Bumping for info.
  • Cheryl_66
    Cheryl_66 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    B u m p
  • _EmmaStrong_
    _EmmaStrong_ Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    It is said that: Abs are made in the kitchen. Is this true and if so please explain to me how, so I can start by going to my kitchen!
  • Steel6981
    Steel6981 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,667 Member
    Options
    It is said that: Abs are made in the kitchen. Is this true and if so please explain to me how, so I can start by going to my kitchen!
    In the sense that food intake and calorie control are what is responsible for "six packs" and not ab exercises, lots of cardio, etc.
    The truth is that calorie intake, correct macro/micro nutrient intake, exercise, rest, genetics, patience and discipline ALL play a part. But calorie intake and macros(and possibly type of foods eaten) are the most important.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • erinmick2
    erinmick2 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My first bump :)
  • PJ_73
    PJ_73 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I piled a lot of weight on in a pretty short period of time and have been back at the gym for around 4 months now and am almost 2st down. So far I have focused mainly on cardio but think I need to introduce some strength exercises too. In the past I have used the weight machines at the gym and seen some reasonable results, but should I be looking to use free weights as well or instead of?

To be honest I am not very good at remembering things, so have always gone with the machines because there is less to remember! Hope that makes sense!
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I dont want to undermine anyone as I think his thread is great, just wanted to point out that not everyone fits into the guidelines of these calculators. The number that fat2fit reccomended for me is higher than the number I was eating at and gaining weight. I log my calories meticulously and eat very clean foods.
    Everyone is different .

Absolutely.
  • lissaann22479
    Options
    What do you think about protein powder? Is this good for the body or should you try and consume it naturally? I use protein powder occasionally mixed in milk, and I add fruit to it. Please tell me your views on this.
  • mfpcopine
    Options
    I'm always afraid that when I'm spending my time at the gym I'm not getting the most out of it. Since I can't afford a personal trainer, how should I design my workout routines? Or, better yet, is there a definitive site or source that can help me build the right routines?

Right now I use a combo of free weights and machines for weight training and I alternate between the elliptical, treadmill, and stair climber (sometimes) for cardio. But I worry I'm missing muscle groups or the activities I am doing aren't actually effective. I've read a lot of conflicting information.

It's very confusing, but start with determining your goals.

Ordinary fitness and weight loss?
    Muscle development?
    Training for a sport?
    Fat loss?

If you have a lot of weight to lose, focus on losing weight and probably any general exercise program will work, so long as you are consistent. When you get closer to your goal weight you may want to do some research or try to find a personal trainer who can help you design a program consistent with your goals.
  • mfpcopine
    Options
    How much of difference can one see eating free range vs grain fed?

Just know your free range meat is going to be tougher than grain feed meat.

http://nutritiondiva.quickanddirtytips.com/is-grass-fed-beef-better-for-you.aspx

...the flavor of grass-fed meat is less predictable because the animals’ diets change as the local forage changes with season and location.

I have to agree with this. A burger place started serving grass-fed beef as a trial and we were asked what we thought of it. I actually like grain-fed better. Fortunately, I don't eat too many burgers, and this place was on the expensive side.
  • hooperkay
    hooperkay Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Okay I have a question. I just started going to the gym. I do cardio like 5 times a week and strength training every other day. I also play tennis competitively. So basically every day I'm doing something now. I normally eat between 1500-1700 cal a day. I haven't lost anything in the last couple of weeks, haven't gained either. I do have roughly 30-40 more pounds to lose, so I think I should see some loss. Inches haven't reduced either. I was thinking that I needed to up calories, but I am forcing myself to eat now. I'd rather drink protein or something. I have no clue what kind to get or how much? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  • alythe
    Options
    Bump. Thanks for the info, everyone.
  • mfpcopine
    Options
    I've seen a few comments about not seeing any peer reviewed articles on a couple of different topics, but it's important to remember that just because one person has not seen any does not mean there aren't any out there. The ability to site peer reviewed articles is only as good as a person's access to them. The problem with most peer reviewed articles is that they are not free and available to anyone that wants to read them. You have to be given extensive access through your job or pay the thousands of dollars per journal for a subscription or pay around 35 dollars per article. My husband has a PhD and he has access to a large number of peer reviewed journals and is the author of quite a number of them himself (on physics, not exercise or nutrition), that's how I know. If a person has access and time there may be more articles out there on any given subject. Just a reminder.

True "experts" ought to have such access, through professional subscriptions or university libraries or some other source.
  • aimsteen
    Options
    bump
  • Steel6981
    Steel6981 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    In the perfect world I would be able to develop a plan of exercise that covered all things equally, but I have found that I just end up doing a lot of things not so well. As someone with 100+ to lose, if I want to pick one thing and do it well is it better to pick cardio first to help with substantial weight loss? Is there any undesireable consequences to waiting to add strength training?
  • mfpcopine
    Options
    In the perfect world I would be able to develop a plan of exercise that covered all things equally, but I have found that I just end up doing a lot of things not so well. As someone with 100+ to lose, if I want to pick one thing and do it well is it better to pick cardio first to help with substantial weight loss? Is there any undesireable consequences to waiting to add strength training?

I'm no expert, but I'm sure there isn't a health consequence. Focus on losing weight and doing cardio or any exercise you like and will do consistently. When you're closer to your goal weight you can look at strength training then. You might want to make yourself do a little strength training now (which could be body weight work) along with the cardio purely to build the discipline of doing both things.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. Any exercise you can do consistently will help. Don't overwhelm yourself and end up doing nothing.
  • Iceman1800
    Options
    Okay I have a question. I just started going to the gym. I do cardio like 5 times a week and strength training every other day. I also play tennis competitively. So basically every day I'm doing something now. I normally eat between 1500-1700 cal a day. I haven't lost anything in the last couple of weeks, haven't gained either. I do have roughly 30-40 more pounds to lose, so I think I should see some loss. Inches haven't reduced either. I was thinking that I needed to up calories, but I am forcing myself to eat now. I'd rather drink protein or something. I have no clue what kind to get or how much? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    this is actually great information. You basically found out how many calories you need to maintain your weight while doing specific amounts of exercising. Maybe cut out about 200 calories a day and see what happens.