"Starvation mode", exercise calories, dillema?

Options

Replies

• LilBritGettinFit
    LilBritGettinFit Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

This website will calculate your BMR and TDEE for you based on height, weight, age, activity level etc.

I am currently eating at TDEE -15%

Great information, thank you.

AB
  • SisSGetsFIt
    Options
    Thank you VERY much for explaining this. I was previously confused and the picture is much more clear. I appreciate it very much.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Thank you VERY much for explaining this. I was previously confused and the picture is much more clear. I appreciate it very much.

this makes it all worth it. Very glad I could be of some help.
  • JessieTangerine
    JessieTangerine Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    bump to reread at an earlier hour
  • hannydee
    hannydee Posts: 246
    Options
    Felt this was in need of a bump...
  • kaervaak
    kaervaak Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Needs a bump, more people need to read this
  • tlafrance
    tlafrance Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Bearman45
    Options
    bump
  • Trapwolf
    Trapwolf Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Great post , and Thank you ,very informative
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I shared this with a girl who was consistently eating 300-800 calories. She deleted me. :ohwell:
  • starla5881
    starla5881 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Bumping for future reference. Beautiful explanation of the whole process!
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Here-here! I agree whole-heatedly and I keep telling my "friends" this very thing. Besides, I went through this at age 16 and I know what it does to your body. Thank the Lord for praying parents that were able to save me before I made it to stage three.

Am I over-weight now? No
    Why am I here? Because my current wardrobe got a little tight....I'm nippin' it.
    And I can always get more fit; pay more attention to what I'm eating and I like to help motivate others to meet their weight loss goals like I did...the healthy way.
  • cp37
    cp37 Posts: 36
    Options
    bump for later!
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Laoch_Cailin
    Laoch_Cailin Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Bump. Need to have more time to sit and read this. Thanks
  • xxsuzexx
    xxsuzexx Posts: 34
    Options
    Bump
  • jaz2099
    jaz2099 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've read all 10 pages, and I just wanted to clarify the conditions under which all this applies, because I've read several of the alternate day fasting and restricted calorie studies on ncbi and many of them state that "starvation mode" isn't something you have to worry about for a long time.

Assuming you remain in a deficit for an extended period in order to lose weight/burn fat (which are two completely different things which I feel were not distinguished in the OP) you're saying that this will have adverse effects on.. what, exactly? Increased muscle canablization, which is bad weight loss?

And my biggest question is is all of this based on a sedentary individual? Because again, several articles I've read have shown results in **fat burning** (not weight loss) while remaining healthy over prolonged periods of time when combined with strength/weight/resistence exercise through calorie deficit. Metabolic rate didn't decrease, insulin reception wasn't hampered, and muscle growth continued.

It seems to me that there would be some benefit to emphasizing not **weight** loss, but rather **fat** loss. Weight loss means nothing if you're doing it wrong, and this seems slightly tailored to a mentality that doesn't require exercise in order to maintain muscle while burning said fat and promoting increased metabolic rate, and instead goes for a "if you don't starve yourself TOO much, you don't have to do anything else" vibe, but then again I'm new here and have no idea what I'm talking about. It just makes me wonder because, yeah, you're losing weight/fat/whatever, but you're not really getting healthier or more fit. You'll still get winded from going up the stairs.

Anywho, lookin for some clarity. Thanks.
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • fuselighter
    fuselighter Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Bump to read this afternoon.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I've read all 10 pages, and I just wanted to clarify the conditions under which all this applies, because I've read several of the alternate day fasting and restricted calorie studies on ncbi and many of them state that "starvation mode" isn't something you have to worry about for a long time.

Assuming you remain in a deficit for an extended period in order to lose weight/burn fat (which are two completely different things which I feel were not distinguished in the OP) you're saying that this will have adverse effects on.. what, exactly? Increased muscle canablization, which is bad weight loss?

And my biggest question is is all of this based on a sedentary individual? Because again, several articles I've read have shown results in **fat burning** (not weight loss) while remaining healthy over prolonged periods of time when combined with strength/weight/resistence exercise through calorie deficit. Metabolic rate didn't decrease, insulin reception wasn't hampered, and muscle growth continued.

It seems to me that there would be some benefit to emphasizing not **weight** loss, but rather **fat** loss. Weight loss means nothing if you're doing it wrong, and this seems slightly tailored to a mentality that doesn't require exercise in order to maintain muscle while burning said fat and promoting increased metabolic rate, and instead goes for a "if you don't starve yourself TOO much, you don't have to do anything else" vibe, but then again I'm new here and have no idea what I'm talking about. It just makes me wonder because, yeah, you're losing weight/fat/whatever, but you're not really getting healthier or more fit. You'll still get winded from going up the stairs.

Anywho, lookin for some clarity. Thanks.

I agree with your overall statement regarding fat loss over weight loss (in fact, if you look at my profile, my statement below my name says it all). and while I may not have come out and said fat loss is the goal, not weight loss, I thought it was well implied. Regardless, that is the case, and the purpose of the post. I'm looking to help educate people on how to lose weight in the form of excess fat, to do so most efficiently is to keep your deficit small enough where your body doesn't feel the need to give fat storage a higher priority than muscle persistence or growth. this post was not meant to compare and contrast the difference between fat loss with exercise vs fat loss without, that's another topic.

Your first statement is a bit arbitrary, it depends on what is meant by a long time. I guess if 2 weeks is a long time then correct. but if they mean 6 months, while it's true that eating at a large deficit (big enough to enter starvation mode) can still allow you to survive for a long time, the effects begin far sooner than that.

Your second statement corresponds directly to my 3 phases where I outline the effects over the 3 periods of time, yes, increased muscle cannibalization is part of it, but also occurring are a host of other things, such as increased fat storage, decrease immune system function, decreased energy levels, possible complications with liver and kidney function...etc.

as to your biggest question, the answer is it has nothing to do with your activity level, other than to say activity level is part of the calculation for TDEE (active metabolic rate). Starvation mode is basically creating a deficit between how many calories your body needs to keep metabolic homeostasis which means calories burned = calories delivered (calories delivered being both food intake and any stored energy), when the body can no longer provide enough calories to meet metabolic homeostasis, it will begin modifying the TDEE in order to make them again match.

I guess maybe you're just mistaking the term starvation mode for calorie deficit, they are two different things (as is starvation mode and starvation), starvation mode is just a generic term for the inability of your body to deliver enough calories to meet metabolic homeostasis, it's people's concepts surrounding starvation mode that are usually in error. Sometimes it's people's prodigious use of the term to describe just about everything wrong with someone's weight loss strategy.

I don't know. I hope I answered your questions.