Gastric Bypass/

Options

Replies

• gerbies
    gerbies Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I know 7 people personally (friends, co-workers, extended family) who have had various types of weight loss surgery (predominantly gastric bypass and a few with lap band). Every single one of them NEVER reached their ultimate goal weight. ALL of them have gained some weight back since their lowest. My most successful friend got within 25 lbs of her goal weight and has gained about 20 lbs back. The others range from gaining all that they lost, to about 1/2. I cannot imagine the shame and fear that one might feel after having this surgery, feeling like it would solve all issues, and then gaining your weight back.

As others have shared, a person must figure out how to eat well and exercise (exactly what a person without weight loss surgery needs to do). With weight loss surgery, you also have to be VERY careful with your micro and macro nutrients to ensure proper nutrition. I would NEVER have the surgery, but for some, either they do not have the discipline to do it themselves or they are in such grave health, it might be the only solution. Definitely do your research...
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I'm starting the process. Still have to drop another 50 pounds before they will operate but I"m working towards it. Something I would say to any person thinking of having surgery or who has had surgery; the surgery doesn't fail the person, the person fails the surgery. You only get out what you put in and if you change your habits and your relationship with food it will only go so far.
  • holpak
    holpak Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I had the gastric sleeve surgery done on May 3rd of this year and it was the best decision of my life... i am now 71pounds down from my highest weight and loving life. The sleeve cuts 80% of your stomach away and takes away most of the hormone gremlin that controls hunger.. so i'm never hungry like i used to be.. to each their own but this seemed the best choice to me.. no maintence you are done when surgery is done no fills or foreign objects in your body... no rerouting of your intestines. Good luck with your choice!!
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    It is an excellent tool...but it does not replace the need to watch your diet and exercise. Sometimes people want the surgery as a quick fix...and a way to lose weight without having to do the work. These are the people that ultimately fail. Even after surgery, you must commit to a life long change in the relationship with food. There is no way to lose weight and keep it off without putting in the work required. That being said...I am 5 months post op from a gastric bypass. It was the best choice for me. My diabetes is now perfectly controlled and I no longer have high cholesterol or high blood pressure. I also have to be meticulous about what I eat, and I have to exercise. Would I do it again? You betcha. I really believe it saved my life. Best of luck to you!
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I'm starting the process. Still have to drop another 50 pounds before they will operate but I"m working towards it. Something I would say to any person thinking of having surgery or who has had surgery; the surgery doesn't fail the person, the person fails the surgery. You only get out what you put in and if you change your habits and your relationship with food it will only go so far.

^^^this! :flowerforyou:
  • ncthomas09
    ncthomas09 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I know a few people who have had it done. One of them even helps educate people who are interested. But from what I understand (at least with this program) you have to see a psychologist and you also have to prove you can change eating habits. That's actually how I found out about MFP is because a friend of mine wanted to have it done but had to find a way to log the food for the dr to see. So instead of making a spreadsheet my friend hit google and found this site. So now I am on it to count calories (no surgery for me!).

But as people have already said it is an aide and must be accompanied by a life style change. As with other diets once you hit your goal weight that doesn't mean you just stop what you were doing because you WILL gain it all back. I don't care who you are. Yes weight loss can be done without surgery but sometimes that surgery can be a life saving option. Plus there are about 10 different kinds that can be done.

**edit**
    Also with my friend who found MFP...still has regular visits post op to the dr's showing logged food and exercise.
  • schustc
    schustc Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    there was a similar post a few days ago, and someone posted that most of the positive outlooks are from those that are recently out of surgery (In the honeymoon phase). Not all of the.. but a good percentage of them.

Of those that have had weight loss surgery, and are out long term (5+years).. I think far fewer will be positive. I've seen people with vitamin deficiencies suffer long term, and not necessarily keep the weight off. Short term, it's great. long term, the food intolerances from what I have heard, go away and you can eat almost anything with little issue. Problem is, the intolerences get less, the absorption is still low, so you can eat what you want, absorb only a fraction of the nutrients.. Lose Lose...

It's not what the majority of people expect, and that's what is sad. They think it's a magic bullet - and it isn't.

Anyhow - I wouldn't recommend any weight loss surgery, unless your co-morbidities are severe and you need to lose weight quickly for your health.

Good luck!
  • emmeylou
    emmeylou Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Hello :) I did not have the bypass, but I did have weight loss surgery (vertical sleeve gastrectomy... I *highly* recommend it). The thing with ANY weight loss surgery is that no matter which one you chose, it is ONLY a tool. Will you lose weight? Yes. Will you keep it off? Maybe. The maybe depends on you and how much effort you put into it. You have to learn new eating habits and figure out why you ate the way you did in the past. The tool helps you get near your goal, but it is only one small step in the overall weightloss journey. If you perceive it as the miracle cure you are going to be in trouble eventually because it does not work that way. I'm not sure if you are asking for yourself, for someone else, out of curiosity, for advice, etc. so its hard to just randomly write about my experience.

I fell in love with my sleevie (cue overdramatic sigh ) and I would do it over and over again in a heartbeat if I had to.
  • Iceman1800
    Options
    I know a few people who have had it done. One of them even helps educate people who are interested. But from what I understand (at least with this program) you have to see a psychologist and you also have to prove you can change eating habits. That's actually how I found out about MFP is because a friend of mine wanted to have it done but had to find a way to log the food for the dr to see. So instead of making a spreadsheet my friend hit google and found this site. So now I am on it to count calories (no surgery for me!).

But as people have already said it is an aide and must be accompanied by a life style change. As with other diets once you hit your goal weight that doesn't mean you just stop what you were doing because you WILL gain it all back. I don't care who you are. Yes weight loss can be done without surgery but sometimes that surgery can be a life saving option. Plus there are about 10 different kinds that can be done.

**edit**
    Also with my friend who found MFP...still has regular visits post op to the dr's showing logged food and exercise.
    not everyone will gain it back. Don't post statements when you don't know what you're talking about
  • btwenty
    Options
    I had it done 8 years ago. It helps get you to a point where you can eat normal portions, be small enough to exercise and be mentally int he game to really loose weight. It is not a perminant fix. I can eat almost anything I want. I never got dumping symptoms (I could eat ice cream and wash it down with a coke if I wanted). I am working now to lose the last 40 lbs that I need to remove. I am down 15 but I can tell you I have to eat right and excercise to get me there. I would still do it again since I think I would have given up before I ever lost the initial 90.
  • consrvtvmom
    consrvtvmom Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who had lap band done. I don't believe she has dealt with her food issues. She would overeat and then go throw up. She is now very active and exercises alot, but I feel that this is a sort of bulimia for her.
  • LikesVeges
    LikesVeges Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I know weight loss can be so discouraging and difficult...and especially when your doctor tells you you must consider bypass surgery to save your life (due to severe medical issues). However, I feel it should only be done in extreme situations.....and even then, I don't know. (The greater your obesity, the greater your chance of complications) I see first hand the worst situations, professionally....and they are bad. You are voluntarily allowing your body to be carved and refitted. There is no rewind button, you can't put your miraculous body back the way it was. Surgery should only be for true emergencies. I could write an essay here.

Have you watched the Biggest Loser? I was so glad when Dr. Huizenga spoke out, lamenting the effects of gastric bypass surgery. Do you have life threatening hypertension or diabetes? GET SCARED! Change what you are doing to save your life! Read and watch inspirational books, blogs, and videos every week, every day. Just like many have said on this thread that they had to do hard work after gastric bypass....and that is what it takes to have success (If you don't have complications).....well, do the hard work now. You are fighting for your life.

Here's an website of one person's experience:

http://gastricbypasstruth.com/life-after-gastric-bypass/one-month-after-gastric-bypass-buyers-remorse/

All this said, I completely get why folks have the surgery, we want to live. It's the doctors that I don't get, when they see what I've seen and heard, yet still recommend this surgery way too often. If you do have the surgery.... you have to, have to follow the guidelines to the letter. It's not just so you won't stretch out your sleeve or pouch, it's for your safety.
  • JimLeonardRN
    JimLeonardRN Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I had a gastric bypass on 4/9/12. Its a tool. You have to work it just like anything else. Friend me if you would like.
  • Leeannboswell
    Options
    I wish you had a different photo.
  • ErinShannon
    ErinShannon Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I had Gastric Bypass a week ago today. I started the process in January to begin to qualify for the surgery. There were monthly doctor appointments, physical therapy appts, psychologist appts, dietitian appts ,meeting with the surgeon, support group meetings, etc. It is something I have researched for about 3 years now - not something I went into lightly. I do not think this is a quick fix. This is a *TOOL* to help you in your weight loss journey. But just like every other single tool, you can fail your tool. Is this for everyone? No. Would I recommend it? Only to those who have done the research and fully understand and grasp what they are getting into and have also worked through the "why's" of their obesity.

I suppose some will come along and say I am in the honeymoon phase so of course everything is all roses, but I know I did this to save my life. I have no regrets having the surgery. The regret I do have is that I let myself get so big and so unhealthy that this became my last ditch effort to save my life.
  • technogal63
    Options
    I am 10 weeks post-op from RNY gastric bypass and have lost 56lbs. I follow my eating plan, track all of my food/water/nutrients, and walk 2-3miles per day. I feel better and have had no complications thus far thankfully. My husband had the surgery almost 3 years ago, has lost 205lbs and has kept it off by proper eating and exercise. It is a wonderful tool for those of us who have been overweight and unhealthy for many years - a literal lifeline...
  • jaj68
    jaj68 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    my bff just had it done. I told my husband how much she had lost since her surgery two weeks ago.....15 lbs. I am up to 28 pounds lost. My husband said the best thing ever to me. he said.." and you didn't have surgery"

My thoughts on this are quite strong. It is not for everyone. If you have to adhere to a special diet after the surgery.....why not just do it before the surgery too? I wish my friend the best......but everyone I ever knew that had it done gained back a significant portion of the lost weight.
  • AquaFitQueen
    AquaFitQueen Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I had the sleeve gastrectomy just over two years ago. The going was great the first year but then the weight loss slowed down...which is normal, but I still have a heckof a long way to go. Saw my surgical team last week to request an RNY to complete the journey and they were amazed that I am still losing and not gaining. I attribute that to MFP and working daily on the emotional baggage from a lifetime of obesity.

I know people who have had all the different types of surgery. Surgery WILL help you lose weight, but it will not do much to keep you there.

The only reason I am opting for more WLS is that I desperately need both hips replaced and I am still 474lbs. Soooo, I need the speed more than anything. If you DO have WLS, please stay on MFP and log daily. PLEASE. There are people here, some on my friends list who have set their calories for bariatric surgery needs and they get loads of support. Plus you will need to monitor carb vs protein intake for the rest of your life.

GOOD LUCK!
  • sebrantley25
    Options
    I had the RNY gastric bypass done in Feb 2011. I began my journey at 480 lbs. 1 year later, on the day of my surgery, I weighed 466. I am currently down to 335 with 100 pounds left to go on the surgeon's plan and 80 on mine. I've been stuck on a plateau for the last 8 months. I know my problem, but the drive to fix it hasn't been there until recently. This is the main reason I've joined here.
  • pithole
    pithole Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    My father had it done 10 years ago. He died from complications and infection a week later. There is no easy way to lose weight. It takes hard work and dedication. I am sure there are a lot of people telling you the same thing before me. If you can, try to talk anyone out of it too.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!