How do YOU determine you want to be friends with someone?

Options

Replies

• mamakira
    mamakira Posts: 366
    Options
    1. Do the people need to have anything in common with you?

They don´t need to but that catches my attention. I mostly read what they say here and if I like what they say i send a request.

2. Did you read their profiles before sending the request?

I look but if it is private I will find out once we are friends.

3. Does gender or age make a difference?

No

4. Anything else that you found attractive?

Humor helps.
  • teepeetim
    teepeetim Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm a friendly guy, so pretty anyone who sends me a request gets in. No hesitation in deleting them if they turn out to be a nuisance, though.

Basically I like someone until they give me a reason not to.

Tim
  • Vince_1964
    Vince_1964 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    If I get an FR with a message, I'll usually friend them. Don't really have any set criteria. but I do like to see their food diaries and I will comment if they're consistently below 1200 or have negative nets.
  • The_New_Christina
    The_New_Christina Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Anyone with similar goals.
    People who are good motivators!
    Those who you can tell are really trying to lose weight and not on here just because.
    Inspiring MFP-ers who have lost a lot of weight
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I prefer to have lots of different friends with lots of different backgrounds and personality. Some of my friends make me smile a.lot, others share great info, others are sensitive and shy, male, female, winning the weight loss battle, loosing the weight loss battle, professional, students, newbies, longest on MFP. My friends list is comprised of people behind the computer keyboard and hopefully I treat them as such and vice versa. I delete for inactivity only when it's someone I really havent communicated much with and I'm feeling me list is becoming unmanageable. Just happened this week and I deleted a bunch of people who have lost interest/focus whatever in MFP and I didn't feel connected too.
  • MSimm62385
    MSimm62385 Posts: 227
    Options
    1. Do the people need to have anything in common with you? - Not necessarily, but I'm more likely to maintain communication with them if they do. Talking all fitness, all the time can get boring, and it helps to have people coming from a similar background I had.
    2. Did you read their profiles before sending the request? - Unless I know the person IRL, this is a must. Post a picture and fill out your profile. It sends off the message that you have set a goal and you really care about meeting it.
    3. Does gender or age make a difference? - Again, not necessarily, but like #1, I identify more with people with similar age and interests.
    4. Anything else that you found attractive? - I don't send friend requests to every hot-bodied girl on this site, but yes, a number of my MFP friends are attractive. It's what a lot of us are aiming to achieve in the end, right? ^_^

And if you decide against sending friend requests: What put you off? - No pic or profile. Unhealthy eating habits. No effort put into working towards their goal. Arrogance. Condescending attitudes. Etc.
  • jlsAhava
    jlsAhava Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I sniff their butt. I figure that it works for my dog, and he is pretty happy.

^^ best answer yet^^

I, on the other hand, accept almost all friend requests (though I prefer when they include a message stating why they want to friend me). I'll send a friend request for various reasons... common goals, impressive forum posts (witty and/or knowledgeable), common attributes (us shorties have to stick together!)...
  • Maryaly40
    Maryaly40 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I wish I'd get more requests! That gives me an idea :bigsmile:

Reasons Why You Should Friend Me:

1. My dedication is superb.
    2. I'm loyal like a dog.
    3. I'm cute :blushing:
    4. I'm a real motivator. In 2011 I was voted Role Model of the quarter at my job for my weight loss and the fact that I quit smoking too!
    5. I'm hardly ever negative.

Let the requests begin!
  • 13inchestogo
    13inchestogo Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    If they don't sound like a complete *kitten* and I have something in common with them. That is how!
  • marthadztx
    marthadztx Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I accept every friend req. I like to give everyone a chance because you never know how much motivation and inspiration a person can bring to help you on your weight loss.:wink::flowerforyou:
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    my profile is private so that keeps my FR to a minimum. If I find someone I'd like to friend, I send a message. In that message I usually have a disclaimer that if they friend me and don't feel like they mesh well with me or my profile, then no offense taken if they leave.

That way, I keep like minded individuals around and I get to maintain low, manageable numbers. I really like my MFP friends.
  • S1NN3R
    S1NN3R Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    They need to have a nice rack.. or be shirtless and have nice abs!! :tongue:
  • kddruckenmiller
    kddruckenmiller Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've denied a friend request yet but I do prefer getting a message along with it. Just so I know where they've found me. I keep 'em unless they are constantly negative or starving themselves, I can't get behind that.

I don't send a lot of requests unless it's someone I know in real life and we've talked about mfp.
  • matroma
    matroma Posts: 24
    Options
    I go by if someone has similar goals as I, or achieved what I aspire to. People who seem positive, focused, and are doing it! ("It", I mean, making the changes, doing the work. Not necessarily doing IT. LOL)
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I'm willing to sacrifice looks for a certain relaxed moral attitude.
  • gc_tweety
    gc_tweety Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I haven't put out too many requests but basically the two that stand out in my mind had profile pics (after pics) that I hope to have one day.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    If they are a good person, funny and are a positive presence, I'll add them. If they are a negative presence, heavily judgmental and only post to complain about their bad habits that they refuse to change, I'll delete them. I'm here for ME. I'll add pretty much anyone to see if we will get along. I have all kinds on my list and I love them all to death. :)
  • padraigin67
    padraigin67 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I hardly ever send invites and I keep with mostly positive and like minded people. While everyone has low points or issues and I am supportive. I am not into drama or trolling. So if your a Drama Queen,King, or perhaps even a troll, then your definitely gone. My friends are really awesome people and wouldn't trade them for the world!!!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Anyone who is a little bit nuts really.

I like to laugh, be outraged, feel loved, get my *kitten* kicked when I need it, flirt and generally be entertained by my friends and hopefully I entertain them as well.

The ones I have are all that and more, I just wish I could meet them in real life as well, the party would be awesome. :drinker:
  • Darkskinned88
    Darkskinned88 Posts: 1,177 Member
    Options
    I'm just being curious and was wondering what made you send the friend requests that you have sent?

1. Do the people need to have anything in common with you?
    2. Did you read their profiles before sending the request?
    3. Does gender or age make a difference?
    4. Anything else that you found attractive?

1. Sometimes, in a sports or tv related thread
    2. Most profiles are private
    3. Not really
    4. Women if i find them attractive i'd request, guys if they are amusing or really have a handle on what they're doing