The no BS MFP EDUCATION thread

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    If the recommended daily protein intake for maintaining and/or building muscle is between your LBM and your body weight, why are many body builders' daily intakes so high? I doubt highly they weigh 300 pounds.

What are your thoughts on supplemental protein vs. whole food protein?
    Because many body builders use enhancement and it increases protein synthesis. Other "natural" body builders listen to the bro science from the pros, so lots of it get passed incorrectly.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jmagdalena707
    jmagdalena707 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Bumpity bump
  • FindingSexy
    FindingSexy Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS caused by insulin resistance.

1. How does insulin resistance cause infertility?
    Not versed in gynecology so you have to ask your gynecologist.
    2. Why does I.R. make it harder to lose weight?
    Because it causes more insulin and glucose increase in the blood which is what is causing weight gain.
    3. What do you think of supplements like chromium and cinnamon to help?
    Some studies show that they help, but results are minimal. Most supplements only attribute to about 1% of any weight loss achieved.
    4. What do you think of vitamins in general?
    Needed along with minerals for efficient body function.
    5. Any other thoughts on insulin resistance and PCOS???

I know you are not a Dr. but, the only treatment is low carb diet and that is in your expertise!
    It's important to try to monitor it as best you can and really be consistent. Most clients that I've had that suffered from IR had to also work out much harder to obtain results that my average clients got.

IDEA Fitness member

Thakns for your reply!
    So, because of IR I have to work harder for average results! Yuck!
  • jenibryan
    Options
    In my understanding, if you aren't getting enough calories you can actually stymie your weight loss. Your body goes into survival mode and holds on to your fat stores. I'd love to have an expert chime in. I know that it is hard to think you might need to eat more but if you make them healthy calories and not empty calories, eat good foods and fats vs processed foods that will help. My calorie intake has stayed about the same (hovers between 1800-2200 a day), I've just substituted whole foods, stayed away from dairy, "white" foods (flour, pastas, potatoes, bread, white rice, etc), and sodas and I'm losing weight.
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Awesome.......another expert thread :noway:

LOL
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Bump...

...to read later...

...to see if my prediction that this thing spirals out of control later is correct or not...
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I'm way too drunk to read all this now.....bump for later.
  • alarae
    alarae Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    All I know is he always seems to know what he's talking about and looks great! I listen because I know Nothing! Thanks for posting. :)
  • barkin43
    barkin43 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I don't know what Bump really means, but Bump for later.
  • chubba10000
    Options
    bump
  • Momma_Grizz
    Momma_Grizz Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    :heart: this thread - thank you! :flowerforyou:
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    All I know is he always seems to know what he's talking about and looks great! I listen because I know Nothing! Thanks for posting. :)

That's referred to as 'bro science' :-)
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

That's referred to as 'bro science' :-)

or not.
  • I_wanna_live
    I_wanna_live Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    bump
  • gabriellegabster
    Options
    bump, thank you
  • medangel06
    Options
    Bump. Awesome thread.
  • JenRLo
    JenRLo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    TDEE Questions

I recently started eating closer to my TDEE, how soon should I start to see results (substained weight loss) to know it's working?

If I'm calculating my TDEE to my actual activity level, then I should NOT eat back my exercise calories, right?

When I finally get a HRM, can I wear it all day for a week to get a more accurate TDEE?

Thank you!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    In my understanding, if you aren't getting enough calories you can actually stymie your weight loss. Your body goes into survival mode and holds on to your fat stores. I'd love to have an expert chime in. I know that it is hard to think you might need to eat more but if you make them healthy calories and not empty calories, eat good foods and fats vs processed foods that will help. My calorie intake has stayed about the same (hovers between 1800-2200 a day), I've just substituted whole foods, stayed away from dairy, "white" foods (flour, pastas, potatoes, bread, white rice, etc), and sodas and I'm losing weight.
    Drastic calorie deficit will lead to a quick loss, but also a quick stall and maybe even longer. Body is really smart so if it senses a drastic energy intake, then it will first adjust by lowering metabolic rate. The body is very efficient at storing fat and doesn't prefer to give it up.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    TDEE Questions

I recently started eating closer to my TDEE, how soon should I start to see results (substained weight loss) to know it's working?
    Weight loss isn't linear, but if you are eating under your TDEE you should start seeing results in about a week or two. Sometimes faster.
    If I'm calculating my TDEE to my actual activity level, then I should NOT eat back my exercise calories, right?
    Correct
    When I finally get a HRM, can I wear it all day for a week to get a more accurate TDEE?

Thank you!
    An HRM isn't an accurate way to gauge your TDEE because all it measures is heart rate. Say you watched a scary movie or got excited about something that made your heart rate go up? Faster heart rate, but that didn't mean you actually equaled a calorie burn from exercise with the same heart rate.

IDEA Fitness member