Tonight is a blue moon ;)
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    Oh, HELL no!
  • kairisika
    kairisika Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    My god are there ever a lot of alcohol-dependent people here...
    (Not those who say they enjoy a drink here and there, and have no desire to give it up. the ones who say they can't possibly imagine giving it up for a month. That's a substance dependency, people...)
    You diagnose remotely based on one statement?
    Impressive.
    If you can't possibly survive your daily life without using alcohol, that's kind of the definition of dependence. It's not a very complicated diagnosis. People are openly admitting they are dependent on it.
    What I don't understand is why that sort of addiction is considered so acceptable.
    People here also say they can't live without cookies, pizza, and soda. Perhaps hyperbole is at play?
    If I started a "Starbucks free September" thread. People WOULD chime in and say they couldn't give it up. Some would even say they were addicted....
    Many people *are* addicted to Caffeine. It's extremely addictive. The downsides of caffeine are pretty low, which is probably why it is considered socially acceptable (even socially standard in some circles) to have a hard time making it through the day without taking a stimulant. But most people with a cup of coffee every day or more habit really are physically addicted, and tend to get headaches and other symptoms if they don't get their dose for the day. Again, the fact that it is considered acceptable to be dependent on a daily stimulant (even one with minimal side effects) is absurd.
  • Csitri
    Csitri Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I would of said yes, but I am going on a long awaited cruise mid September. Sorry :(

Not that I will have more than 4 the whole cruise.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,811 Member
    Options
    I would but I have a bachlorette party then a wedding this month, but normaly I only drink once every couple months
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I've been sober since 12/13/08.
  • aaeros
    aaeros Posts: 157
    Options
    I have given up drinking when I play pool during the week. That was tough enough. I'm not ready to give up my one day of the weekend yet =P
  • eyebex
    eyebex Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If any abstainers would like me to have one or two in their honor just let me know.

In all seriousness, I hope my weightloss journey does not lead me on such extreme paths.
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    tumblr_ls97dxIu4Z1qhdftx.gif
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    (Not those who say they enjoy a drink here and there, and have no desire to give it up. the ones who say they can't possibly imagine giving it up for a month. That's a substance dependency, people...)
    Impressive.
    If you can't possibly survive your daily life without using alcohol, that's kind of the definition of dependence. It's not a very complicated diagnosis. People are openly admitting they are dependent on it.
    What I don't understand is why that sort of addiction is considered so acceptable.
    People here also say they can't live without cookies, pizza, and soda. Perhaps hyperbole is at play?
    If I started a "Starbucks free September" thread. People WOULD chime in and say they couldn't give it up. Some would even say they were addicted....
    Many people *are* addicted to Caffeine. It's extremely addictive. The downsides of caffeine are pretty low, which is probably why it is considered socially acceptable (even socially standard in some circles) to have a hard time making it through the day without taking a stimulant. But most people with a cup of coffee every day or more habit really are physically addicted, and tend to get headaches and other symptoms if they don't get their dose for the day. Again, the fact that it is considered acceptable to be dependent on a daily stimulant (even one with minimal side effects) is absurd.

If you get a headache from not getting your daily fix of caffeine, that IS being physically addicted. Your whole statement was contradictory..
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Impressive.
    I kinda knew you'd hone in on the starbucks. and ignore the rest of my post.
  • Mindythegreat
    Options
    Just saw this, I'm ready. :smile:
  • kairisika
    Options
    Impressive.
    If you get a headache from not getting your daily fix of caffeine, that IS being physically addicted. Your whole statement was contradictory..
    How is it contradictory to say that people who "really are physically addicted" is an example of addiction? I think you might have misread something.
  • kairisika
    Options
    Impressive.
    Makes sense that you knew the relevant part when you posted it.
    Sure, some people exaggerate some parts. I don't disagree. But I've seen a genuine sentiment of "I could not survive a month without using alcohol" on this thread and others. I commented on the relevant part.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    No, you didn't comment on the "relevant" part. You took a small part completely out of its actual, hyperbolic context, and grossly twisted it into something it's not.

That's what we call "lack of reading comprehension."
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    Hubby's bday dinner was tonite at red lobster. I had 2 diet cokes to his 3 long island ice teas! :sad: well, at least he gets a dd out of the deal! Lol!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Impressive.
    Makes sense that you knew the relevant part when you posted it.
    Sure, some people exaggerate some parts. I don't disagree. But I've seen a genuine sentiment of "I could not survive a month without using alcohol" on this thread and others. I commented on the relevant part.
    I'll let others respond, if they choose to, to your diagnosis of them. I don't feel the need to continue. I've made my point. Cheers. (probably a "bad" sign off as far as you're concerned)
  • Sheckypie
    Options
    i'll join but i don't count really considering the fact that i really don't drink haha... the last drink i had was in June the one before that was on my 21st birthday last year.... i literally drink once a season if that haha
  • MrDangerSass
    Options
    I'm good with "sober", as in not drunk for the whole month of September, but what horrific diet idea does this come from? Good health is about moderation and balance. Giving up just about anything food or drink as part of a diet...seems more like punishment for not being willing to move more, do more, find balance in other areas...anyway...sorry for the rant but...oh heck no! Good luck.
  • moxleymama6
    moxleymama6 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I really need this. I gave up alcohol in Jan. and lost 10 lbs. At 45 years old, losing 10 pounds in a month is crazy for me. Slowly, and with the help of my good friends Shiraz, Pinot & Merlot ...those naughty girls...I've gained the 10 back! So, good-bye grapes!