Ever experienced appetite loss after exercise?

Options
13»

Replies

• Jac118
    Options
    Also same reason why your stomach is cold after exercise? (reduced blood flow?)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I have never really noticed, but I know what I will be doing the next time I exercise! :smile:
  • Jac118
    Options
    Yea check it out! Usually only happens to me during cardio/intervals
  • dshgna
    dshgna Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Don't eat fruit past 4 p.m.

My trainer (who's also a nutritionist) said that it's harder for your body to burn off the sugar from a piece of fruit, later in the day....than it is to burn it off from a piece of bread.

Don't take nutrition advice from your trainer. Anyone can call themselves a 'nutritionist'. Seek nutrition advice from a 'Registered Dietician'.

Your trainer is wrong about your body not being able to burn off the calories later on in the day juxtaposed to earlier on in the day.

Thank you! I was shocked when I read the first post! Fruits naturally seem a much more healthier choice than bread!
  • dshgna
    Options
    I find that I don't need to eat all the exercise calories that day but I do the following day when I'm famished but back to basic calorie allowance.

I find that after a day where I burn more than 1500 calories i am not hungry but the next day I am MORE than FAMISHED!

LOL! Yes experiencing this right now! i am famished!
  • dshgna
    Options
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought it was because, during exercise, your body is diverting its energy away from digestion and towards getting your muscles enough oxygen (increasing blood flow to the muscles and away from the stomach). The "hunger" feeling is your body telling you "okay, i'm ready to eat," but if your body is not focusing on digestion, then you aren't going to feel hungry

In terms of evolution - if you were running away from a threat (ie flight or fight response), I don't think your brain is going to tell you to stop running and grab some froyo. lol

I sort of remember learning about this in my evolution of nutrition class back in college but that was 5 years ago and obviously the human body is very complicated and there are hormones involved too -- so feel free to chime in!

I already responded on the last page - its the hormone peptide YY that gets triggered during exercise, which is basically an appetite supressant.

Yes I understand that - but *why* does our body release peptide YY during exercise. I think its because eating would divert blood to flow to the stomach/digestive tract instead of the muscles and its so your body suppresses appetite to prevent that.

I was just pointing out that it is this hormone because your last paragraph indicated you were not sure and did not know which one.

The study I quoted concludes as follows:

"Previous studies have shown that aerobic exercise can cause a transient suppression of appetite that lasts from several hours to two or more days. The mechanism for this effect is unknown, and the effects of resistance exercise on appetite are uncertain. The present findings confirm a transient (1 to 2 h) suppression of appetite during and after aerobic and resistance exercise. The findings suggest that ghrelin may mediate this suppression for both forms of exercise. There was an elevation in PYY during and after aerobic exercise, and this may possibly contribute to appetite suppression. Further research is required to determine how long exercise-induced changes in gut hormones persist and whether the changes have any effect on energy intake. A better understanding of the role of exercise in appetite regulation may lead to a more effective prescription of exercise for weight control. "

I have not looked into the reasons for why any further but this seems to indicate the exact reason is not clear - but maybe there is a clearer explanation somewhere else.

Thank you for the response both of you:)! It cleared up the WHYs for me!
  • pukekolive
    pukekolive Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Quite a few years ago I lost 5 stone (70lb) in 6 months - I split up from my husband and was quite stressed - a major life change and started swimming in the afternoons waiting to pick up my daughter after school. I was swimming 50 lengths about 3 times a week and it was almost like I became anorexic but the lack of eating came from the amount of exercise I was doing.

The last thing I wanted to do after swimming so far was eat!
  • Effpcos
    Effpcos Posts: 350 Member
    Options

I noticed that too, always a cold stomach after exercise, even if the rest of me is burning!

I too am not hungry after exercise, but this week I've been trying to have something, especially milk, cashews or yoghurt. Calcium apparently is very good post exercise.