I want to call myself curvy

Options

Replies

• GeekyGoddess
    Options
    I really think this is an argument that cannot be won. But, as a fat woman it would be nice to see less fat bashing on MFP. I doubt the OP intended to incite fat bashing, but she did, none the less, by acting snobbish and insensitive. Call youself whatever you want but the fact is, none of us are made out of legos, and thus every single person on MFP has curves whether the skinnies like it or not, whether the guys find the curves are in all the right places or not, or whether society dictates that we are attractive at this particular time and place.

The word "curvy" no longer holds any meaning to me after reading this thread.
  • Stinkerbelle84
    Options
    Oh crap.. I thought I was in Chit-chat, fun, and games. Whoooooooops! I better get my curvy @ss out of here =)
  • franchesca127
    Options
    I agree! Curvy should mean Marilyn Monroe-ish not Adele-ish. Not judging, I think Adele is stunning, but she's overweight not curvy.

I wamt to be Beyonce-ish or Jennifer Lopez-ish lol :wink:
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Curvy just means to me "not skinny." Not that a person isn't thin, but that they aren't straight up and down. I still think of women with curves when I think curvy. I thought most sites that ask for body shape and size have a few options for those who may be heavier.

If guys are passing you by based on written body type, and didn't think to put "curvy" when they want women with curves, congratulate yourself on dodging a bullet. I really doubt that 100% of men are so horrified by the idea that a curvy category could include heavy women that they just avoid putting it down as an option.
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    If your main problem for the day is what word you use to define your body for strangers on the internet, I'd say you're doing pretty effing good in life.

Or you need a damn hobby.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I really think this is an argument that cannot be won. But, as a fat woman it would be nice to see less fat bashing on MFP. I doubt the OP intended to incite fat bashing, but she did, none the less, by acting snobbish and insensitive. Call youself whatever you want but the fact is, none of us are made out of legos, and thus every single person on MFP has curves whether the skinnies like it or not, whether the guys find the curves are in all the right places or not, or whether society dictates that we are attractive at this particular time and place.

The word "curvy" no longer holds any meaning to me after reading this thread.

She WASN'T acting snobbish and insensitive! Omg, I am so sick of this utter tripe that comes up. She said, "curvy has become a euphemism for overweight--why did that happen? Let's change it back!" That's fact! People have re-appropriated "curvy" to mean "overweight." So when someone is described as curvy or voluptuous, her initial thought is, "Wait, am I being described as actually 'hourglass' or 'overweight'?"

No one gives a **** what the word means to you or not--a word still has a definition that is being misused, which the OP was complaining about. You sound like the type that likes to change words to their own purposes.
  • Solisci
    Solisci Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Agreed. You can be skinny and have curves. I'm an hourglass, damn it!

:drinker:

agree!
  • Solisci
    Solisci Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Oh crap.. I thought I was in Chit-chat, fun, and games. Whoooooooops! I better get my curvy @ss out of here =)

haha right? increase the peace :)
  • auria17
    auria17 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Marilyn Monroe, she was the one who started those words, and hey by the standards of today she would be considered over weight. But she had .7 hip to waist ratio, and any woman with this ratio from under weight to well over weight, if they have this ratio will be considered smokin hot to most people. If you have this ratio naturally, awesome! most don't so we have to work at it, genetics only take you so far, the rest is will :-)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Marilyn Monroe, she was the one who started those words, and hey by the standards of today she would be considered over weight.

No she would not. That is a myth. Marilyn was TINY. Watch Gentlemen Prefer Blondes and tell me how overweight she was. There is ONE photoshoot (in the white bathing suit) where she appears a bit heavier, but she was not that size most of her life. Not even close.

In today's clothing sizes, she was probably a 2 or 4.
  • 4x4play
    4x4play Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Love this!!! I don't have the big boobs but I have the *kitten*..... and the small waist! Here's to bringing curvy back!:drinker:
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Marilyn Monroe, she was the one who started those words, and hey by the standards of today she would be considered over weight.

No she would not. That is a myth. Marilyn was TINY. Watch Gentlemen Prefer Blondes and tell me how overweight she was. There is ONE photoshoot (in the white bathing suit) where she appears a bit heavier, but she was not that size most of her life. Not even close.

Im so sick of people using that marilyn was a size 12/14 line.

ITS NOT TRUE! Sewing and pattern sizes are DIFFERENT than the sizing in stores today. Her measurements would indeed put her square between a 2 and a 6 - or 'perfect' as it falls in my head!
  • tennisbabe94
    tennisbabe94 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Agreed. You can be skinny and have curves. I'm an hourglass, damn it!

:drinker:

Yes!!
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

Well not entirely true, just like most women her weight fluctuated.

Here is an excerpt from an article from a woman that actually tried on Marilyn Monroe's clothes:

Okay, first of all, when folks toss around the "Size 16" thing, yes, that's a British 16, by which they mean a U.S. Size 12. (Although it should be said that some have made the claim for the U.S. 16, too.) Then too, this doesn't even make a lot of sense, because most of Marilyn's clothes, and certainly her costumes, like those of any star of the era, would have been custom-made. And as anyone who's seen her films knows, her weight shifted a lot, so any "Marilyn Monroe was X size" statement is, stopped clock-style, probably going to be accurate at some point.

But if people demand numbers? They're certainly out there. According to measurements from Marilyn Monroe's dressmaker:
    Height: 5 feet, 5½ inches
    Weight: 118-140 pounds
    Bust: 35-37 inches
    Waist: 22-23 inches
    Hips: 35-36 inches
    Bra size: 36D

In other words, whatever her size, her figure was an unusually dramatic hour-glass, which makes it kind of strange for women to compare themselves to her anyway.

I do agree that people like to use her unusual hour glass as a justification for their own "curves" that are less curves and more fat. :indifferent:
  • jessc4343
    jessc4343 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I prefer voluptuous...

That's starting to mean fat too... anything having to do with a sexy figure, is meaning fat... it pisses me off

What about hot b*tch?

"The only B-word you should ever call a girl is "beautiful".. b*tches love that..."

*edited to censor my own self :)
  • elly68
    elly68 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    well have to say i dont understand your desire to have a word to describe your shape other than your need to no longer be termed fat as this has been repeated several times ,once upon a time fat was the desired shape just look at frescos across the word not a skinny chick in sight and they are all naked each to their own a 12 can be curvy and so can a 20 yours a curvy fat chick .ps feel free to call yourself anything you want .
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Technically my body shape is curvy (I know from when I was thin) but at the moment I am fat. It is the word I used to describe myself because it is the truth. There is absolutly nothing wrong with the word fat and I wish people would realize that, society has made fat a horrible word and its not. Because at 50 - 100 pounds over weight you are no longer chunky, you are NOT thick you are straight up fat.

I have no problem with this thread at all. I just think that people feel FAT is a horrible word to use to describe ones body and its not - at least not in my world.

And I love you

I love you too.

And also yes, this was really annoying me earlier this week. Curvy ladies are ladies with a generous amount of T and/or A, preferably both, and small waists. Fat ladies *can* be curvy (some lucky ladies seem to put it all on the T&A) but being fat doesn't mean you have curves, it means you are fat. And being thin doesn't mean you don't have curves.

And I am not curvy no matter what weight I am. I am learning to accept this about myself.

Also I believe someone went and measured a bunch of marilyn's dresses, and in modern sizing she fluctuated between a 2 and an 8? Something like that. I'm an 8 now. Still not curvy.
  • FemmeJolie
    FemmeJolie Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I havent read all the pages (actually only the first and last one) but I think you can be curvy fat, curvy thin and even curvy muscular. I know with my body I get curvy the thinner I get (my waist/Ribcage V's in like a corset) But when I'm heavier I get boxy and even with my large breasts... I just look like a box torso with heavy boobs on top. My bestfread however weighs 250 pounds and manages to keep an hourglass figure even being heavy.
    Now about he Marilyn Monroe business I bet the highest she ever weighed was 165 because I've seen chubby corsetted pictures of her- And I bet the lowest was 115 because I've also seen tiny pictures of her.. and at that time a 12 was not a current 12 and a 16 was not a current 16...(I want to slap however made that up about her).I wish curvy still meant curvy too...
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Well not entirely true, just like most women her weight fluctuated.

Here is an excerpt from an article from a woman that actually tried on Marilyn Monroe's clothes:

Okay, first of all, when folks toss around the "Size 16" thing, yes, that's a British 16, by which they mean a U.S. Size 12. (Although it should be said that some have made the claim for the U.S. 16, too.) Then too, this doesn't even make a lot of sense, because most of Marilyn's clothes, and certainly her costumes, like those of any star of the era, would have been custom-made. And as anyone who's seen her films knows, her weight shifted a lot, so any "Marilyn Monroe was X size" statement is, stopped clock-style, probably going to be accurate at some point.

But if people demand numbers? They're certainly out there. According to measurements from Marilyn Monroe's dressmaker:
    Height: 5 feet, 5½ inches
    Weight: 118-140 pounds
    Bust: 35-37 inches
    Waist: 22-23 inches
    Hips: 35-36 inches
    Bra size: 36D

Comparing her measurements to my own, she would in fact be between a 2 and a 4 in today's sizes. I'm sure there were times in her life where she was on the higher end, but I'm 5'3", an hourglass and at 155 pounds with 39-inch hips and a 29-inch waist, I wear an 8 in most clothing. At 132 pounds, I was a loose size 6 and nearly a 4.

You only have to look at Marilyn (and keep in mind the camera does add weight) to know she was NOT a 2012 US size 16 or anywhere close. Yes, she had curves, but the kind the OP was talking about not the kind the word has come to mean.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm round which kind of makes a curvy shape so therefore my rolls of fat equal curvy. SO HAHAHAHAHAH FAT GIRL HERE CURVY CURVY WATCH THE ROLLS BOUNCE LIKE A CURVY BALL!