Eating bread

Options

Replies

• geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    There is a difference between the people who are on this site and only care about losing weight, versus the people who choose a healthy, nutritional lifestyle. Most store bought bread is absolute junk. And I don't eat junk.
    There is a difference between the people who base their eating on solid science and those that use hype and hippy-propoganda as the basis for their choices ;).

Far too often I hear processed being the root of all evil, yet very rarely do I see anything to back that up.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I still eat bread, but I have been trying to make sure it is (real) whole wheat and whole grain. I am even starting to work on baking my own. I did a loaf of whole wheat this week and it turned out great. The flour was ground locally and within a few days of me making the bread. I was very excited!
  • Jester522
    Jester522 Posts: 392
    Options
    I heard cutting down on bread is a major part in helping you lose weight. Well, either cutting down or eating VERY little. Could this be a possibility? Or does it just depend on your body?

I dont eat anything processed. Period.
  • martalaurazayas
    martalaurazayas Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid eating meaningless calories. Pasta and rice are definitely meaningless for me. However, since I am a teacher and rarely have time to sit for a real lunch, I need to have something I can eat while I walk; sandwiches are usually easy to carry. But I do not eat bread. I use Mission Tortillas. I have one small tortilla with a tablespoon of peanut butter folded in half. If I am craving for bread, then I'll have a La Fe Casabe (Cassava) bread serving which is very low in calories. This is made of yucca root, does not go stale with a shelf life of 6 months, when baked for a couple of minutes has a great crunch, high in fiber, the bland taste makes it very versatile when choosing toppers, it is fat free, preservative free, and high in vitamin C. I suggest trying it.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I heard cutting down on bread is a major part in helping you lose weight. Well, either cutting down or eating VERY little. Could this be a possibility? Or does it just depend on your body?

I dont eat anything processed. Period.

FYI: Protein powder, deli meats, olive oil, coconut oil are all processed
  • windycitycupcake
    windycitycupcake Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    bread is awesome. whoever tells you not to eat bread is my enemy. try ezekiel sprouted whole grain bread only 80 cal per slice and high in protein and so deliciouso

just kidding about the enemy part. but i do love bread. if i didn't eat it i would feel like i was starving.
  • Jester522
    Jester522 Posts: 392
    Options
    I have trouble feeling hungry all the time if I avoid bread. I do better sticking to my calorie limit when I include some sort of bread in my daily diet. So for me...I Lose better with it. :)

Wheat is absolutely addictive ...

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/is-wheat-addictive/

Did you even read your link?
    I’m definitely anti-wheat. I think people eat way too much of it, and it appears to perpetuate its own consumption. I wish I could say definitively whether wheat is addictive as an opiate or not – but I can’t. Not yet.

Read more: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/is-wheat-addictive/#ixzz254r86opM

Apparently not. Food, as a whole, can be addictive let alone one category of it. This article is rather inconclusive but does provide food for thought (pun intended).
  • WhoIsAmber
    WhoIsAmber Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I eat bread occasionally when I make myself a veggie burger, it doesn't seem to help or hurt me any.
  • Cosmic_Unicorn
    Cosmic_Unicorn Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating bread during a plateau last year. Without changing anything else, I lost an additional 5 pounds and my belly flab flattened right out and I rarely got bloated. I felt great. Once I started eating bread again this all reversed, of course. Not saying this would be the case with everyone, just with me.
  • jazee11
    jazee11 Posts: 321
    Options
    I don't eat bread often at all. I haven't since about 2007. I do eat brown rice, millet, buckwheat groats, steel cut oats, amaranth and quinoa. I will occasionally eat corn tortillas. Even that is rare for me.
  • lope
    lope Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    wheat isn't even wheat any more... it's so loaded with chemicals for this and that, make it disease free from the insects, spray this on it to make it drought tolerant, the list goes on and on.

Wheat also has lectins, not so much a good thing.... you should read about them since they are in a lot our foods today.... always good to know what you are putting in your mouth.:drinker:

I quit eating wheat, especially whole wheat... just because. Boy do I feel so much better... no longer tired, bloated or crave sweets.
  • smokinjackd
    Options
    Not much of a bread eater at the best of times, but since I have changed up my diet I have pretty much gotten rid of risen bread. I still use whole wheat wraps and Ryvita dry bread. I just found a lot of the stuff we are tempted to put on and in bread really wasn't the healthiest of choices and b deleting it from my diet it makes the choices easier.
  • windycitycupcake
    windycitycupcake Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    shamelessly plugging my favorite bread....again...

-100% FLOURLESS
    -COMPLETE PROTEIN
    -WHOLE GRAIN BREAD

when these six grains and legumes are sprouted and combined, a complete protein is created that closely parallels the protein found in milk and eggs.
    In fact, the protein quality is so high, that it is 84.3% as efficient as the highest recognized source of protein, containing all 9 essential amino acids.
    There are 18 amino acids present in this unique bread - from all vegetable sources - naturally balanced in nature.

ezekiel-bread-nutrition-facts.jpg

ezekiel-bread2.jpg

Ezekiel_Sprouted_Grain_Bread.jpg
  • ajohn252
    ajohn252 Posts: 158
    Options
    I just stick to only whole wheat because it has
    far more nutrients and more taste I find.
    It has not affected my weight loss at all but that being said
    I only eat it in moderation.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    It has a lot of calories and carbs in you tend towards insulin resistance.

I cut a lot of bread out because they were easy calories to drop, but do have a little good quality bread (one or two pieces a week).

I always eat a lot of rollups instead and switch to Smart and Delicious low carb/low fat tortillas instead. The small ones are 50 calories and very tasty, compared to also very tasty whole grain bread at 160 calories a slice.

Thanks for the Ezekial bread plug - I have seen it in the grocery freezer but never looked at it. I make most of my own bread . . . I wonder if I can find a recipe.
  • SweetCheekszx0
    SweetCheekszx0 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I'm not a sandwhich person or a pasta person... So cutting bread out wasn't to difficult. But like the average joe I do enjoy the occasional sandwhich or bowl of spaghetti once or twice a month I don't think would do you any harm
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Bread upsets my body's natural balance. But that's just me.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    If cutting bread means you are eating less calories than you burn, yes, it will produce weight loss.
  • lope
    lope Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I would love to read a nutritionists or doctors article about why we should eat wheat... needing the science behind it. Not just cuz we should eat it.
    Bread is not pure protein... it can't be bread if it is. Just because the advertising on the front says it is, the label on the back contradicts the front of the pkg.
    Wheat is very hign in protein... just not pure protein. You really should google lictins... wicked little things they are.
  • donnas144
    donnas144 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    i try really cutting back bread just tempted to put marg/ butter etc. plus its quite high in calories. ive swapped sandwiches at lunch for salads and crispbread. does anyone know of low calorie bread?