so, what was the REAL motivation?

Options

Replies

• bblich02
    Options
    when i wanted to completely transform my body. i wanted to make a goal, stick with it and succeed.

and i did!! i lost 10 pounds and got muscle definition. i feel more energized, healthy, and I'm proud of myself for achieving.

you can read more about my story at www.ifiloseweight.com

:)
  • bellydancer124
    Options
    I was starting to look my age.
  • PixEm
    PixEm Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    when I stepped on the scale at the Dr. and weighed more than I did at 9 mths pregnant. That was it!!

I agree! Mind you, I was 18 when I had my son and weighed in 9 months pregnant at 146lbs. But my real moment was when I was pushing 155 not pregnant, that's when it really kicked in.
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it so I don't feel invisible anymore. I get jealous when other girls get hit on and I'm completely ignored (even though I'm married it's nice to know that guys find me attractive ;)
  • GeekGirl23
    GeekGirl23 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Better sex with my wife. Stamina is a good thing.

That depends .....

Nah it doesn't depend it's a must.. If the guy doesn't last long enough for you to be satisfied then he better pick up some other skills. Hats off to you sir!
  • Ivana331
    Options
    This is kind of personal, but I am willing to share it on here.
    A couple of weeks prior to me making this change, I found out that my husband was flirting with a girl who was supoosed to be my best friend. I found texts to confirm his flirting. I was crushed!! Now, it's strange because she is much heavier than I am, about 5'4" and 180lbs, but I thought that maybe my husband didn't find me attractive any more and I knew my extra weight and bad food was lowering my sex drive. My hubby and I had a huge talk, worked through it, but anyways the point is, I want to feel sexy again! I want to be able to be naked with my husband and feel attractive, not all floppy and blobby and just gross. I want to be able to walk with him past other women and know I am sexier than all of them. Now, I want to clarify my husband never told me I need to lose weight, he doesn't think I am fat(and I guess at this point, I am not fat, actually) and he has always wanted to be intimate with me, but I never wanted to. So I have decided to get heathier so I can look better and get my sex drive back! It is working!! :) I am mostly doing it for me and my self esteem.
  • GeekGirl23
    GeekGirl23 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    A couple of weeks prior to me making this change, I found out that my husband was flirting with a girl who was supoosed to be my best friend. I found texts to confirm his flirting. I was crushed!! Now, it's strange because she is much heavier than I am, about 5'4" and 180lbs, but I thought that maybe my husband didn't find me attractive any more and I knew my extra weight and bad food was lowering my sex drive. My hubby and I had a huge talk, worked through it, but anyways the point is, I want to feel sexy again! I want to be able to be naked with my husband and feel attractive, not all floppy and blobby and just gross. I want to be able to walk with him past other women and know I am sexier than all of them. Now, I want to clarify my husband never told me I need to lose weight, he doesn't think I am fat(and I guess at this point, I am not fat, actually) and he has always wanted to be intimate with me, but I never wanted to. So I have decided to get heathier so I can look better and get my sex drive back! It is working!! :) I am mostly doing it for me and my self esteem.

Hun I would have been crushed too... but I'm not sure I would have been able to forgive something like that seeing as my ex husband started out that way then slept with some co-workers of mine. I know people can change though so maybe some marital counciling is in order. He should have been man enough to talk to you about it prior to "Flirting" with your bestie... AND what kind of friend is she that she'd do that.

DITCH THE TRASH and that will help your self esteem.. you are lovely!
  • imwithgizmo
    imwithgizmo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Some days I don't even feel motivated, I don't wait to be motivated I just do it.

^^Exactly^^ I think motivation can get you so far, and then wane. Determination is what carries you through the long haul!
  • Cupcakehippiemommy
    Options
    My weight loss wake up call was breaking a chair :embarassed: I kept that chair to motivate me and remind me of where I don't want to go back to...
  • MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I was admitted to a mental clinic due to a severe depression. The doctors asked whether I gained weight. I didn't know since I didn't really get on the scale but my clothes were somewhat tight. After a few weeks I went home for the first time and stood on the scale there. To my shock I weighed 10kg (22lbs) more than I did 3 months earlier. The new meds then kicked in and made me feel somewhat better. I decided for myself that I might not be able to fix the rest of my life/depression but that I would at least be able to do something about my weight. (Also, since a good physical health helps your mental health). It is now my main focal point in getting better. Whether I have a good week or not I can always look back at my dairy and exercise and say: "Yes, I have been working hard this week, and I am getting better".

The real trick is now to not overdo it. I'm not helping myself if I get to obsessive. /:
  • roohill
    roohill Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    When I stepped on the scale and my twin sister joked and said.. " Did you ask it our birthdate???" feb. 29th. ( 229) When I realized that I had joked so long about my weight that others felt it was perfectly okay to joke about it too. You get comfortable taking your place as " the fat family member".... When a total stranger holds the door open for a "hot" woman... and lets it shut in your face.. you start feeling subhuman. I hope your neighbor stays up at night worrying about her hot neighbor.. :) Good luck to you.
  • fletchleg
    fletchleg Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Mine was when I got weighed and found that I'd hit 23 stone. I was horrified and haven't looked back since, also putting on a pair of trousers for an interview which I hadn't worn since I finished work in January when they'd previously been baggy and loose, as I picked up a larger size by mistake, to find they were barely wearable and really tight.

I don't know why I didn't start this years ago. It's the best decision I've ever made.
  • Ivana331
    Options

Hun I would have been crushed too... but I'm not sure I would have been able to forgive something like that seeing as my ex husband started out that way then slept with some co-workers of mine. I know people can change though so maybe some marital counciling is in order. He should have been man enough to talk to you about it prior to "Flirting" with your bestie... AND what kind of friend is she that she'd do that.

DITCH THE TRASH and that will help your self esteem.. you are lovely!
    She said they were just talking and it got out of hand. She removed herself from my life instantly. And we have argued and argued about the whole sex thing. I have put so much energy into the kids and will admit to having pushed him aside when he wants to be intimate.I mean how must that make him feel, being rejected by his wife night after night, or being told to finish up quickly so I could get to sleep. Here was this girl finally giving him attention, and I can understand why he flirted, not that it was right or ok, but I understand why it happened! We talked it through and he admitted it was a mistake and I set ground rules and once I started working out, my sex drive slowly came back and we are working on our intimacy issues, and getting better. I have had low self esteem ALL my life, even when I was 115lbs, then it was my face, I felt ugly. So I don't attribute my low self esteem to him, at all. If anything like this happens again, he knows I will be out that door with the kids!
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I haven't really ever told anyone. I keep a 'journal' where I've wrote similar things, but I'm generally the type to avoid being personal with anybody. Anyway... the sharing here has been nice to read :)

My life has always been at such a standstill, despite everyone in my life once telling me I had a lot of potential (academic, creative, athletic, etc.)... in my teens I was always about a stone over every age (14 stone at 13, 15 stone at 14, etc.) right up until I stopped weighing myself at 18st, when I was 18.

At 5'4 that's huge... not even obese, morbidly obese. I had no confidence, no friends, no social life... no job. My family was really unsupportive and had been breaking apart ever since my mid-teens. I really felt 100% alone and like nothing was within my control.

It took moving out as the catalyst to changing my life. I moved away from my crappy family relationships at 21 and started taking control. I found immediately that just by having more responsibility over where I went, having to shop for food myself, having to exert myself to walk my dog and provide for myself, I was losing weight.

When I finally bought a new set of scales, I was 14st... and that really was the end of it for me. I looked at myself, not really ever noticing a change (I hadn't seen myself in a full-length mirror for so many years), and decided I could be better. I could be healthy. I could climb a set of stairs without sweating, climb into bed without raising my heart-rate so high it took me 20 minutes to fall asleep, run around a park and play sports and do all the things I really enjoy. So I decided to join the armed forces. I went to the armed forces career office and even after losing so much weight, the recruiter told me that the armed forces uses standard BMI tables and at my height & weight, I was still considered obese and therefore too overweight to join. I promised to lose another 3st and come back as soon as I had.

Now I'm 10.5st, and I'm looking to lose my last stone or so, because even though I've lost more than the 3st, I'm still not 'fit' and unfortunately at the moment -- what no doctor will ever tell you about losing an inordinate amount of weight -- I've got gallstones due to a MASSIVE reduction in cholesterol, and I'm waiting for a cholecystectomy (which could take a very large number of months) which disqualifies me from enlistment until I've had the surgery and recovered.

In the meanwhile, I'm getting as fit as I can.

*finish exceptionally long story/post*
  • Jesi0725
    Jesi0725 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    In April 2012, my husband and I treated ourselves to a very nice stay at a mountain resort to celebrate the end of my busy season at work. We reserved the "all inclusive" package, which included the room and three meals per day for the duration of our three-day stay. Prior to going on the trip, I had to purchase a new dress because I didn't have anything that fit that would be appropriate for an upscale restaurant. So...we went on the trip and proceeded to eat ourselves silly. We had elaborate breakfasts, amazing lunches, and four course dinners. We also took full advantage of the free Dove bars in the hotel's pantry. The only exercise we managed to get in was to take a short hike to an overlook point on the mountain, and that was a darn difficult task, to be sure. We had a wonderful time on our trip, but behaved like gluttons.

Fast forward to the following weekend, when we were back in the mountains for our daughter's dance competition. Our daughter took a picture of us sitting on a stone wall. I looked at the picture, thought about how much I had over-indulged the prior weekend, and started to realize that it was time for a change.

At the same time, but without speaking those words, my husband also realized that it was time to get serious about our health. We started tracking our food intake. We exercised and bought a gym membership. The pounds started coming off.

Now, we are down a combined 90 pounds, 10 clothing sizes, and countless inches. We still have a bit to go to reach our ultimate goals, but we are on our way. We have already talked about celebrating at the same mountain resort next April...sans the meal package. :love:
  • sourberry
    Options
    Went on a Disney cruise with my husband and my son and the few times I agreed to pictures, I look terribly fat and unhealthy. I'm sad there are no pictures I like of this event. We're going on another Disney cruise in January and I want to be happier with how I look.
  • mocha106
    mocha106 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    There are quite a few reasons but I specifically remember going to a party and looking at some pictures afterward. There was a woman there who had on the same dress that I had on but she was much, much heavier than me. I was seriously asking my friend about this woman with my dress and my friend was looking at me like I was crazy. I did not recognize myself. I never knew I was that big. I never saw myself as fat until that day. What a wake-up call!
  • frizbplaya
    Options
    I did an online BMI calculator and it said I was "obese". Something about that word and the health problems that come with it (family history of diabetes and heart disease) told me it was time to change. I've also talked about doing Triathlons for years. I'm doing a short one in 10 days and I'm going to do one that's twice as long next summer. My weight will be a big factor in how far and fast I can run so that's my motivation over the winter. My BMI is now under "obese" but I still have a ways to go before I'm down to what I would consider my healthy weight.
  • MarisaLWood
    MarisaLWood Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    A breast cancer scare when I was 40 (obesity is a risk factor for breast cancer). That was the initial motivator. I also have a family history of type 2 diabetes. My motivation now is to lower my risk of both.
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    On March 4, 2011, I was diagnosed with Diabetes. Turns out it was just borderline diabetes -- but, the doctor at the time told me it was full-blown diabetes. I cried for the rest of the day. Diabetes runs in my dad's family, and I always said it was my worst fear that I would end up with the disease. Somehow, though, I never did anything to prevent it. It just so happens that the day after I was diagnosed with this disease, I had plans to go see my father. I always knew he was in bad shape, but that one visit was the final straw. 2 days into the visit, my father went into diabetic shock (or something like that). His sugar (literally) bottomed out -- to almost 20. He was completely unresponsive. My step-mother was forcing things down his mouth, trying to get him to come around. She was telling me to help... and I was in the bathroom throwing up from the fear that my father was dying in front of me.

After that experience, I lost 42 pounds (within just about 2 months). Unfortunately, in the year and a half since that experience, I have gained half of that weight back. I kept a few of the changes I made in 2011, but too many reverted back to the old ways. This time around, the motivation is -- remembering the events of that day, the fact that my father just went on the transplant list for a new kidney, and the fact that a few nights ago I had a dream where a complete stranger told me I was too fat and ate all the time. When dreams start telling you what you already know, it's time to start listening to the warnings.