September Cycling Challenge

Options
Is it September, already? This is the 4th month of our cycling challenge. We've had many people come and go. We LOVE the ones that stick around! We have several serious cyclers who put up fantastic distances, and we have a lot of people who, like me, are just starting out or returning to cycling (I got on a bike in May for the first time in 20 years). Wherever you are, whatever you ride WE WANT YOU! This is a very informal challenge. Feel free to post your miles, your minutes, your rpm's, how you feel, WHATEVER makes you get on your bike! Spinners/Indoor (I'm glad that I proofread that, as I had written "sinners" instead of spinners) cyclers are also welcome. Come along, it's lots of fun!

Replies

• larrys2112
    larrys2112 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm ready to get after it!!

exercise.png
  • SteveCro
    SteveCro Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I am in. Again even though I didn,t get 300 last month, I am setting my goal again for September at 300
  • andrewlazenby
    Options
    Put me down for 600 again. I have the MS 150 ride on the 22-23 of september where i plan to do 200 miles so i should not have any problem. Loving the cooler weather!
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Thanks for doing this again!

I am in again and am thinking my goal will still be 400. It might be a stretch but if I can have fewer days with 0 miles I might make it. I may also take some very long rides to make up for the days I only ride a few miles.

Hoping September is not too hot, not too cold and dry when we are riding:smile:
  • andrewlazenby
    Options
    Goal 600miles

September 1 - 57.5 miles 16.7mph avg 1569 calories

Calories (not that it matters I do not eat them) are based on the rough formula of 30 calories per mile ridden. It may be more or less on any particulary day so I let it just average out in the end.
  • sazzledazzle78
    Options
    What a coincidence! I have just returned from my first go on my bike for a couple of years! Only did 35 mins but it's a start!
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    What a coincidence! I have just returned from my first go on my bike for a couple of years! Only did 35 mins but it's a start!

Welcome!
  • CricketKate
    Options
    Off to a great start! 25.6 miles this morning.

exercise.png
  • Gapwedge01
    Options
    Exceeded my stretch goal of 400 in August so moving it up to 450 for September.

myTrackie3723.jpg

exercise.png
  • CricketKate
    Options
    I feel like I need to write a brief disclaimer. I started cycling in May and started my first cycling thread in June. In June, my longest ride was 4 miles and I thought I was going to die!:sick: When people started posting on the June thread and I saw the numbers that they were posting, I wanted to quit because I felt like my little 4 mile ride was hardly worth anything. I didn't quit because I had started the thread.

I always look at the long rides and picture these fantastic cyclers riding 20-30 miles without breaking a sweat and then going about their day. This morning I did my first 25 mile ride. I had to stop for breaks, my legs wanted to fall off, and after I got home I laid down on my bedroom floor too tired to move for about 2 hours.

The reason that I am writing this is because I don't want anyone to look at anyone else's distance and think that they shouldn't post here. On last months thread, someone said they wouldn't stay with us because they didn't feel like they could do 300 miles a month. I don't feel like I can do 300 miles a month. This thread is not to make you feel like you need to keep up with anyone else. We're just here to help motivate people onto their bikes. Cycling is fun! It makes no difference to us whether you do 30 miles a day or 30 miles in the whole month.

Happy Trails!
  • ferb03
    Options
    Oh man I wanna join!! I'm setting my goal at 300 for the month and will start by noting today's ride at 31.08 mile. That leaves e 268.92 to go :)
  • SteveCro
    SteveCro Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I am in. Again even though I didn,t get 300 last month, I am setting my goal again for September at 300

8/1- 8.6 miles - 12.3 ave.

8.6 miles for Sept. - 1522 YTD
  • jallison12
    Options
    Finally found this thread on the 1st of the month! First time joiner. Am tracking my rides through Endomondo (same user name) and was out today:

Distance 20.51 miles
    Duration 1h:36m:31s

I'm not sure of a target for the month, so will just use September to set my baseline.
    Glad to be aboard!!!
    jim
  • andrewlazenby
    Options
    I feel like I need to write a brief disclaimer. I started cycling in May and started my first cycling thread in June. In June, my longest ride was 4 miles and I thought I was going to die!:sick: When people started posting on the June thread and I saw the numbers that they were posting, I wanted to quit because I felt like my little 4 mile ride was hardly worth anything. I didn't quit because I had started the thread.

I always look at the long rides and picture these fantastic cyclers riding 20-30 miles without breaking a sweat and then going about their day. This morning I did my first 25 mile ride. I had to stop for breaks, my legs wanted to fall off, and after I got home I laid down on my bedroom floor too tired to move for about 2 hours.

The reason that I am writing this is because I don't want anyone to look at anyone else's distance and think that they shouldn't post here. On last months thread, someone said they wouldn't stay with us because they didn't feel like they could do 300 miles a month. I don't feel like I can do 300 miles a month. This thread is not to make you feel like you need to keep up with anyone else. We're just here to help motivate people onto their bikes. Cycling is fun! It makes no difference to us whether you do 30 miles a day or 30 miles in the whole month.

Happy Trails!

This ! I am in as much aw of someone making thier first ten mile ride as I am of someone pushing out a century..... I know how much both of them can hurt. On one of my rides I go past a driveway with a big rock that is about 1.5 miles from my house. I always look at it and smile because I can remember sitting on that rock thinking I was going to have a stroke the first time I rode my bike. My chest hurt, I was dizzy, and I could not for the life of me figure out how I got SO out of shape.

Remember what Greg LeMond said.... "it doesn't get easier, you just go faster".

I still see folks that can smoke me on a bike and I still feel like quitting. But all I have to do is go by my rock and know how much I have improved.
  • Nickle526
    Nickle526 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Setting my sights on 200 miles for the month, let's gooooo!

exercise.png
  • Nickle526
    Nickle526 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Off to a good start!

Sept 2nd: 19.03 miles

exercise.png
  • fortra
    Options
    I completely agree. After all everyone starts somewhere. Whether its your first jog around the track or the first mile on the bike, you can do it. It's about heart, determination, and sheer stubbornness.
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I am in for this one

1/9 10.9 miles
    2/9 12.7 miles
  • dancingj2
    Options
    I like challenges like this because its not a team competition and its not about who can do the most. Its about challenging yourself, encouraging others and sharing our experience. I hope anyone that enjoys riding and wants some encouragement will come and join us here.
  • dancingj2
    Options
    Daily goal 12
    Daily avg. 18.0
    Monthly goal 400
    Total so far 35.9

9/1 - 25.4
    9/2 - 10.5

The long weekend is giving me a great start to my goal! This morning was a lovely sunrise ride :)