Options

Replies

• janak2004
    janak2004 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Saturday Success/Sunday Share

September Goals:

1. Back to the Future:
    ~ My goal is NOT to go back into the future and live my old ways. I've been trying so hard to keep motivated and keep pushing. I do not want to fall back into those old pitfalls. I have become comfortable with my new ways of life and I want to keep moving forward.

2. Pigs Fly:
    ~ I want to run in a half marathon in 2013. I can just now run 30 minutes without dying, so I know that is a lofty goal, but I'll be training for a 10K in November and want to push farther than that.

Saturday Success:
    I went to my family reunion yesterday and had a blast. There was soooooo much food and of course, it is rude not to atleast sample some of it. I sampled quite a bit, but never ate a full serving of anything. I even split dessert with my boyfriend so that I wouldn't be tempted to get seconds. :)

My mother has had a bit of an attitude since she got here and it has not made this visit with my family easy. She always seems to have to yell to get her point across, even on stupid topics when she feels like she is being overpowered on. Ugh. It is really annoying and frustrating. However, I have not turned to food a single time, instead I just drank more water and took myself out of the situation. That seems to work better.

My grandmother saw me and told me I was looking "thin" and that I needed to eat. I laughed at her and told her I was intentionally trying to drop the weight. She smiled and told me she was proud of me. I swear to you that lady is hysterical. She used to weigh over 350lbs due to a malfunctioning thyroid, and after gastric bypass now weighs right at 100lbs. So she knows about being big and small, but she still sees us as small children though and I love her for that.

Sunday Share:
    My first 5K is on Saturday and I'm a nervous wreck! I know I'm prepared now that I can successfully run 30 minutes, but it is still a lot to think about and I just hope I can finish.

My sister will be staying with me next week and helping in my classroom. I'm so excited because it has been a while since she and I got to hang out. I can't wait! :)

Well anywho, I will come back and do personals later. Family time calls.

~ Jana
  • naceto
    naceto Posts: 517 Member
    Options

Naceto I was just curious where you live when I saw the walk you took which huge props because those hills are killer. I live on the kitsap penninsula in poulsbo.

Howdy neighbor! I am in Everett, but grew up in North Seattle, so all of the Seattle parks are my "stomping grounds". Thanks for the props - On the way out on the trail, I told my son "maybe next time we will go the opposite direction"... on the last half mile, as we were going downhill, I was glad we hadn't come that way! There are definitely some good hills on that walk - either direction you go! If you take the Eastern direction to start, it is not as brutal, I think. There were a few hills where I had to focus strictly on what I was doing or I may not have made it up!
  • monarchris
    monarchris Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I hope everyone is having an enjoyable Labor Day today. I am exhausted from yesterday's activities with the grandkids and my sons. It was so good to see my son!:happy: His 5 year-old son told me his daddy was gone a long time, but now he is home and he is so glad his daddy is back. Made me want to cry. This poor 5 yo has been without his daddy except for Skype 3 years of his short life!!!:brokenheart: Got my walk in with Belle this morning, made it to the mailbox and back. Need to clean my apartment, but it is going to be a little bit at a time as my feet are hurting. It is a beautiful morning and I praise God for being alive and moving towards a more healthy me!

Hope the poor cat's tooth falls out soon. That is so sad the vet can't do anything for it.:angry:

Enjoyed seeing what everyone's goals are for September.

Robin, praying your shoulders heal fast and for your upcoming surgery to go well. I am so sorry you don't have anyone to help you post-op., if I were a couple hundred miles closer I would come help you.

Love you all and thinking of you.

Christine
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    I did have a Saturday Success yesterday. I'd hadn't taken measurements in so long, discovered I've lost another 2". I also picked up some workout tops and was pleasantly surprised I had gone down 2 sizes instead of one! :bigsmile:
    I must have strained both my shoulders when I swam and tried to do the Butterfly - they are still aching and very stiff - way too long for a normal recovery. I'm very frustrated with myself. I've been doing stretching exercises but they hurt like heck, hot packs, & I'm taking very strong pain meds since I can't take ibuprofen due to upcoming surgery, and they don't even touch the shoulder pain. I feel like such a doo-doo bird for getting myself in such a fix. I have no one to take care of me post-op either, so I have to get better fast.. I can barely lift my arms up to shoulder level and they even ache when I sleep. What a mess! Any recommendations?

Like Nicole mentioned, I recommend icing your shoulders - maybe even pick up something like the Icy Hot Roll On liquid or Salonpas patches. I've been using both on my Achilles issues and its been helping tremendously. Also, do you have access to a hot tub? After I swim I always get in the hot tub at the gym for 10-15 minutes, it feels so good on the muscles and helps to keep them loose.
    Sooo yesterday my son and I went to Discovery Park in Seattle, and walked "The Loop". The regular hike is 2.88 miles, but we took the long way and a couple of side trips and ended up with just over three miles. I am sore, but not in pain, which is awesome for me. A couple of the hills were a challenge for me (lungs and muscles burning) but I made it! We didn't stop and sit once in the whole loop, though we did stop for some pictures along the way. The biggest lesson learned yesterday..... I don't have to avoid hills. They are difficult, but can be conquered. Today, I am going to find a new route in my neighborhood and I won't shy away from the hills.

Awesome job, Nicole! One of my best friends from high school lives in Seattle - she moved there about 12 years ago, not sure where exactly though.

@SkinnyJeanz~Sorry about the continued drama with your MIL - I hope things work out soon, sure sounds stressful.
  • nicholsvj
    nicholsvj Posts: 220 Member
    Options

@nichols--so happy your pants are falling down! :tongue: :laugh:

:)
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @robin--I was going to suggest ice, but nicole and kelley beat me to it. It's not as comfortable as heat, but it will help more. WHen is your surgery? I can help watch for the roll-over--especially if it happens in the evening. I'm usually on here at night until 11 or 12. If it happens during the school day, I'm probably useless, so maybe someone else can watch out during the day.

@kelley-- congrats on the inches lost and smaller size!! that's awesome! :drinker:

@christine--glad your son is home with his family. My dad was gone a lot for the Navy up until I was 4 or 5--not deployed, but for school and training. We didn't have skype, of course, but he would write letters and call when he could. I don't really remember him being gone--I just remember being really excited when he came home. If it makes you feel any better, I think I'm closer to my dad because of it. He really made an effort to spend quality time with me when he was home. I'm sure there are lots of dads out there who never leave home, but are somewhat absent parents nonetheless. Being separated forces us to cherish the time we have together and build stronger bonds. I hope your son and grandson have the same result. :flowerforyou:

@jana--you will do great on your 5k and I know you will finish!! Even if you don't run the whole thing, I'm sure you will finish strong. My advice is, if you feel yourself waning at any point, just take a 30-60 second walking break to catch your breath and then continue running. My first 5k, I ran out of steam at the end and walked over the finish line--it was still a wonderful feeling to finish, but it's so much more fun to run across that line at the end.

@jt--hey, as long as you didn't eat a bunch of cake at that pity party, it's allowed from time to time.:wink: Glad you've shaken the bad mood.

@nicole--great job on that walk!! I haven't mastered "hills" yet. I put it in quotes b/c I'm in IL where (unless you're out near Iowa) there really aren't any true hills. I can't imagine how I would do in a really hilly environment.

Thanks to those of you who read my family drama rant and offered your sympathies--still curious how it compares to Aug's--maybe he'll tell me to fix it with bubble gum...:laugh:
  • Garetie
    Garetie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Sunday Share: My name is Margaret and this is my first post to this thread. I have been with MFP on and off (mostly off) since March 2011. In my quest to get healthy, I am working on quiting smoking, by using an electronic cigarette. So my main focus is on getting in enough exercise that I don't gain more than 10 pounds. So far so good.
    As Skinnyjeansbound already stated (skinnyjeans is my friend "ITRW") I have been lurking at this tread for over a week. Sorry for being soo nosey, getting to know the regulars, and not sharing seems to rude now. :blushing:
  • naceto
    naceto Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Sunday Share: My name is Margaret and this is my first post to this thread. I have been with MFP on and off (mostly off) since March 2011. In my quest to get healthy, I am working on quiting smoking, by using an electronic cigarette. So my main focus is on getting in enough exercise that I don't gain more than 10 pounds. So far so good.
    As Skinnyjeansbound already stated (skinnyjeans is my friend "ITRW") I have been lurking at this tread for over a week. Sorry for being soo nosey, getting to know the regulars, and not sharing seems to rude now. :blushing:

Welcome Margaret! It is not rude to "lurk"... it takes courage to post on a thread on any website, but with a website that covers something as personal as weight loss and health... TONS of courage. Great job :drinker:
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options

eh, there's nothing nosy about that. when i join a club or something if they meet in a restaurant i'll sit nearby with my food and watch them without introducing myself. people have called it spying or stalking. but i call it a cautious person trying to figure out if this is where i belong.
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    Skinny - isn't it a shame we marry into a whole family - Why can't we just pick and choose? Your MIL sounds practiced in making a difficult situation more difficult. Good luck to you over the next several decades! :flowerforyou:

Naceto - thanks for the tip on ice and Arnica Gel - I happen to have some so I'll give it a try.
    Super proud of you for tackling the hills on your walk - hills are way tougher than an even course. I admire how you look for a lesson in any new thing you accomplish.

Janak - your grandma sounds adorable for calling you "small". Now, listen you're going to do great in your 5K on Saturday, just be calm on Friday - no wild partying and you'll be OK! :wink: Glad your sis is coming to visit too. What a fun week!

Monarchris - you are so kind - I believe you sincerely mean your offer of help. But I'll do just fine. The only help I'll need is with groceries for a week or so and I have a friend who's offered to do that. THe rest of the stuff is too personal to have help with anyway :blushing:

Kah - WOOT! Lost 2" - that's wonderful - weren't you just thrilled? I just love NSV's like that. THanks for your concern - no, there's no hot tub to use, but I did take an extra long, hot shower today.

Skinny - My surgery is THurs. Sept. 4, and I will be discharged Sat. Sept. 6. If you could watch for the roll-over that would be great! If you remember, update the Aug. goals to the Sept. goals. Maybe we'll get lucky and it will happen before then. But thanks so much for offering. Now if we can just find a daytime person too.

Garetie - welcome! Any friend of Skinny's is very welcome here. Make yourself at home :flowerforyou:
  • RobinsEgg
    Options
    SEPT. GOALS:

Back To The Future: I need to get back on track with swimming. My Aug. Goal was to swim 3 days a week. I didn't reach that goal so I am going to meet it this month.

PIGS FLY: I am going to try Yoga this month. With my shoulder injuries, I have realized I need to do some serious stretching. I am going to practice some basic Yoga postures on days I don't swim.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    PIGS FLY: I am going to try Yoga this month. With my shoulder injuries, I have realized I need to do some serious stretching. I am going to practice some basic Yoga postures on days I don't swim.

Oh oh oh! :P I know I keep pushing it but I LOVE how easy this was for beginners to start.

Just My Size Yoga with Meghan Garcia.

HEre is part one:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XzXpvVqvp4

and part two:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FciSptSFNY
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    Just want to update goals:

Grading goals for the weekend:
    1. x/58 creative writing stories
    2. 28/49 "Columber" responses
    3. prep for Advanced Grammar class

I'm planning to stay home tonight, so I hope to finish the Columber responses at home. Then, tomorrow I can focus on prepping for my Advanced Grammar class for the week, and hopefully starting those creative writing stories.

My exercise plan this week:
    Sat = gym + walk dog--DONE!!
    Sun = gym + walk dog--CHANGE OF PLANS (see below)
    Mon = long run outside w/ dog
    Tues = walk dog + some sort of core work
    Wed = gym + walk dog
    Thurs = core work (it's Open House at school so not sure if I will even get to this)
    Fri = walk dog
    Sat = gym + walk dog
    Sun = gym + walk dog

This long weekend is messing with my brain. I came to starbucks to grade and realized around 1:30 that my gym closes at 3 today--forgot it was Sunday. :grumble: However, I've already walked the dog, and I have a backup plan. My lawn needs mowing and the weeds need pulling, so I will burn a minumum of 600 more calories taking care of those chores this afternoon. If I need a break from grading tonight, I may also try to slip in 15 minutes of core work.

Hope everyone is having a lovely Sunday! :flowerforyou:
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Greetings everyone.
    Welcome Garetie any friend of Skinnyjeanzbound…

Robin- when I have muscle pain in my back that is not too bad I use a spray or roll-on of something called Biofreeze. I got some from a Chiropractor once and now I order it online or try to find it locally. It is for sale at some massage places around here. It is not cheap but not too expensive. It is sort of like icy hot. It does not smell too bad or at least I get used to it quickly. Good luck with your surgery.

Lin- hope your Dad is getting better.

B- hope your Mom, sister, and even your brother :grumble: are doing well, take care of yourself!

Naceto- I never used to have digestive problems when I ate unhealthy food and weighed 400 lbs. Now that I am eating healthy food I find I am not as regular and I am way gassier then before.

My MiL is now in the hospital with pancreases problems, so my wife has been at the hospital for the last few days. My FiL is waiting for results of his cancer tests; hopefully it is just in his prostate. The tests are for everywhere else. I feel like hammered *kitten*. I can hardly walk or sit for long with my messed up back and my lower jaw hurts from having my molar ripped out. I want to just cry like a baby and go to bed and wake up to all this being over and done with. I am having a hard time keeping a good attitude. I am going to go take a real hot shower and then search for something soft to eat. I need to get some groceries but my wife has the car at the hospital. I guess I should be happy that all my pain should go away with a little time.
  • nicholsvj
    nicholsvj Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    SEPT. GOALS:

Back To The Future: I need to get back on track with swimming. My Aug. Goal was to swim 3 days a week. I didn't reach that goal so I am going to meet it this month.

Good luck with the Yoga. I don't do it nearly as much as I should and want to but every time I do, by the end of the session I feel 6inches taller and thinner! I know it's only in my mind, but I think it all starts there. If we feel tall and thin and flexible then we will be more likely to keep it up and get there some day! the only yoga I have done is on my Wii and some Pilates tapes. This is one thing I am hoping to do more.

Actually, now that I am responding to this post, I think that my Wii Fit Yoga is the perfect exercise when I get home from my 12 hour days. Not very cardio challenging, but if I can do running on Wednesdays and Saturdays (minus this week) and bike on Sundays...

Gosh, I love this thread! Way to motivate me Robin! And you didn't even try!
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    yoga is really hard. you wouldn't think it would be but it is. it also feels really good by the end though. have a great time with it.
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    Can't believe that after asking you all to welcome Margaret, I didn't even acknowledge her post! :noway: I'm kind of an a$$hat that way sometimes, but fortunately she's used to it. :ohwell: So welcome, Margaret!!! :flowerforyou:

@morgori--so sorry to hear about your in-laws--tell mrs. morgori my thoughts are with you all and I hope to see her back on the thread soon with good news. Also, hope you are feeling better quickly.

I finished the yard work and ended up burning almost 900 calories according to my HRM. :bigsmile: Also, I talked to my sister today and since we are both off for holiday tomorrow, I'm gonna go visit her and my niece. That means I need to switch around my exercise plan--will swap monday and tuesday. Now you all see why I need to do this week to week--sheesh!

My exercise plan this week:
    Sat = gym + walk dog--DONE!!
    Sun = walk dog + mow lawn/pull weeds--DONE!!
    Mon = walk dog + some sort of core work
    Tues = long run outside w/ dog
    Wed = gym + walk dog
    Thurs = core work (it's Open House at school so not sure if I will even get to this)
    Fri = walk dog
    Sat = gym + walk dog
    Sun = gym + walk dog
  • RobinsEgg
    Options
    MyMowmow - thanks for the reminder on the Yoga title and the YouTube links

Morgori - you've got me beat in the pain dept. hands down, and Nothing Worse than being at home without a car and groceries:cry: I hope all your relative's health problems improve. Gosh, you're getting hit from all sides.

Patty - glad I put the Yoga bug in your mind!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Have alternated ice and cold all day and that, plus 2 pain pills, have made me feel better. Also have done some good stretches and will repeat all before going to bed.
  • nicheven
    nicheven Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    @skinny, congrats on resisting the worse stuff!

@jt, sorry you were in a funk, but welcome back! Sometimes those emotions run wild with us even when we don't know why they are there. Hopefully they behave themselves for awhile for you.

@janak, your grandma sounds adorable. I'm glad once you told her you're working on your weight that she supported you, its good when they back you instead of making you feel awkward.

@Robin, I hope your shoulder gets better soon, hopefully icing it like the others mentioned will help it mend quickly. Praying for you with your surgery.

@Garetie - WELCOME! This group of people is wonderful and inviting. I've only been with them a week but feel very motivated and inspired by these wonderful ladies.

@MyMowMow, thanks for that link! I want to start yoga too, and that should help!

My Sunday Share - this weekend was...just...ugh. Yesterday at disney wasnt so bad. We are unhealthy, but we walked ALOT (12 hours of being there, so I put in a lot of miles), but today the FIL called and asked to goto breakfast which we did, had an omlette with peaches on the side, only ate half. Right after I had my Aunt-in-law's bday party, went for italian and then cake. Feeling like everything went out the window today, going to hit up the gym tomorrow (need to relax today, muscles are still tight from yesterday) maybe check out doing some yoga today so I don't feel like I've done nothing,