Options

Replies

• Kearsed
    Kearsed Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    American football is greater than all

Apart from British football obviously :smile:

No wayyyyy :)

Thats why England wants an NFL team badly.
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Nope, no coverage. We are about to start the college football (real football, not soccer) season and the NFL. Nobody would be watching the paralympics.

Ah of course. A sport only played in the US is naturally far more important....

Seriously. Sometimes you americans really don't do your own reputation any favours. Rise above the stereotype!

Wow, you're a bit rude, aren't ya?

It isn't like we have much say.
  • peter236uk
    peter236uk Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I cant believe the Americans have not got the Para-olympics on TV (they put alot of rubbish on tv) why not something that is inspirational and awe inspiring.

I went to the Olympics and I am also going to the Para-Olympics its seems odd that the US have a team there with many Ex Soldiers from Afghanistan or Iraq and its not on tv.

They should hold there heads in shame
  • roachhaley
    Options
    I cant believe the Americans have not got the Para-olympics on TV (they put alot of rubbish on tv) why not something that is inspirational and awe inspiring.

I went to the Olympics and I am also going to the Para-Olympics its seems odd that the US have a team there with many Ex Soldiers from Afghanistan or Iraq and its not on tv.

Yes, ALL AMERICANS, HANG YOUR HEAD IN SHAME. YOU ARE ALL RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS. YOU ARE ALLLLLLL RESPONSIBLE. ALSO AMERICA SUCKS.
  • Kearsed
    Options

I went to the Olympics and I am also going to the Para-Olympics its seems odd that the US have a team there with many Ex Soldiers from Afghanistan or tv.

Want a cookie?
  • haylz247
    Options
    I am very annoyed that it is on channel 4. I haven't been watching it because of all the ad breaks.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options

I agree. I thought there would be more coverage because of the military angle, and because of Oscar Pistorius' role in the Olympics. Interest and advertising rule programming. Hopefully increased interest in this year's Para-Olympics will cause some increased coverage next time around.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I would love to see it, but honestly I probably wouldn't watch due to Olympic burnout. It'd be cool if they did it next year to keep it fresh.

These athletes are very inspiring to me though. I have a condition where my rib cage is very narrow and inverted at the sternum. It makes it hard to breathe when I exercise. But once my dad told me "You know, there's people out there that run with one lung. You'll figure out a way to make it work." And that's when I made sure it wasn't going to stop me.

seeing anyone less fortunate than me trying for anything is always a reminder for me to stfu about any petty problems I have.

Id rather be in perfect health than be rich. I didnt mean less forntuate to be about money.

I like the sentiment, but 'less fortunate?' I wouldn't assume that about any of those guys to be honest

Oscar Pistorius is a good looking millionaire sportsman and model who is super fit. He has houses in South Africa and Italy and he has been dating a Russian Supermodel! Spends his time on his speedboat and with his racehorses that he owns and trains. Does loads of charity work and will leave a huge legacy when he is gone. Sounds like a fantastic, fulfilling, rewarding life in which he has achieved more than most of us can only dream of. He is less fortunate than hardly anyone

I'm not talking about money - I'm talking about quality of life. Some of these paraolympians have got a fabulous quality of life - health/money/hapiness/success
  • Irish_eyes75
    Options
    Wow... us Americans should all just go kill ourselves, shouldn't we???

Seriously, I would love to watch the paralympics and there are so many channels I'm sure the networks can throw it on one of them.
  • kingofcrunk
    kingofcrunk Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I've also noticed that the US has noticeably less entries in the paralympics than the olympics. It seems to me that the US government doesn't see disabled sport as being as worth investing in as able bodied sport.

Discriminatory?
  • roachhaley
    Options
    I've also noticed that the US has noticeably less entries in the paralympics than the olympics. It seems to me that the US government doesn't see disabled sport as being as worth investing in as able bodied sport.

Discriminatory?

Are you actually serious? Or just kinda dim?
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I don't think you can draw any reliable conclusions about the general attitude of US citiziens to disability simply because the US networks aren't airing the Paralympics. That's a tad unfair.

I think it is real shame though because:

a) Athletics is awesome
    b) Many of the stories of overcoming adversity are awesome
    c) Breaking down barriers and raising awareness is awesome
    d) Harder Than You Think by Public Enemy is awesome

It truly is an amazing event. I loved the Olympics and I love the Paralympics....
  • SurfinBird1981
    SurfinBird1981 Posts: 517 Member
    Options

:laugh: I have no idea about football to be honest, I like looking at Beckham and Ronaldo...that's about it!
  • Kearsed
    Options

:laugh: I have no idea about football to be honest, I like looking at Beckham and Ronaldo...that's about it!

Fair enough :). Both sports are huge for a reason.
  • SurfinBird1981
    SurfinBird1981 Posts: 517 Member
    Options

I used to watch football Italia on TV as a teen :love:

PS, love the Pug!
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Here's the You Tube channel for the paralympics: http://www.youtube.com/user/ParalympicSportTV?feature=watch for anyone who can't watch it on TV.

Here are the highlights, but if you go to the channel you can download hours worth of coverage at a time.

day 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlHlJVs__bs&feature=plcp

day 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQikMNRNlS8&feature=plcp

day 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxJKt5ihNvo&feature=plcp

day 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0T3-a9F_QA&feature=plcp
  • Kearsed
    Options

I used to watch football Italia on TV as a teen :love:

PS, love the Pug!

He isnt mine, just love this picture :) haha
  • heidimaggott5
    Options
    Nope. only ~GB and Australia are broadcasting live. rude!

And South Africa

GO NATALIE!!
  • peter236uk
    peter236uk Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I don't think you can draw any reliable conclusions about the general attitude of US citiziens to disability simply because the US networks aren't airing the Paralympics. That's a tad unfair.

I think it is real shame though because:

a) Athletics is awesome
    b) Many of the stories of overcoming adversity are awesome
    c) Breaking down barriers and raising awareness is awesome
    d) Harder Than You Think by Public Enemy is awesome

It truly is an amazing event. I loved the Olympics and I love the Paralympics....

Fully agree with these comments I just find it strange
  • med2017
    med2017 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Nope, no coverage. We are about to start the college football (real football, not soccer) season and the NFL. Nobody would be watching the paralympics.

Real football involves using your feet, playing a full 90 minutes, no time outs, no video replay delays and is the most beautiful game known to humankind (a fact that is appreciated by the 95% of the world's population outside of the USA....):happy:

Sadly we have very limited coverage of the Paralympics here in Canada too.

yes real football!!! :) hello from poland, just finished the football euro cup in MY country. proud to say hehe