The no BS MFP EDUCATION thread

Options

Replies

• SordidEuphemism
    Options
    This is my bookmark. There are many other bookmarks like it, but this one is mine.
  • rowdylibrarian
    rowdylibrarian Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    This is my bookmark. There are many other bookmarks like it, but this one is mine.

No, it's mine!!! All Mine!!!! HAAAA Haaaaa haaaa haaaaaaaaaa!!!!

( "A lot of guys ignore the laugh, and that's about standards! I mean, If you're going to get into the Evil League of Evil, you have to have a memorable laugh!" )
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    What's the deal with high fructose corn syrup?

all i know is it's highly addictive and makes me feel icky... my boyfriend lectured me about it once, but i wasn't really paying attention.

I don't think so. If it was truly addictive, then there would be a withdrawal syndrome associated with it, which there is not.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I've seen a few comments about not seeing any peer reviewed articles on a couple of different topics, but it's important to remember that just because one person has not seen any does not mean there aren't any out there. The ability to site peer reviewed articles is only as good as a person's access to them. The problem with most peer reviewed articles is that they are not free and available to anyone that wants to read them. You have to be given extensive access through your job or pay the thousands of dollars per journal for a subscription or pay around 35 dollars per article. My husband has a PhD and he has access to a large number of peer reviewed journals and is the author of quite a number of them himself (on physics, not exercise or nutrition), that's how I know. If a person has access and time there may be more articles out there on any given subject. Just a reminder.

p.s. I just woke up with this thought and did not read all these pages of comments, so I do not know the current direction of the conversation. I will look through them.
  • Lazygal53
    Lazygal53 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Bump just because I'm still looking for an "aha" moment and think it may be here:)

^^^^This and many thanks for all the input here.
  • HappyCampers5
    HappyCampers5 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks! That is a great site!
  • HappyCampers5
    HappyCampers5 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE): The amount of calories you burn, including exercise. Eating at the level of TDEE is eating at maintenance, and should result in no net weight loss or gain.

Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR): The amount of calories your body burns just to maintain your lean body mass, not including activity. A great calculator for this is found here: http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

Note that the above link will give you the TDEE of your GOAL WEIGHT, so if you want to calculate your current TDEE, you must put your current weight as your goal weight.

Thanks, this is a great site!
  • tracpo
    tracpo Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    I've seen a few comments about not seeing any peer reviewed articles on a couple of different topics, but it's important to remember that just because one person has not seen any does not mean there aren't any out there. The ability to site peer reviewed articles is only as good as a person's access to them. The problem with most peer reviewed articles is that they are not free and available to anyone that wants to read them. You have to be given extensive access through your job or pay the thousands of dollars per journal for a subscription or pay around 35 dollars per article. My husband has a PhD and he has access to a large number of peer reviewed journals and is the author of quite a number of them himself (on physics, not exercise or nutrition), that's how I know. If a person has access and time there may be more articles out there on any given subject. Just a reminder.

p.s. I just woke up with this thought and did not read all these pages of comments, so I do not know the current direction of the conversation. I will look through them.
    My bulk of my current knowledge is from researching through peer reviewed clinical studies which helped me to dismiss a lot of the misinformation that gets passed along in the fitness industry. And you're correct, some studies aren't viewable to the public because of access. What I try to do when questioned is at least find a link or even a footnote on an article with information that can give verification to the actual study.
    Of course I've also seen how some people use only certain findings (and not overall conclusions) during the studies to support their opinion or stance.
    For example with aspartame, the anti crowds claim of it turning into formaldehyde in the body. That can be backed up with study. However what's not conveyed is HOW MUCH is truly needed to consume to problematic.
    Thanks for chiming in though because it's important for people to know that research and science really do try to give us the best information possible so we can make informed decisions.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

My bulk of my current knowledge is from researching through peer reviewed clinical studies which helped me to dismiss a lot of the misinformation that gets passed along in the fitness industry. And you're correct, some studies aren't viewable to the public because of access. What I try to do when questioned is at least find a link or even a footnote on an article with information that can give verification to the actual study.
    Of course I've also seen how some people use only certain findings (and not overall conclusions) during the studies to support their opinion or stance.
    For example with aspartame, the anti crowds claim of it turning into formaldehyde in the body. That can be backed up with study. However what's not conveyed is HOW MUCH is truly needed to consume to problematic.
    Thanks for chiming in though because it's important for people to know that research and science really do try to give us the best information possible so we can make informed decisions.

IDEA Fitness member

Yes, thanks for this explanation. I do understand what you are saying about the way information is gathered and how a study is conducted. Some are better than others. Double Blind studies are usually the best (as you already know), among other factors (as you mentioned). It's just good to keep these things in mind. Thanks for this thread.
  • kimbrlele
    Options
    Bump
  • FindingSexy
    FindingSexy Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS caused by insulin resistance.

1. How does insulin resistance cause infertility?
    2. Why does I.R. make it harder to lose weight?
    3. What do you think of supplements like chromium and cinnamon to help?
    4. What do you think of vitamins in general?
    5. Any other thoughts on insulin resistance and PCOS???

I know you are not a Dr. but, the only treatment is low carb diet and that is in your expertise!
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    If the recommended daily protein intake for maintaining and/or building muscle is between your LBM and your body weight, why are many body builders' daily intakes so high? I doubt highly they weigh 300 pounds.

What are your thoughts on supplemental protein vs. whole food protein?
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

What are your thoughts on supplemental protein vs. whole food protein?

I'm no niner -- dwight clark gives me nightmares -- but far as I understand it, protein is protein. so if you can't get it all through normal diet, 140 or so calories to jack it up another 25-30 gs is well worth it.

(to oversimplify, whey protein is basically just what's left after the liquid portion of milk is removed, right? )
  • innocenceportrayed
    innocenceportrayed Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time eating all of my calories and especially getting enough protein. A lot of people say 1g protein per pound body weight, is this true? If so should it be every day or just days on strenuously working out?
    Protein is essential. The 1g per pound of body weight is a general consensus. Meet your protein macronutrient limit EVERYDAY, especially on rest days because that's when muscle rebuilds. It doesn't rebuild when you exercise.

IDEA Fitness member

Great, thanks, just one more thing. On here, it says I should only be getting about 48g of protein which i've been doing better this week about getting it and sometimes I go over, but 48g isn't even half of my body weight equivelent.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    I'd thought it was 1 g per pound of lean mass. so easier to figure it at maybe .8 per pound on the scale.

48 sounds pretty low to me. what is your percentage set at? I'd guess you are around 150 pounds or so, so would maybe suggest 105g ... but I'd definitely wait for the niner man to add his input.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    It seems to me that if you are at your goal weight then 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight is good insurance to continue increasing LBM. But, for someone overweight, 1gram per pound of body weight could just be way too much. They would want to aim at eating 1 gram per pound of approximate first goal LBM (or whatever equation would result in that). This is just what makes sense to me in thinking about it. It's not something I read. I eat 1 gram per pound of body weight.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

I know you are not a Dr. but, the only treatment is low carb diet and that is in your expertise!

To my knowledge I.R. can only be broken through periodic fasting and weight training.
    Heavy weights!
  • innocenceportrayed
    Options
    I'd thought it was 1 g per pound of lean mass. so easier to figure it at maybe .8 per pound on the scale.

48 sounds pretty low to me. what is your percentage set at? I'd guess you are around 150 pounds or so, so would maybe suggest 105g ... but I'd definitely wait for the niner man to add his input.

I'm not sure what it's set to--whatever the default is for MFP--and I got my BF% measures yesterday, it's at 36% BF and it breaks down to :
    Body Fat LBS = 55.14
    Lean Body Mass = 95.85
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options

Not versed in gynecology so you have to ask your gynecologist.
    Because it causes more insulin and glucose increase in the blood which is what is causing weight gain.
    Some studies show that they help, but results are minimal. Most supplements only attribute to about 1% of any weight loss achieved.
    Needed along with minerals for efficient body function.

It's important to try to monitor it as best you can and really be consistent. Most clients that I've had that suffered from IR had to also work out much harder to obtain results that my average clients got.

IDEA Fitness member