"just don't get THAT ripped"....

Options

Replies

• californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    If you stay natural (no steriods) you will not get that ripped as a female. I'm probably about as ripped as I'll ever get and I've been lifting (all natural) for about 30 years now. I lift heavy, but my goal is to look good so I don't brag about how much I lift, besides it is intimidating to other girls. It just does not matter. The bottom line is girls who lift all natural are not going to have abs like that one girl, but the one hanging looks pretty natural.
  • WendyFitMomCHANGED
    Options
    Tell him to kiss your buff toned *kitten*! :) My hubby is the same way. He's said stuff like "don't get too buff where you could kick my *kitten*" or before when I reminded him I was getting closer to the weight I was when we got married he replied with "Yea, but it's all in different places now."

Men can be jerks and very unsupportive when you're doing better than them. You just keep at it and make sure you're doing this for yourself.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Im not sure what you are asking but I can assure you you won't suddenly wake up one day extremely muscular.

In b4 "omg what a *kitten* you should get a divorce" etc etc etc

Too late.
  • fairestthings
    fairestthings Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is buyer's remorse. I'm wondering if he just wants you to lose weight but still hold onto some nice curves for him. Some people don't like a lot of muscle showing like in the picture you posted. I, personally, don't like men "that ripped" either. I've requested that my husband not get too obsessive about his working out because I don't want him to look too thin (from too much running only) or too crazy steroid-looking ripped. Just not my style, but it doesn't mean it's bad or ugly.

Anyway, if that had transpired between my husband and I... 1) I'd have smacked him for even finding a photo like that LOL. 2) We'd sit down (or I'd slide this into a comfortable conversation) and talk about it honestly. I'd tell him he really hurt my feelings by calling me fat/overweight/whatever, and there are better ways to tell someone to lose weight. Then I'd move on so he doesn't think I'm harping and ask him why he seems so worried about me becoming "too ripped"? You could also show him some artcles proving that weight lifting doesn't necessarily lead to girls looking like 'the Hulk' LOL. I used to think that too, until my husband told me to do strenth training with light weights for a month or so and if he was right (that I would just get leaner) then I'd see. And he was right!
  • ktied
    ktied Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    It's like he wants you to lose weight, but not "too much" that other guys might notice you more.... ohhhh men..

Haha my bf says this.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    As you said, you are doing this for you. Tell him to stfu about your fitness because in the long run it is your body. Of course he is your husband and you want him to find you attractive, but he needs to take a moment and realize how hurtful he can be with his words. It's not the same situation at all, but my ex used to call me fat all the time, and then when I started building muscle he told me I look like a lesbian. Now, I also have no problem with lesbians and several of my good friends are, but it was really annoying that he couldn't be pleased. In the end, I dodn't give a rat's *kitten* what he said about my body any more. I knew where I needed to be, and I'm still working on my goal.

Your husband loves you. Let him love you and your fit body.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    This is something I hear almost every day. My significant other is so scared I am going to "get all jacked".
    Just do your thing and do what makes you happy.

Tell him you really need him to tell you how he feels about you and your body rather than people outside of the relationship.

I won't call him unsupportive, or a jerk. Because he's probably just a bit clueless
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    "we have a great marriage...." :huh:
    Doesn't sound like it's too great if he's constantly criticizing your body, your behavior and your choices..[/b][/quote]

Why worry so much about what he says? To do it for you is one thing, to do it for another will not make YOU happy, like now, all he is doing is criticizing. If you truly were doing it for you it wouldn't matter much what his thoughts were, it's your body, not his!:noway:
    Yeah, sounds like a great marriage

yea, because having ONE problem constitutes divorce *rolls eyes*.

One problem, if it's big enough, can be.

He's insulting you and controlling you. These are common signs of an abusive relationship. If it hurts your feelings you really need to be honest and have a talk with him.
    I agree, a controlling partner is a sign of bigger things to come, nothing to "roll your eyes" about. It's as if you brought up his behavior and are now trying to defend that same behavior by recanting that's he's a great guy and the marriage is all that and a bag of chips..

Perhaps I missed something but I don't recall seeing the poster several quotes up even bringing up divorce, in fact no one has.
  • Renae_Nae
    Renae_Nae Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but I have a real problem with this. I can understand leaving someone who spends ALL their time in a gym and is more obsessed with their looks than spending time with you but because they are to ripped erks me. My husband has had a range of almost 100 pounds (to skinny to a ton of muscle to a little cubby back to nice and fit and cut). NEVER could I imagine leaving him because of how he looked. Yes, I'm sure if he became 500 pounds I probably would, but I'm thinking more along the lines of something drastic would have to happen and a person is not the same person when they gain 200-300 pounds. He's only seen a range of 30 pounds on me but I feel the way I carry my weight that was a pretty big deal. NOT ONCE did he say I need to lose weight, NOT ONCE did he try to stop me from losing weight (other than he craved ice cream so he bought it but he never pushed it on me). You need to have a serious talk about what and why that bothers him.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you are getting these comments from your husband. I doubt he understands how hurtful they are to you. Have you tried telling him?

Whenever one person in a relationship decides to make a major life change, it causes stress to the other person. Even though you aren't expecting him to do what you're doing, you are changing. When one person changes, the other is forced to as well, albeit in different ways. Most people don't like change, period. They really don't like change that they didn't personally initiate.

This may be as simple as that. He's stressed and has no idea how to talk about it as an adult, so he makes little digs instead.

Try engaging him in an honest discussion of how your changes are impacting him and where he fears it's all headed. You might be able to resolve a lot of issues that way.
  • T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    "we have a great marriage...." :huh:
    Doesn't sound like it's too great if he's constantly criticizing your body, your behavior and your choices..[/b]

Why worry so much about what he says? To do it for you is one thing, to do it for another will not make YOU happy, like now, all he is doing is criticizing. If you truly were doing it for you it wouldn't matter much what his thoughts were, it's your body, not his!:noway:

One problem, if it's big enough, can be.

He's insulting you and controlling you. These are common signs of an abusive relationship. If it hurts your feelings you really need to be honest and have a talk with him.
    ] I agree, a controlling partner is a sign of bigger things to come, nothing to "roll your eyes" about. It's as if you brought up his behavior and are now trying to defend that same behavior by recanting that's he's a great guy and the marriage is all that and a bag of chips..

Perhaps I missed something but I don't recall seeing the poster several quotes up even bringing up divorce, in fact no one has.

I forgot my sarcasm doesn't read very well via text. So in laymen's terms I'd like to say that these few statements that I am talking about in this very post are the only bad, rude, mean, or hurtful things that he's ever said to me. I don't see how three hurtful (and rather sarcastic) comments equals a bad marriage. I'm not defending his actions, but I'm not going to say my husband is being abusive either because that's far from the truth.... Idiotic yes, abusive not even close.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

But excessive control and body shame aren't a positive... Especially if you're turning to MFP forums, not talking to him o_O
  • Priincess_Natalie
    Priincess_Natalie Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    This is about you. You get as ripped as you want. He can get on board with you or get over it.

As for being "that" ripped...it's not impossible but it's unlikely. It's difficult to get there. It sound like you are heading in the right direction for fat loss and sculpting a lean, firm body but not "ripped".

Your hubby needs to keep his opinions to himself and be supportive of your goals.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Do whatever make you happy. I believe that in a marriage, compromise is important.... except in this instance. Your body and your health is a place where being selfish is a good morning thing.
  • WickedPixie1
    WickedPixie1 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    My guess is that he wants burlesque, not brawn!!
    Next time he goes into idiot mode, do the pec flex and say 'Hulk Smash'! LOL!
  • T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Options

Hahaha!! I love this! Lol
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options

I think that`s it, too. I know no military people, but my impression is that they might prefer the look of a `traditionally`female woman.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

Haha, I like this. Being "That ripped" just means that he doesn't want your body fat to go too low, which is a lot of work to do and maintain.

Now I am singing this in my head: "You've got the brawn, I've got the brains.
    Let's make lots of money"
  • sweetsungirl
    Options
    Well, dont know what to say about your husband that everyone else hasn't already said, but THANK YOU for posting that picture. Its Hawtness & I loves it! (saved to desktop)
  • BluthLover
    BluthLover Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Two things seem odd to me. That these are isolated comments. The only time he has commented on your body are these two times? The too fat comment and the too buff comment? Did he never care before how you looked? Also it seems odd you feel like you have to come here for support. I'm not saying that I don't. I very often come here for support. I'm just hoping that if you are really hurt by these comments that you have other people you can talk to about it. Or maybe you just like the anonymous forum here?