Can't eat over 800 calories a day.

Options
Why is it that if I eat more than 800 calories a day I either maintain or gain weight. I basically do the same amount of activities every day, and I drink fluids, but if I eat anywhere near 1200 calories a day I gain weight, if I eat between 800 and 1000 I maintain. Any ideas?

Replies

• 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I'd guess that you are not logging correctly.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Assuming you do not have any medical conditions that would interfere, my first guess is that you are not counting calories correctly (estimation errors) and/or you are not allowing enough time (ex: weigh yourself in a few days, see 1 lb of water weight and panic assuming you gained fat).

Those are my blunt guesses.
  • katweeks63
    Options

I am logging everything, even condiments and spices.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

But are you measuring all the liquids and weighing all the solids?
  • angeldaae
    angeldaae Posts: 348 Member
    Options

Open your diary and let us have a look.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

i agree. you are probably not measuring things accurately.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Assuming you do not have any medical conditions that would interfere, my first guess is that you are not counting calories correctly (estimation errors) and/or you are not allowing enough time (ex: weigh yourself in a few days, see 1 lb of water weight and panic assuming you gained fat).

^ What Mr.Steel said.

OP you are seeing water and glycogen stores causing you to "gain weight". It isn't fat though.
  • katweeks63
    Options

I don't estimate, I research if it is not listed on the package. I log everything. I expect water weight, but I don't expect to gain a pound when I have ate under my goal every day. I don't cheat, no purpose in that.
  • katweeks63
    Options

I measure and weigh everything.
  • jayne7769
    Options
    Are you short?
    I have a similar thing, If I ate the recommended daily allowance for a woman I'd be the size of an elephant! I'm only 5ft and have come to the conclusion that since I am the size of a child that I can only ever eat child portions and have to eat a lot less than 'normal' height people.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Why is it that if I eat more than 800 calories a day I either maintain or gain weight. I basically do the same amount of activities every day, and I drink fluids, but if I eat anywhere near 1200 calories a day I gain weight, if I eat between 800 and 1000 I maintain. Any ideas?

Better cut back some more
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

I measure and weigh everything.

Then most likely you have a thyroid issue, or retain water with the higher caloric intake due to higher glycogen stores.

I would suggest trying to eat 1400 cals or so for 5-6 weeks, you may gain the first week or 2. If after the 5-6 weeks you are not getting results make adjustments from there.
  • holly3585
    holly3585 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Eat 1400 calories for a full month and do not step on the scale. keep up your normal routine. i think you will be pleasantly surprised. Eating too little isn't fun OR good for you. Don't pay attention to fluctuations over a week- or even a MONTH if you know you are staying on track.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I read your profile and you state you have been skinny your entire life, even while having children. Am I correct to assume that perhaps throughout your adult life you have been likely eating below what you typically would to maintain weight? If so, then over the years your Resting Metabolic Rate has decline causing you to be full on very little. Another reason you may experience this problem is due to the medical issue of your glands.
  • berryjk
    berryjk Posts: 120
    Options
    my question would be...how much sodium do you consume? more sodium=more water retention. also never weigh yourself after you eat. first thing after relieving yourself in the morning on the same day of every week (let's say Monday) would give you the most accurate scale readings.
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    eat more loose the scale work out
  • mistigoodwin
    mistigoodwin Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    You might need to eat more. You will see a gain in the beginning, after a couple weeks you will be losing again, but your body might just need more to actually burn more. My sister was having a hard time losing so she increased her calories, did minimal workout and she started losing a steady 2lbs a week!

Good Luck!
  • _Mimi_
    _Mimi_ Posts: 233
    Options
    Don't really know enough about you, but this may be worth a read. It may fit you, it may not. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/core_march_8.htm

Here's a little bit from the article: Not only has her metabolism matched her intake, her body has maximized production of enzymes that are designed to help store any additional calories as fat. Anytime additional, immediately-unnecessary calories are consumed the enzymes are there and waiting to store the additional calories as fat. Her body is starved nutritionally and it has one thing on its mind - survival.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    Are you short?
    I have a similar thing, If I ate the recommended daily allowance for a woman I'd be the size of an elephant! I'm only 5ft and have come to the conclusion that since I am the size of a child that I can only ever eat child portions and have to eat a lot less than 'normal' height people.
    Height has nothing to do with how much you can eat. I'm 5'2" and eat around 2,000 calories and lose weight.

To OP: How long did you stay at 1200 cals? You will gain at first because your body is thinking "OMG, I better store all this for when she drops down to 800 again". My advice would be to try eating at 1200 for a few weeks/a month. Once your body learns you aren't depriving it, it will settle down and drop some weight.
  • TNTwedell
    TNTwedell Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Girl - Im in the same boat as you -- truthfully. If I eat more the 1000, I either gain or maintain. I tried the 1400-1800 (did that for like 4 months - just maintained)
    The only time the scale goes down is when I eat less then 800 calories. I still have a balanced diet (ish) of protein, fruit & veggie -- but its not a diet I want to maintain forever.