Best abs exercises for losing belly fat?

Options

Replies

• BetterCrazyThanLazy
    Options
    You will not bulk up unless you are lifting heavy.

ETA: ...with an intention to bluk up that is...
  • xXKatrinaXx
    Options
    ABS ARE MADE IN THE KITCHEN!!! no matter how many crunches you do , if you are not eating right you will not get abs...

it really is mostly food!!!
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options

You will not bulk up PERIOD if you aren't putting excess calories into the body. You can't build a house without bricks.
  • christimw
    christimw Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    ahh good to know! thanks! :)
  • BetterCrazyThanLazy
    Options

You will not bulk up PERIOD if you aren't putting excess calories into the body. You can't build a house without bricks.

That's what I meant but you said it better!
  • bet3120
    bet3120 Posts: 125
    Options
    185067_381674598568268_67111364_n.jpg

The abs are made 30% GYM 70% Diet
  • Scott277
    Options
    Haha by the way, the MensHealth article is just something I found to help me understand the basics (although most of which I already knew).

Im not saying its some sort of bible haha, id never buy it, ur right its the same BS every month lol and there is A LOT of BS in it.

That article has some good facts though and points people in the right direction of foods to consume. Following that alone wont get you a Six Pack though.

As you can see I currently dont have a Six Pack, and I am working on it, therefore have done a lot of research already so you have to basically get your macros/cals right and with that throw in some ab exercises into your workouts.

By the way, can you overtrain your abs? Whats the max amount of times you should train it?
  • Shadowsan
    Shadowsan Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Same amount as any muscle group. 2/3 times a week tops with the right intensity.
  • jenbenefit
    jenbenefit Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice going on here!!

1. No fat spot reduction is possible.
    2. Calorie deficit equals weight loss, period.
    3. 30 minutes a day of exercise is plenty.
    4 Cardio 3-4 days per week is plenty.
    5. Keep the sugar to a minimum.
    6. Be patient. You didn't put the weight on overnight, its not going to come off over night.

Good Luck!! I'm rooting for you!!!

thank you to EVERYONE, but quoting this as it's the most straightforward, and non-arsehole-y, motivating post that's worth remembering =) lots to think about from this!
  • jenbenefit
    Options
    hey everyone =)

I'm doing quite well with MFP so far, trying to do some form of cardio from just walking, to zumba or yoga, every day

And wondering what I can do to really focus on my abs and tummy region as this is where I seem to be storing most of my fat.

I've tried the 8minute abs video on youtube which seems good but any advice would be really appreciated.

Please bear in mind I'm still a beginner and might not understand any technical terms or names of exercises just yet!

Thanks in advance x

Just wanted to let you know that I feel your pain! My tummy's always present and it's annoying. Best of luck to you on your journey and lets hope both of our tummies decide to shrink more in the process. :)

good luck to you too love =)
  • jenbenefit
    Options
    You can't really "spot reduce" an area, but I have been doing a lot of circuit training, core strengthening, planks 30 sec intervals x 5-10 3xs/wk, and HIIT cardio and have had great results. I also make sure to really push myself at the gym twice a week, kicking up the circuit training, doubling my circuits on those days. I also try to incorporate more protein into my diet and limit sugar/processed carb intake on protein days when I lift (works for me, but everyone has different views on carbs and everyone's body responds differently) I've lost about 13 inches total on my waist, 12 inches on my hips and about 10 around my chest, and 45ish pounds.. so I guess I'm doing something right :) Feel free to add me if you like. I'm on everyday and try to encourage/motivate as much as I can :)

Good luck to you on your journey!

amazing weight/inch loss well done you =D
  • jenbenefit
    Options
    So much BS in this thread.

Here is an awesome article on general eating towards a healthy diet, losing fat and gaining sixpackabs :)

http://www.menshealth.com/weight-loss/weight-loss-abs-diet-and-six-pack-abs?fullpage=true

That is it! That is where I started reading! Awesome!

quoting this so i remember to read it later on, thanks again everyone for the info and good luck to you all
  • RKAY89
    Options
    This is an EXCELLENT thread, thank you for asking about it and thank you to everyone who replied! Brilliant..

RE: The sugar intake though.. how much should you intake in a day? All I eat is clean sugar, from fruits etc, but there is a LOT of sugar in fruit! And I'm worried I'm sh1tting on my progress that I've made with the rest of my clean eating and my working out.. diet = 1600 cals (net), 160g carb, 50g fat, 130g protein

• RKAY89
    Options
    P.S. does it matter how late you eat at night time? Sometimes my last snack is delayed til like 10pm if I get held up in the day.. last snack usually consists of nuts and a yoghurt
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    I don't work my ab's but have a full six pack. How does that work chaps? Ab's aren't made in the gym. Defo in the kitchen! :wink:
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    P.S. does it matter how late you eat at night time? Sometimes my last snack is delayed til like 10pm if I get held up in the day.. last snack usually consists of nuts and a yoghurt

If this is within your total calorie and macro allowance, it doesn't matter when you eat it.

I eat probably 70% of my calories after 6pm.
  • Heitor70
    Heitor70 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Very interesting trend, thanks to everyone!
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    ok, so i don't work on my abs almost ever. i hate lying on the floor. i do work my legs and hips and arms and chest and i can definitely say that you can spot reduce areas by working those muscles and watching your diet. try jillian michaels 6 week 6 pack or the 30 day shred. You will definitely see a difference!
  • Chuckempire
    Options
    ABS ARE MADE IN THE KITCHEN!!! no matter how many crunches you do , if you are not eating right you will not get abs...

it really is mostly food!!!

I agree.

Good AB exercises will help build a stronger core as well.
    My fav are:
    Hanging Leg raises
    Decline situps (with weights)
    ab coaster
    Captains Chair

I usualy do one or two exercises until failure then rest 15 seconds (partial recovery) then another set or two.
  • mattack
    mattack Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I've said this before and I'll say it again.....
    ab exercises are pointless. Other exercises that work your CORE are great, core/stabilizer mucles are used doing other exercises (free weights)....

You can't spot reduce, though I'm sure you wanted to hear otherwise. belly fat is usually the last thing to go, unfortunately.

Amen