Anyone want to do the alternate day diet with me?

Options
124»

Replies

• LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I sure hope you're eating an obscene amount of calories on the non-fasting days; otherwise, what you're doing is called starving yourself, m'dear.
  • draftyaspen
    Options
    I'm not going to bash the diet or whatever, but some people on here are in their 30's, 40's and 50's and they are acting so defensive and immature. Some people really need to grow up
  • AimeeCu
    Options
    I can not do fasting as I am a hypoglycemic but I am more than happy to offer support!!
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    It sounds interesting, however, I have a hard time when I don't eat enough. I think if I did this I would have to keep my down days to 1000 cals (not 500 or none) and then up days would be 1600 or more. Plus, I do go to the gym often, so I'd have to be sure to only workout on up days.

I might try this for a week or 2....
  • mummytobeslim
    mummytobeslim Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to add that I saw a really interesting Horizon programme recently called 'Eat, Fast and Live Longer'. I think it's still available on BBC iplayer. It is well worth a look if you are interested in this kind of diet. Apparently there is growing research to suggest that fasting can be beneficial to health in the long term providing you are healthy to begin with.

It seems that it lowers various things in your body but in particular a hormone called Insulin-like growth factor (I think that's right) which can help to prevent various cancers, dementia,diabetes. The programme makers emphasize that there is still a lot of research to do in humans though! Still some bits were fascinating, for example they found that people who had lived through the great depression where food was scarce had a longer average lifespan (6 years longer) than the previous norm!

They liken the effect of the insulin-like growth factor (IGF) to a car with the accelerator down where your body/car is in 'go-go' mode. The theory is that intermittant fasting causes production of IGF to decrease dramatically which then causes your body/car to take it's foot of the accelerator so to speak and go into repair mode instead. This is where scientists think the benefits come in with less disease etc. Anyway, it's good to know people are doing studies on this stuff so some years down the line we should have a better idea of the effects in humans.
    I will take a lookat the programme
  • phoebeleb
    phoebeleb Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    bump
  • allyjoy83
    allyjoy83 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    @maidofstone - add me, I'll be supportive of your goals. I will not be doing the alternate day diet b/c I have my eating habits that work for me.

As for the fasting-eat every day fray: Do what works for you. If you have a super high metabolism, run 5 miles a day and lift cars for fun, yeah, you need a ton of calories every day. If you sit all day at work, and the most strenuous exercise is typing, maybe missing a meal or two won't hurt you (as long as you don't turn into Godzilla when you're hungry). If you're somewhere in the middle, or have medical conditions, adjust your eating style accordingly. I LOVE food. More importantly, I love GOOD food (READ: tastes good). I do intermittent fasting because sometimes it just feels right. I know how I gained weight, and I know what is working for me now to lose the weight I've gained, but it doesn't make sense to me to tell anyone on the internet what they should be doing because it works for me.

No, not eating everyday does not mean you have an eating disorder of any kind. For those of us who live in countries where food is plentiful and affordable, not eating is an option. There are people who don't have that choice. First world problems. ::steps off soapbox::
  • louffisher
    louffisher Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    first 6 days and lost 5 pounds!

easy to manage and only a couple of hunger pangs.

husband finds it manageable too and we have both found we dont eat too much on our up days. I worked out that if i averaged my calorie intake over the 6 days it worked out 1300 a day!
  • mummytobeslim
    mummytobeslim Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    fantastic well done to you .How many cals were you consuming on a down day would be great to see some menu plans maybe a thread with daily meal plans to share and get support :)
  • gingameister
    gingameister Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm diing Intermitant Fasting at the mo, four weeks into it. Add me if you think I can be of any help to you! 8-)
    Georgy
  • masihangelina
    masihangelina Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes i would like to join...my first day today
  • LiLi914
    LiLi914 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Just started this yesterday. After much continuous debate and conversation with a co-worker who lost 80 pounds. I'm willing to try it since nothing else has kept me motivated. Good luck to everyone and I hope we can motivate on another.

I can say that keeping a journal has been nice. The DD yesterday wasn't that hard, but in two weeks I might not be so optimistic. Haha.

I intend to weigh in on March 1st. That will be an UD and my two week mark.

Again, good luck to everyone. Add me if you'd like. :-)
  • 1CheakyC
    1CheakyC Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm doing the 5:2 fast diet method and lost 11.2 lbs since jan.
    I normally struggle to lose weight cos I'm on a lot of pain meds but this diet is really working for me.
    Check out the 5:2 Fasting diet group on here. It not quite ADF but some good reading on there.
    FR COMING UR WAY :drinker:
  • 366to266
    366to266 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Seems to me that what the OP is suggesting is something like this:

One is allowed 105,000 calories in a week, which is 1,500 a day.

Instead of eating 1,500 a day, every other day one eats only 500, and every other day one can then eat 2,000.

Basically, it's just saving up calories on the down days to "spend" on the up days.

Sounds like a good plan for people who have to eat out a lot in restaurants etc.

Like someone said upthread, I cannot do it because I'm hypoglycaemic, too, but maybe I could do 1,000 alternating with 2,200 thus averaging 1600 a day?
  • skinnycatrina
    skinnycatrina Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yes, i have just started ... I have quite a bit too lose (25lbs). And im on day 4, that is my second fast day ... And im already over in cals ... Ug! I am just so hungry .... How have your down days been?
  • BeverlyC26
    Options
    Fasting isn't a diet - it's definitely a lifestyle choice. It's worked for me but it's not for everyone. I don't know why people hate on fasting! Right now I'm doing 3 days of 500 calories and 4 days of eating WHATEVER I want. And yes it works. I'm losing weight each week. :)
  • BeverlyC26
    Options
    It can be tough - especially if you don't stay hydrated. I think that's the biggest thing you gotta remember is: drink, drink, drink. And try to get the most out of your calories. Like fruits, vegetables, etcetera. Good luck to you! Just think - tomorrow you can eat normal!