COFFEE DRINKERS ADVICE NEEDED!

Options

Replies

• katie81smith
    katie81smith Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Coffee in this house is not an option either. It is manditory. I drink mine black and have for years. If your looking to cut the calories down a little bit, try only using 1/2 the creamer and slowly cut it back. I you make a huge change you will not be happy and end up going back to where you currently at. the only thing i have not seen on here is Sugar in the Raw. I know my mom uses it and she really likes it.
    Good luck.
  • DJ2120
    DJ2120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I was having the same issue. I really like my coffee light & sweet. But when I added up how much flavored creamer and sugar I was adding to each cup I was shocked to see that it was around 160-170 calories just for my morning cup of coffee and I usually have coffee twice a day. I didn't want to do without that flavor I was used to either though. So I switched to sugar free French vanilla creamer which is 20 cal a tbsp. and Truvia which is the closet sweetener I have found to sugar. So I do 2 packets of Truvia and 2 tablespoons of creamer so now my coffee is only 40-45 cals and still tastes yummy!
  • KALMdown
    KALMdown Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I waste 62 calories on coffee. If its a long day I'll double that but usual work it off through exercise. I have tried sugar substitutes and cannot stand the taste. I'd rather use 2 teaspoons (which I measure) of regular sugar and walk off the empty calories.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I get the nonfat creamers or the sugar free creamers(thats what I am on now- international delight sugar fre french vanilla.) it tastes FINE!!!! I know splenda tastes gross. I hate it too. Try truvia it is a sugar sub as well but doesnt have that horrid after taste. With that I would do 1 or 2 moo moos , just half and half and I think they are 20 cals per little single serving cup. Its REALLY not that bad. I am 100% willing to use a few calories on coffee as it is a necessity. I am with you in that I only really drink that and water, ever. Just measure (I use a plastic spoon). Really easy.
  • tasha_24
    tasha_24 Posts: 19
    Options
    I love the taste of coffee so im just lucky that Ive always drank it Black with no sugar, sweetners, milk, nothing! Just coffee and water, I cant function without it, so cutting it out just isnt an option for me :)
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I just use creamer with no sweetener. It doesn't really matter what kind for me, but my favorite would have to be "International Delight" fat free .... <- insert current creamer here :tongue: . Sometimes I use skim milk with 1/2 a tsp of sugar
  • strider1789
    Options
    Skim milk and Splenda! I like the taste of that combo, but sometimes I throw in a low amount of sugar free french vanilla flavored creamer. You don't need as much as you would with milk, and it adds flavor.
  • KrysGettinFit
    KrysGettinFit Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Skim milk at work and almond milk at home with a bit of sugar. I just can't transition to black, not yet anyway. Although, I can't have cream in my coffee either, to thick.
  • tuiccim
    tuiccim Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    This is an email from Hungry Girl (her newsletters are awesome!)

"Hi HG,

There are so many delicious flavors of coffee creamers out there, but most of them are not available in sugar-free or fat-free varieties. (Boo!) Are any of the regular creamers somewhat guilt-free? The stats look a little high.

Creamer Craver

Hi Creamer Craver,
    The short answer? Yes! I used to buy only sugar-free or fat-free creamers, but then I discovered that many of the regular ones have totally reasonable stats. Just stick with the powdered kind, which is my advice in general -- it's way too easy to over-pour the liquid ones. Plus, powdered creamers have a nice long shelf life, so you'll most likely save money and avoid waste. The serving size is usually 4 tsp., which is strange because it doesn't take more than a teaspoon or two to add amazing creamy flavor to coffee and other beverages. Coffee-mate makes my favorite powdered creamers, and lately I've been trying out tons of flavors that aren't sugar-free or fat-free. (There are a dozen flavors!) I'm especially loving Caramel Macchiato and Cinnamon Vanilla Crème. There's even a Belgian Style Chocolate Toffee flavor! These are a great way to satisfy a craving for something sweet without consuming too many calories. In fact, all of Coffee-mate's powdered creamers have just 15 calories or less and under a gram of fat per teaspoon. If you don't see many flavors on store shelves, you might want to order online. Hope this news just brightened up your day (and your coffee!). Enjoy..."

Have you tried Truvia? or SweetNLow?
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I use sugar free creamer rather than the fat free since it has fewer cals. I have tried half and half and splenda but I still prefer the flavor of the others. One thing I do is measure that 1 Tablespoon or 2 that I use and since I am like you,, I MUST have at least that one cup in the morning, it's worth the cals. It doesn't take that long to burn off 35 or 70 anyway.
    Have you tried the sugar free flavored syrups? I forget the brand but Walmart sells them. I have used vanilla and the amaretto is really good. It's not too bad if you add skim milk to it but I still prefer the flavored creamers. lol
  • steadk
    steadk Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    i've learned to get flavored coffee and use powdered creamer, because it has less fat than the flavored creamers that are liquid. i used to put both creamer and sugar in mine, now i only do one or the other. I also will do iced coffee and mix double strength coffee with milk. Less fat, and cals typically than doing both creamer and sugar.
  • annabell48
    Options
    Sorry hon. I, too, am an avid coffee drinker, but I drink my coffee straight/black. Look into Truvia as a sugar substitute. It has 5 calories per 1/2 teaspoon or 10 calories per 1 1/2 teaspoons (taken off a Truvia package). Truvia is derived from the Stevia leave and you need only half the amount of regular sugar. As far as creamers go, I'm no help for you, but I see that others have commented on that.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    I use great value coffee creamer. its 30 cals a tbsp. You can always add a no cal sweetener if you can stand the taste. Also, try adding sugar by the teaspoon instead of tablespoon to see what is the minimum you can deal with. .
  • eduardoschoen
    Options
    Blue Diamond Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk with splenda or stevia.
  • noweightfisherj
    noweightfisherj Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    The calories and fat in half & half is so small for what you eat on a daily bases, use that and enjoy your coffee.
  • Ladyiianae
    Ladyiianae Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I gave up sugar and creamer in 2008 cold turkey. I am an AVID coffee drinker...I HAVE to have my coffee first thing in the morning after my workout and then again right after lunch in the afternoon. Was a hard switch to adjust to but now that I've been drinking it straight black for almost 5 years I could never go back!

LOVE COFFEE!!
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Coffee Mate Sugar Free Caramel Macchiato (sp?) Creamer, its 15 cals per 2 tablespoon and then I use truvia for my sweetener, its more expensive than splenda, but its much sweeter so I just use less. I've actually been able to cut creamer for the most part out of my coffee, just depends on the brand and how strong it is. You can try buying flavored coffee or buy sugar-free syrup to put in it instead of creamer as well!
  • Anthyitis
    Anthyitis Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I use two tablespoons of so delicious coconut milk creamer. Since it already contains sugar, I don't add anything else.
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    The calories and fat in half & half is so small for what you eat on a daily bases, use that and enjoy your coffee.

My sentiments exactly. I have been drinking my favorite Peets' coffee w/half and half every morning, probably 2-3 cups a day, while I was losing weight and while I have been maintaining my weight loss for over 2 years.....if you like what you like, make room for it. There is no need to feel like you are depriving yourself of something you truly love, and something you will continue to love once the weight comes off and you are ready to maintain. There is no need for it.

There are lots of choices to make when you want to lose weight--what is "not worth it" and what is....this to me is worth it (and wine too....). Once you decide what stays in, you make those accommodations necessary in the diary budget and exercise plan.

Good luck!
  • SusanLovesToEat
    SusanLovesToEat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I stopped using creamer and use a demitasse spoon for sugar. If you switch to home brewed espresso this is easier as you need less and less sugar and no creamer.