paralympics

Options

Replies

• damedame
    damedame Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    the US doesnt play alot of different sports on the television. its not like theyre just excluding paralympics.
    also, truthfully, how many people would watch it?
    only few countries arent showing it. the US arent the only ones.

You need to widen your horizons a bit there. Millions are watching it, it is a shame you are missing out, there are US athletes there you know.

i agree with you. i love all sports. not just the american big 3. im just saying as a nation it wouldnt be widely watched. also, i dont see why its more important to show the paralympics over any other form of olympic even not during the actual olympics.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'd watch it if it was a paralympic hotdog eating contest.
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym with a 3 sport Paralympian He is a bad *kitten* for sure

And on another note Soccer is great for guys that like to score...Just not very often.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Is the special Olympics world games on tv anywhere? Just wondering ... I assume not. And probably because the entire world dislikes them.

(Yeah, ok. I am just being a snarky a-hole there. But I'm smiling as I do it.)
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    The world doesn't have to evolve around the U.S. and no one on here is saying it should. That being said, what U.S. tv networks decide to air shouldn't revolve around the world either. Each country is a different market and their tv networks will handle their markets accordingly. Are you still not understanding this logic? I've explained it repeatedly and it is so simple, yet you seem to miss it entirely.

I don't think anybody is missing the point actually; they are simply pointing out that it's actually quite a sad state of affairs that so many of you seem not to care. Also it seems you're all quite proud of not caring....very strange...

You don't see the point or your argument would cease. You're claim is that WE MUST WATCH paralympics or we don't care about the handicapped. That is b.s. We're not "proud of not caring" - we are honest that it's not something we want to watch, but that doesn't mean we don't care. If I don't watch the news this week, does that mean I don't care about what happened in the world or about the things that happened to people?

Who said anything about you MUST watch it? This thread started out asking quite simply WHY the US were not giving it any air at all.

When someone says that if you don't watch it, you don't care about the handicapped and that if you don't watch it, you're portraying a negative stereotype - that's as good as saying that she feels people MUST watch it.

She never said that either LMAO. Stop putting words in people's mouths, you are interpreting it all completely differently to how it was meant.

Blimey, the OP only asked if anybody knew why it was not being aired in the US, suddenly the whole thread went haywire with guilt-transference occurring all over the place.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Tsh0ck
    Is the special Olympics world games on tv anywhere? Just wondering ... I assume not. And probably because the entire world dislikes them.

(Yeah, ok. I am just being a snarky a-hole there. But I'm smiling as I do it.)

well, they've been and gone, so you're a little late for the party. (the last one was summer 2011.)

The BBC and other British broadcasters offered a fair range of coverage to the special olympics, as well as the national heats of the special olympics - which given the scale of the event (smaller than the olympics or the paralympics) and scope (less competitive) is perhaps a reasonable record... ? (this year's national coverage. http://www.specialolympicsgb.org.uk/news-media_media-coverage/)

Now, for the thread more generally. I'm intrigued that my comment about people preferring not to 'see' disability has been taken as somehow anti american. Indeed, I find the whole 'how dare you bash americans' tenor of this thread kind of weird. Realistically, this is not an issue just for Americans - I do think that there's a global tendency to do this. My friends who are in wheelchairs often comment on the tendency for people not to quite look them in the eye, or appearing to not quite know where to look when they encounter disability in the real world. Why was there such contraversy about the Alison Lapper statue? Because it made people *look* at 'different' bodies, and that's often uncomfortable for people. The culture of keeping disability invisible is not specific to the US.

That said, the US has a *huge* national team, including a large number of veterans. The decision of the US broadcasters not to carry your athletes' participation, and the view expressed in this thread that 'noone wants to see that' is kind of depressing, I think. And puzzling.

The paralympics represents a real potential intervention into this - a real space for people to consider what disabled bodies *can* do, and for people to *see* and recognise that disability is as ordinary as 'able bodied-ness'.

I agree with the poster who suggested that integration was an ultimate aim. I don't think we're quite there yet. The furore - largely in the US it has to be said, sorry guys! - about the selection of Oscar Pistorius to run in the Olympics illustrates, I think, a culture of discomfort with our disabled athletes being anything but 'special'. But I think people like Oscar and Natalie Du Toit are forerunners for integration, and I think ultimately that is where the olympics and paralympics should head. (I recognise that this is limited not just by politics and culture, but also by the practical issues of the physical environment.)

And for the person who asked whether we watch wheelchair basketball when it's not the paralympics. Well, no, I don't, cause I don't like basketball. I do watch wheelchair racing, and have been to swim meets. I also have good friends whose son competes in 'special' gymnastics, so go regularly to watch him. Does that qualify me to have an opinion?
  • ashblonde1
    Options
    I can't speak for everyone, but I can say that athletic competition is fantastic viewing when it is at the highest level. That is what the Paralympics provides, top class sport that is exciting and is of interest to the average person.

I think the problem that people have with the Paralympics is that the classifications are often difficult to understand and for that reason, it is occasionally difficult to understand how someone with missing limb can compete against someone who looks 'normal'.

Overall, I think that integration of the two events Olympics and Paralympics is the way forward.

Everyone should watch at least some of the games, to prove to networks that they should be heralding these athletes because they are brilliant at what they do.

Also, I am very uncomfortable with the word 'handicapped'... they may be disabled but I bet even with a disability, they are in better shape than the majority of us.
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Too bad I was away from the computer yesterday. I knew I would stir up a firestorm.

Look, it is simple. The US is about our style of football. It dominates. The paralympics wouldn't be watched here so no corporation will invest in such a losing proposition. It isn't because we don't care about the athletes, it is because we love football. I would bet if the paralympics went up against World Cup soccer it would be the same.
  • psychopiglet
    psychopiglet Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    On a more positive note, I have tickets for the Closing Ceremony! :D
  • tismyhardbody
    tismyhardbody Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    i was pissy abt this too -- really wanted to see it
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I would love to see it, but honestly I probably wouldn't watch due to Olympic burnout. It'd be cool if they did it next year to keep it fresh.

These athletes are very inspiring to me though. I have a condition where my rib cage is very narrow and inverted at the sternum. It makes it hard to breathe when I exercise. But once my dad told me "You know, there's people out there that run with one lung. You'll figure out a way to make it work." And that's when I made sure it wasn't going to stop me.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Too bad I was away from the computer yesterday. I knew I would stir up a firestorm.

Look, it is simple. The US is about our style of football. It dominates. The paralympics wouldn't be watched here so no corporation will invest in such a losing proposition. It isn't because we don't care about the athletes, it is because we love football. I would bet if the paralympics went up against World Cup soccer it would be the same.

Can't believe you just prescribed paralympic athletics as a 'losing proposition'.

But semantics aside: I'd say maybe half the contributors ti this thread have indicated an interest in seeing the event. Yiyr view that it's unmarketable seems unfounded.

Psychopiglet, lucky you. I'm off to see Oscar on the 6th. Can't wait!
  • vfnmoody
    vfnmoody Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Reply from a north american but not U.S. of A. point of view.

It is really sad that I will have to watch the paraolympics on you tube or streamed.

It is very hard to watch English foot ball for two reasons i) it is so slow... after growing up watching Ice hockey it is almost impossible to stay focused on English foot ball. ii) The constant faking of injury by the players...have they no pride ?

Rugby is a real sport... where else can you play a full contact sport that thinks safety equipment is some electrical tape to hold your ears on. God I love that game.

CFL is way more fun than NFL because with 3 minutes left to play you can still come back from 21 point behind.

Re the injury faking - that annoys us too. Doesn't happen in lower leagues though as much, and certainly not in the local league I play in. Oh he broke his leg? Substitute him off and we'll keep playing while someone phones an ambulance...literally....

That good to hear. I think a rule where if you go down with an injury you need to sit out for a minimum of 5 minute might solve the problem.
  • obeserat
    obeserat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    For anyone interested the U.S. are in 6th place ranked by Gold medal winners
    They have 9 Golds , GB are in 2nd place with 16 Gold and China are in the lead
    with 36 Gold.

U.S has a total of 33 medals, 9 Gold , 8 Silver and 16 bronze ,
    Table is here http://www.london2012.com/paralympics/medals/medal-count/
  • Kearsed
    Kearsed Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I would love to see it, but honestly I probably wouldn't watch due to Olympic burnout. It'd be cool if they did it next year to keep it fresh.

These athletes are very inspiring to me though. I have a condition where my rib cage is very narrow and inverted at the sternum. It makes it hard to breathe when I exercise. But once my dad told me "You know, there's people out there that run with one lung. You'll figure out a way to make it work." And that's when I made sure it wasn't going to stop me.

seeing anyone less fortunate than me trying for anything is always a reminder for me to stfu about any petty problems I have.
  • SurfinBird1981
    SurfinBird1981 Posts: 517 Member
    Options

What? I don't think anyone would say the paralympics isn't a good thing, American or not. The fact of the matter is it won't get watched by enough people... so why would a network put it on tv?? Plus we know our athletes will take home the most medals

:laugh: USA is in 6th place!

UK in 2nd :bigsmile:
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

seeing anyone less fortunate than me trying for anything is always a reminder for me to stfu about any petty problems I have.

I like the sentiment, but 'less fortunate?' I wouldn't assume that about any of those guys to be honest

Oscar Pistorius is a good looking millionaire sportsman and model who is super fit. He has houses in South Africa and Italy and he has been dating a Russian Supermodel! Spends his time on his speedboat and with his racehorses that he owns and trains. Does loads of charity work and will leave a huge legacy when he is gone. Sounds like a fantastic, fulfilling, rewarding life in which he has achieved more than most of us can only dream of. He is less fortunate than hardly anyone
  • SurfinBird1981
    SurfinBird1981 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    American football is greater than all

Apart from British football obviously :smile:
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options

I like the sentiment, but 'less fortunate?' I wouldn't assume that about any of those guys to be honest

Oscar Pistorius is a good looking millionaire sportsman and model who is super fit. He has houses in South Africa and Italy and he has been dating a Russian Supermodel! Spends his time on his speedboat and with his racehorses that he owns and trains. Does loads of charity work and will leave a huge legacy when he is gone. Sounds like a fantastic, fulfilling, rewarding life in which he has achieved more than most of us can only dream of. He is less fortunate than hardly anyone

I think that's kind of the point being made....that the competitors are immediate examples who have clear physical restrictions and haven't let them be a hindrance, or perhaps more specifically have pushed right on past that hindrance where a lot of people may well just give up.

Now they are where they are despite missing lower legs in the case of Pistorius and a variety of other things that the majority of us take for granted.

Makes some of our problems seem silly.
  • Kearsed
    Kearsed Posts: 70 Member
    Options

Id rather be in perfect health than be rich. I didnt mean less forntuate to be about money.