exercise calories explained

Options

Replies

• _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Sorry if I am being dumb here but I still have a question about exercise and its results on calories.

I start with 1320 calories allowance.

Two possibilities:

1. I eat 1320 calories, but I exercise and save 320 calories - a net value of 1000.

2. I sit still all day and do no exercise. As a result I get by with 1000 calories.

In both cases, I save 320 calories. Surely the exercise option is better for me?

If I am expected to just eat more to make up any calories I save by exercising, what is the point of the exercise?

You seem to be saying I have to use up ALL of the allotted calories, including any I save from exercise.

It seems odd to be suggesting I can lose weight by eating more.

That was my question too.
    Anyone care to answer?

you dont HAVE to exercise to lose weight. weight loss is 80% nutrition at least.... exercise is good for your HEALTH as well a TONING your body so you dont end up skinny fat. exercise also boosts metabolism.

find a calculator that will find our your MAINTENANCE calories needed per day. for example, i wore my heart rate monitor for 24 hrs on a rest day, absolutely did nothing all day, just went to my cousins bday party, and i burned 1750 cals. SO now i aim to net around 1400 calories becuase that leaves me with a 350 cal defecit...not too big but not too small. now, when i exercise and i burn 400 calories i now have a 750 cal deficit....this is too big....i will be burning muscle and holding on to my fat....MFP sets your cals according to your everyday stuff not exercise..plus, if you exercise you get to eat more...that right there gives me motivation to get off my butt hahhahaha hope that mumbling helped :)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Sorry if I am being dumb here but I still have a question about exercise and its results on calories.

I start with 1320 calories allowance.

Two possibilities:

1. I eat 1320 calories, but I exercise and save 320 calories - a net value of 1000.

2. I sit still all day and do no exercise. As a result I get by with 1000 calories.

In both cases, I save 320 calories. Surely the exercise option is better for me?

If I am expected to just eat more to make up any calories I save by exercising, what is the point of the exercise?

You seem to be saying I have to use up ALL of the allotted calories, including any I save from exercise.

It seems odd to be suggesting I can lose weight by eating more.

That was my question too.
    Anyone care to answer?

you dont HAVE to exercise to lose weight. weight loss is 80% nutrition at least.... exercise is good for your HEALTH as well a TONING your body so you dont end up skinny fat. exercise also boosts metabolism.

find a calculator that will find our your MAINTENANCE calories needed per day. for example, i wore my heart rate monitor for 24 hrs on a rest day, absolutely did nothing all day, just went to my cousins bday party, and i burned 1750 cals. SO now i aim to net around 1400 calories becuase that leaves me with a 350 cal defecit...not too big but not too small. now, when i exercise and i burn 400 calories i now have a 750 cal deficit....this is too big....i will be burning muscle and holding on to my fat....MFP sets your cals according to your everyday stuff not exercise..plus, if you exercise you get to eat more...that right there gives me motivation to get off my butt hahhahaha hope that mumbling helped :)

A couple of things...

True, you don't have to exercise to lose weight. Losing weight happens when you maintain a healthy caloric deficit. Exercise can help you attain that deficit, but it's not necessary.

Now... weight loss simply means a smaller you. If you're a big marshmallow, then losing weight will turn you into a smaller marshmallow. Why? Because when you lose weight you lose a combination of fat and muscle. This is where exercise comes in (especially heavy lifting). Lifting (along with sufficient protein intake) helps retain muscle. And what happens when you lose weight while retaining muscle? You lose FAT. That is (or at least should be) the goal of every single person on this site.

And what happens when you lose fat? You start to change the way you look. That is the "toning" that people talk about. Stick with it and you'll eventually start looking fit and strong and defined.

Lastly... when you say you wore your HRM for 24 hours? Is that a traditional HRM (polar, or the like)? Or are you talking about a bodymedia fit or something along those lines? Traditional HRMs use calculations to estimate calorie burn. One of the assumptions made by HRMs is an increase in oxygen exchange which happens during steady state cardio. As such, wearing an HRM during rest times will give a very inaccurate reading of actual calories burned.

Just FYI.
  • Maridar
    Maridar Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt, I am still confused... my profile says sedentary lifestyle because I am at a desk job all day. Then it asked how many times a week I plan to work out and I chose 6 times a week 30 min. when I chose that option, does it mean the MFP input it in my daily calorie calculations and I don't need to worry about eating back the workout calories? I also log exercise every day, do I need to do that or not? Please help.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    jacksonpt, I am still confused... my profile says sedentary lifestyle because I am at a desk job all day. Then it asked how many times a week I plan to work out and I chose 6 times a week 30 min. when I chose that option, does it mean the MFP input it in my daily calorie calculations and I don't need to worry about eating back the workout calories? I also log exercise every day, do I need to do that or not? Please help.

I don't believe that impacts your numbers. I think those are simply benchmarks for you to use as goals. It's easy enough to figure it out though... setup your profile saying you don't plan to work out and see what number it comes back with, then go back in and set it to 30 mins/6x week and see if the number changes.

If you set your profile as sedentary because you have a desk job, then yes... you would want to log your exercise cals (and eat them back).
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options

Lastly... when you say you wore your HRM for 24 hours? Is that a traditional HRM (polar, or the like)? Or are you talking about a bodymedia fit or something along those lines? Traditional HRMs use calculations to estimate calorie burn. One of the assumptions made by HRMs is an increase in oxygen exchange which happens during steady state cardio. As such, wearing an HRM during rest times will give a very inaccurate reading of actual calories burned.

Just FYI.

OH! good to know. I just wore a HRM Polar FT4 because that's all i had available...i don't have a fitbit as of yet... My calculations on the scooby site are 1708 to maintain @ sedentary and like i said I burned 1750 so it was still pretty accurate.

thanks for your tips!! :)
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Bumping this useful post again!
  • vaneguz87
    vaneguz87 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    bump
  • elle77
    elle77 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Thanks....needed to know this! :)
  • cindykrauss
    Options
    This in one of the most helpful posts I have found on MFP. Thanks. Need to check my settings now!
    Could explain alot on why the scales wont budge!
  • MattPBTX
    MattPBTX Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Great post and responses! I will definitely have to check my settings now. Thanks!
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    A great post, but please do keep in mind that not all calories are created equal :)

1500 calories in twinkies is going to have a much different effect on your body than 1500 calories in healthy foods. You may find that you still don't lose weight if your operating at an unhealthy defecit. A simple way to look at is this: if you take in fat/sugar your body doesn't have to do anything to store it as fat. If you take in fiber/protein your body has to work to convert it to fat. One is clearly better than the other.

Not saying you need to be a food nazi and eat only healthy food. Just be sensible and try to balance the diet a bit.
  • chamgiggz
    Options
    So would it be safe to assume that your explanation is 2 different path to reach the same goal...you can either count your burn calories before or after????...If that is the case, I think I rather the sedentary option better as my workout is not consistent...and I work out every other day, I don't have a set day to work out, so I just go wtih my 1270 and then if I burn, I try my hardest to eat it back....one more quesiton:

If Im not hungry should I force myself to eat the calories back??? just wondering
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    So would it be safe to assume that your explanation is 2 different path to reach the same goal
    Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying.

If Im not hungry should I force myself to eat the calories back??? just wondering
    To some extent it depends. If we're talking a couple hundred calories once a week, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. If we're talking 500 or 600 cals 5 times a week, then yes.

Look at things a bit bigger picture. It's great to be close to your goal a the end of the day, but its even better to be at it at the end of the week!
  • Aschefke05
    Options
    Great post!!! :) I needed that little bit of education.
  • mikes99mail
    mikes99mail Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Am I just weird then? I'm 6'2, 230lb, sedentary job but reasonably fit (sub six hours for 100 mile bike, sub 2.45 for olympic tri). Some days I can burn 2500 in a training session and if I eat back what my HRM tells me I burned, I get heavier.

I'm now trying to hit a food target of 1750 and up it to 2000 if I've been training, so some days I've got a net deficit of > 1000 calories, and I'm finally losing weight - but damn slowly.

Should I be eating a bit more?
  • cutesmile79
    Options
    Great post but still a bit confusing.:ohwell:
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,867 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Sierra_419
    Sierra_419 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    ah yes... lots of people need to read this.
  • amy112s
    amy112s Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this. A great clarification!
  • tmbowen12
    tmbowen12 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting!!