I was going to have to eat a catered lunch at work so I had a lite meal bar for breakfast and some peaches... and a reasonable dinner. Stayed "near" my goal and I don't feel bad at all now about indulging. Did it and posted about it the other day with peanuts too and ya know I am smiling, eating thinking posative and still on track!!!
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I never tell myself that! Nothing is off limits. I may not choose to eat something today, but I might well do so tomorrow , and there's nothing I cant enjoy in reasonable and planned amounts. Telling yourself "never" is just setting yourself up yo fail.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    No way I'm giving up mac & cheese and chocolate, lol. I just work it into my daily plan. Today I bought 2 bags of Hershey's Miniatures and Kraft Shells & Cheese cups. In addition to calories I have to watch my carbs and I find that with planning there is nothing I can't work into my daily meals. Of course you can't go whole hog and pig out but I'm very happy with having a small portion
  • LiftYoung99
    Options
    i have been eating ice cream almost daily, lol. look at nutrients instead of the actual food, there is no unhealthy or "dirty" foods. look up Flexible Dieting
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Um........I have never said never again to anything........you can have whatever foods you want if you fit it in to your day, or if it's something really bad maybe save it for a special occasion.

The secret to success to finding a way to fit it all into your lifestyle, not thinking of this a diet that has rules that cannot be broken forever and ever and ever.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    You have a heart attack like I did. Then you decide to live or die.
  • jus_in_bello
    jus_in_bello Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    How do you all deal with the thought of never having it again? I know I could have a little in theory, but I never in my life have had a little. I don't even know what that means. They say the cravings will go away but I still have them. Help me build good habits!

I don't say, "never again" except to foods I'm allergic to. Don't say never again. Also, check out food blogs for alternative ways of making mac'n'cheese and chocolate cake, there are healthy options.
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I am glad you posted this. You can see that "never again" is not the correct philosophy. You need to portion the foods you love correctly and enjoy them as part of your diet. You can even have mac and cheese three times a day if you want, until you get sick of it. Budget your calories and plan a bit of chocolate cake every day until it loses its appeal. You have to find out how many calories in it and count them. That is the beauty of this diet. You give up nothing except being unhealthy. If you go over, all the more reason to exercise. Feed the cravings. A craving is just an inspiration for your next meal.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I agree with a lot of people here. In moderation you can have it. Telling yourself never is going to come back to get you, especially once you hit goal. Just do it moderation, heck i used to get bowl fulls of ice cream, and now, i have only a 1/2 to maybe a 1 cup (and yes i measure it, i actually eat it out of the measuring cup) a day, because i know that i will never be able to go without, nor would want to.
  • freckledrats
    freckledrats Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I found that after a month of being really good or so that eating a huge portion like that makes me feel physically bad. That helps. I don't recommend treating yourself to a huge portion of a cake within the first month or two of a new diet change because that will encourage you to go back to your old habits, mask weight loss by throwing off your sodium/digested food weight balance, and you'll feel guilty.

Don't say never again. Say "I can have one big piece of cake in two months." Give it a date if you need to. That way every time you are tempted, just say "Only 50 days to go. Only 30 days to go. Only 2 days to go." Meanwhile, tiny treats once or twice a week will help you get by.

After you've done well for two months and your cake day has arrived ~(:)-{ play a game with yourself. Say, yay, it's my cake day! I will have cake! And then see if you can put it off. If you think you can wait a whole day, wait a whole day. If not, try postponing it til night, at least. Then have your big fat piece of cake. You'll be surprised after two months of eating well how different it will taste. You won't have been saturating your taste buds in rich foods for a long time, so it will taste richer and sweeter and might even be not what you wanted after all. If you finish the whole big piece, you will find yourself full and tired and a little sick, because you aren't used to eating so much in one sitting anymore. Your stomach will whine.

All that said, that's a great way to deal with those cravings. Don't "never again" yourself. Slap a date on it, make self-promises, and earn that shiz! Maybe one day you'll find you don't even need to do that anymore and you'll be satisfied with your smaller weekly treats :)
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    It depends. For some people there is no never again. For others they have to sever all ties with a certain food and treat it like an addiction - the way you would treat stopping drugs/alcohol if it became a problem.

If you can have it, learn moderation.

If you can't, learn the mindset that going without is just better for you in the long run. It sucks, but it needs to be done.

^^Truth. If you have a peanut allergy, there are worse things than saying 'Never again' to peanuts. If you have celiaic disease, you do not 'miss' gluten. If one or two foods are keeping you from your goals, it is okay to eliminate them; at least until you are over them! For the majority, moderation works - many, many people can have just one drink every now and then and not want more - but obviously not ALL people can use this approach. I have had to say never again to certain foods and don't miss them at all because I DO eat lots of food I love.
  • quiltingducky
    quiltingducky Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I can't believe there is no such thing as "never again" unless it is life threatening. Maybe for some it is never again ever and for some it is never again until I reach a goal or THE goal. My downfall is ice cream, but when I decide to have it again (not when it decides I need to eat it) I'll make a leaner choice.