bmi mistake???

Options

Replies

• asprague917
    Options
    the internet BMI calculators cant tell you much, google the old way to figure out BMI we did it in gym class in middle school and it involve these caliper type things to pinch the fat on you hips, calfs and upper arms....then the teacher did the caluclation based on that....height and weight wont give you anything that will just tell you basically per foot what you weigh....find the old school way to calculate it then find your true numbers.
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options

I love vintage clothes.

1960 Butterwick pattern for the Jackie O dress.

32" bust 25" Waist 36' Hips = SIZE 12! I have 35" hips and wear a modern size 2. I remember at 18 with tiny 32" hips, weighing 102lbs and still wearing a size 4. Vanity sizing is a complete joke.

So whatever size you currently wear...add 4-6 sizes to get your TRUE size.

I think there is an army of women out there taking comfort in the fact that Marilyn Monroe was a size 12! Um yeah, definitely not a today's size 12. And it is especially bad in America- I moved to England in the late '90s and went from size 6 to size 12 overnight.
  • EmilyTwist1
    EmilyTwist1 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    OP DOES have at least 20 extra pounds of fat. It's not "rude", it's a statement of fact.
    If you don't want honest answers, don't post on a public forum asking for advice.

If you are HAPPY with your body, then ignore what the BMI chart says and go on with your life. Problem Solved.

If you want to do something about it and become lean and fit, then do it. Problem also solved.

The End.

Actually, we don't know that she had 20 extra pounds of fat. BMI is a rough estimate of what is a healthy weight for a person based on their height. It does not take into account things like body composition. A person can be overweight according to BMI and still be very healthy if they have a low body fat percentage and lots of lean muscle. Likewise, someone can be healthy (or even underweight) according to BMI and still have a high percentage of body fat and very little lean muscle.

To OP: if you can, find out your body fat percentage. That will be a much better indicator of if you need to burn any fat or not.
  • Laurelje
    Laurelje Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I had a registered dietician tell me BMI is BS! They are just numbers and I don't place any importance on them anymore. What's important is how you feel about your body...how your health is...and if you are happy. If you eat right (and in moderation), and move your body, the rest will come.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options

I love vintage clothes.

1960 Butterwick pattern for the Jackie O dress.

32" bust 25" Waist 36' Hips = SIZE 12! I have 35" hips and wear a modern size 2. I remember at 18 with tiny 32" hips, weighing 102lbs and still wearing a size 4. Vanity sizing is a complete joke.

So whatever size you currently wear...add 4-6 sizes to get your TRUE size.

I think there is an army of women out there taking comfort in the fact that Marilyn Monroe was a size 12! Um yeah, definitely not a today's size 12. And it is especially bad in America- I moved to England in the late '90s and went from size 6 to size 12 overnight.

Someone recently inventoried all of Marilyn Monroe's dresses and she was tiny, tiny, tiny. Even the model dress dummies didn't fit them - they had to make new ones.

I haven't changed 'size' since I was 14 - almost 40 years ago. But I went from 128 to 188 pounds. I am hoping as I go down that my dress size will too.
  • nola1020
    Options
    Pre-baby I was 148 lbs, size 4, did Pilates 6 days a week. I am 5'4. My bmi said I was overweight too. Don't stress. Go by how u feel. NOT some stupid calculated!
  • lessoff
    Options
    I see an endocrinologist for a thyroid issue. Anyway, ive been going since 2008. we pull my thyroid numbers along with other indicators of health (cholesterol and blood sugars and a few others i cannot remember) as long as she sees progress on the scale and the numbers going in the correct direction she is happy.
    we had a discussion on what my goal weight should be, and she didnt want to put a number on it. she just wants to see my numbers improve.
    so maybe you can get some blood drawn and see where you fall? health is not always about weight.
  • danifo0811
    danifo0811 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    The OP says she doesn't have much muscle so I doubt that is messing with the results.

I'm right on the border of a normal BMI and I'm a size 8 at 5'4 so I'd guess yours is right. BMI isn't a good indicator of individual health but it is an indicator of probabilities in the absense of other information.
  • angeljamin
    angeljamin Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Try a scale that calculates it. I have a WW scale and it calculates height, weight, water, bone mass and BMI. You might get a different number.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5.5" and am 131 - BMI around 21. (Medium frame) When I was your weight, I was definitely overweight. Especially looking back at pictures now that I have lost the weight, I realize it even more! I think you get used to your weight, and if you carry it well, and are well proportioned, it is easy to fool yourself.

That being said, everyone carries weight differently.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    People who understand health and fitness know that the BMI is only a rough measure, although the people who complain about being overweight or obese according to it usually are.
    I agree that people who complain most about BMI are overweight(I am one of them), but BMI is a third world measurement of healthy weight. In this society, unless you wish to look like a 12 year old boy, the high end of healthy and low/middle overweight category is what I WOULD associate with a healthy weight if you exercise and maintain a healthy diet.

6ft tall and 140lb is just not a healthy weight unless you are built like a blade of grass I am sorry.
  • MsMuniz
    MsMuniz Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' and 118lbs and wear a size 6, my BMI is 23.2. I don't pay that any attention.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    because BMI is not reliable. it doesn't take into account your body build. you might have a big frame but it just assumes you're "average" build and thus, you're overweight.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I'm 21 5'6 weight 164 and wear a size 8 (probably would wear a 6 but i have a big behind) I think i look pretty average with with maybe 5 extra lbs on me. so why does my bmi tell me im over weight? i dont even get "in danger of being over weight" just plain over weight. i dont have big boobs but i am very much so an hour glass figure and not very muscular.

Because you are carrying 20-30 lbs of extra fat on you. That is why. Not to sound rude. But if you're happy with what you weigh, be happy. Its just a number.
    First of all, you ARE rude, whether you meant to sound that way or not.

Second of all, if you knew how much such an offhand comment from a man hurts some women, you would not say such things. It is INCREDIBLY sh*tty of you to say.

Third and most importantly, you are probably WRONG about her being overweight. The BMI calculators are too generic and do not fit all. You don't know this woman or her body and have no freaking right to say such a thing to her because YOU DO NOT KNOW.

You need to watch what the hell you say to women here on this forum. Shame on you.

Really? Maybe some people are just WAY too sensitive. I'd rather be told that I was overweight and do something about it than have you lot sugar coat thing so much that I end up diabetic. I just saw an honest reply and then women retaliating with rudeness and venom
  • GorillaEsq
    GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    I'm 21 5'6 weight 164 and wear a size 8 (probably would wear a 6 but i have a big behind) I think i look pretty average with with maybe 5 extra lbs on me. so why does my bmi tell me im over weight?
    BMI is absolutely worthless. According to my BMI, I'm Obese Class 2 or "morbidly obese." Asinine.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    BMI doesnt take into account your muscle versus fat. My brother was into body building and had no fat on him, yet based on his height and weight his BMI was obese!!
    Yes but OP states she is not muscular
  • live4strength
    Options
    BMI doesn't take into account your body structure such as lean body mass and fat mass. I am a personal trainer and tell all of my clients that I never will use BMI. A more accurate measurement is measuring your biceps, chest, waist, hips, and thighs. Seeing the inches lost is more motivating. Also, when taking body fat skin calipers are much more accurate than a Bio Impedence Feedback monitor which can vary depending on your hydration level. I hope this helps you out and gives your motivation to work on seeing your results along the way.
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I see on your profile that you want to lose another 12 pounds. At your height, if you lose 12 pounds, you will be in the normal BMI range. I believe in taking the BMI with a grain of salt, because it really is not a 'one-size-fits-all' tool, but it is a fairly decent guideline for many people.
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    And she says she's not particularly fit, so it isn't muscle. And it says she's overweight, which she is, not obese, which she isn't. Why get all psyched up to lose weight if you don't think you're overweight? The mind boggles.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I'm 21 5'6 weight 164 and wear a size 8 (probably would wear a 6 but i have a big behind) I think i look pretty average with with maybe 5 extra lbs on me. so why does my bmi tell me im over weight? i dont even get "in danger of being over weight" just plain over weight. i dont have big boobs but i am very much so an hour glass figure and not very muscular.

Because you are carrying 20-30 lbs of extra fat on you. That is why. Not to sound rude. But if you're happy with what you weigh, be happy. Its just a number.

Really? You didn't mean to sound rude?

The truth can sound rude, doesn't mean I'm trying to be rude. It simply means I'm trying to be honest. Brutally. But thanks for your concern.