Expectations

Options

Replies

• Maribel
    Maribel Posts: 20
    Options
    Banks, you ROCK! Thank you. I plan to print this and post it on our fridge. I just experienced that high that comes from losing the water weight and being 100% motivated and then the huge slump that comes afterwards. Your article has made a huge difference. Thanks for the wonderful posts. You folks really do inspire us newbies. Warmly and In-solidarity, Maribel
  • breda
    breda Posts: 10
    Options
    thank u :drinker:
    i am at stage 5- but am determined to get there.... :grumble:
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • beep
    Options
    :love:
  • jenndf
    jenndf Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: Bump.
  • beep
    Options
    Bump-ity-doodah
  • jenndf
    Options
    Bump.:wink:
  • beep
    Options
    Bumpagin
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jenndf
    Options
    Bump :bigsmile:
  • jenndf
    Options
    Bump.
  • melissalynnlarue
    melissalynnlarue Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Okies, I'll join in the fray and bump, too! Great information! I'm pretty new here, so I'm soaking as much info as I can! What a great community this is!

Has anyone noticed the 'google ads' above many of the pages/forums... I'm looking at one right now that says "10 Skinny Rules - lose 9 lbs every 11 days by following these simple rules - fatloss4idiots.com'. Like, are you kidding me? What a crock! Everyone knows that super-rapid weight loss never stays off!!
  • mrflibbleisvryx
    mrflibbleisvryx Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    This is great info!

BUMP!!
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    i re read this post all the time. Bump for more folks that can use it!
  • banks1850
    Options
    yet another plug
  • Mags
    Mags Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hi Banks

I'm between Stage 2 and 3; the weight has stopped dropping off and i'm considerably more toned; even fitted nicely into a pair of new trousers that I bought 3 weeks before hand and well... they weren't going over my hips; I'm still motivated but my own history is getting to this stage, losing size, gaining muscle, but NOT continuing to lose weight

I have never calorie counted before, am pretty much eating what I ate before, though a healthier version, eat pretty much all of my exercise calories, some days a little under, about 1 day a week I go over but not by too much and exercise the next day usually

I actually have a feeling I am exercising too much, walking and bicycling as I'm just starting to get fit again. I can't do aerobics or running and when I do yoga or pilates the muslce gain is more as my body aclimatises quickly and the workout hits my muslce hugely for the effort I put in. I do top up on low calorie protein drinks to help the muscles as I find it keeps my hunger post work out at bay and I don't need a sugar fix so much, etc. I drink alcohol 3/4 nights a week and have no intention of cutting this out.. so please don't even suggest it as it wont happen :drinker:

For weight loss its a stage I can plateau at for more than 2/3 months.

A couple of questions

Is it detrimental to go over calories, even once a week if not hugely?

Someone told me that you must eat NOT LESS THAN 10 calories BELOW YOUR DAILY ALLOWANCE or you body goes into crisis and starts storing fat; how true is this?

Alcohol - empty calories for nutritional value - but not detrimental to weight loss - correct?

Its not that I intend on giving up but do you have any SPECIFIC tips so that the next few weeks prove productive and not stale mate?

Mags

60770.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • banks1850
    Options
    Hi Banks

I'm between Stage 2 and 3; the weight has stopped dropping off and i'm considerably more toned; even fitted nicely into a pair of new trousers that I bought 3 weeks before hand and well... they weren't going over my hips; I'm still motivated but my own history is getting to this stage, losing size, gaining muscle, but NOT continuing to lose weight

I have never calorie counted before, am pretty much eating what I ate before, though a healthier version, eat pretty much all of my exercise calories, some days a little under, about 1 day a week I go over but not by too much and exercise the next day usually

I actually have a feeling I am exercising too much, walking and bicycling as I'm just starting to get fit again. I can't do aerobics or running and when I do yoga or pilates the muslce gain is more as my body aclimatises quickly and the workout hits my muslce hugely for the effort I put in. I do top up on low calorie protein drinks to help the muscles as I find it keeps my hunger post work out at bay and I don't need a sugar fix so much, etc. I drink alcohol 3/4 nights a week and have no intention of cutting this out.. so please don't even suggest it as it wont happen :drinker:

For weight loss its a stage I can plateau at for more than 2/3 months.

A couple of questions

Is it detrimental to go over calories, even once a week if not hugely?

Someone told me that you must eat NOT LESS THAN 10 calories BELOW YOUR DAILY ALLOWANCE or you body goes into crisis and starts storing fat; how true is this?

Alcohol - empty calories for nutritional value - but not detrimental to weight loss - correct?

Its not that I intend on giving up but do you have any SPECIFIC tips so that the next few weeks prove productive and not stale mate?

Mags

I'll try to go over these as well as I can. Going over on calories won't kill you, as long as it's the exception and not the rule, and, as you said, it isn't by lots and lots of calories. I've never heard, nor would I put much creedance in that 10 calorie thing. The body doesn't use lines of demarkation, it uses "shades of gray". In other words, your body would gradually inch towards starvation mode instead of flipping the equivalent of a switch. At a certain point it becomes dangerous as the body starts to eat itself from the inside out, but at no specific point does your body switch from normal fat burning to lean tissue consumption (in fact, they both happen, to some degree, for just about everyone).
    As to alcohol, I'll admit, sometimes I do partake in a few too many pops. But alcohol is deadly to weight loss for 2 reasons, 1st is that alcohol supplants glycogen for energy, so basically, once you start drinkin, any undigested carbs in the body (and they can stick around for hours after you eat them) basically are immediately stored as fat as the body instead, consumes the alcohol for energy (while I have read a lot on this, I still would like some confirmation that this is true, SongByrd, if you read this, can you confirm?). The second is that alcohol increases appetite, is a depressant (I.E. slows the metabolism), and lowers inhibition, which means you are more likely to eat bad food, and less likely to burn it off.
    None of this means don't eat when you drink or never drink, it just means, moderation is better, and trying to keep weeks or, better yet, months between significant drinking is advisable (for all the reasons above as well as the obvious alcoholism that can result).
  • Mags
    Mags Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    yeah my diet is high in protein and low on carbs naturally; its just what i eat; i rarely eat carbs in evening anyway and because of the exercise don't think my metabolism is slowing down particularly

maybe i should drink during the day and see if it burns the excess fat that never budges :drinker:
  • beep
    Options
    :wink:
  • flcaoh
    flcaoh Posts: 444
    Options
    Great informative post! Bump :)