What was your wake-up call?

Options

Replies

• AlexandraLynch
    Options
    I knew I wanted to do something for some time, but wasn't sure how to go about it. I lurked on several blogs that have subgroups of active people, and started to do yoga and feel much better.

I knew that I couldn't do it unless my husband, who started at 375 pounds to my 298, was doing it too. We discussed it a while, and then we just decided to do it! And we lost 20 pounds in two months. He started not having to use his inhaler constantly, and discovered he could fit in booths at restaurants again, and fit into the new jeans we had bought him recently. I felt better, and my clothes began to fit better.

I discovered MFP, and decided to use this to track my calories more closely, since being female and 40 it's going to be harder for me to do. And I really like it! So here I am, and he'll be here soon too.

The little things? Not being able to fold into a pose because my fat's in the way. The pain levels in my arthritic feet and ankles. Bumping into things. Getting told, "I like you, but I don't think fat chicks are cute." This may help my fibro pain, too.
  • Mandeez77
    Mandeez77 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I did the math. I lost weight once and since gaining it back I've been saying I did it a few years ago; I can do it again. Then I realized I had been saying it for ten years. I got so disgusted with myself I shut up and started doing instead.
  • honey_bee_keysha
    honey_bee_keysha Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    When I saw a picture of me and a couple of friends taken at a football game, I was shocked and appalled to notice that I had a double chin! I realized it was time for a change.
  • lolobi1
    Options
    My boo telling me he thought my belly y was cute and squidgy! After burying his body in the loft I joined this site!! lol
  • babymine55
    babymine55 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hmm..wake up call?? I had a few...

Back in 2009, I was the heaviest I'd ever been. Tipping the scales at just over 370 (I'm 5'6", yikes!). When you're super obese, you become almost inhuman to the public around you. Adults and children alike, would stare. Kids in my children's class would whisper and giggle. I could no longer fit in most booths and seats in restraunts. I couldn't sit up in my own bed...there was just too much stomach in my way.

It was decision time!! Get to living, or plan my own funeral so my husband didn't have to for me.

I'm not there yet, I have about 60 pounds till I hit my ultimate goal, but, there have been so many AWESOME triumphant moments along the way.

I'm so incredibly thankful for so many positive motivators here within the MFP community. It's all or nothing baby!!!!! :D
  • AliasSha
    AliasSha Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I was having heart palpitations and got scared. Well, when I lost some weight they stopped, so I am going to keep on going so I don't get all the illnesses that run in my family.
  • sydnisd183
    sydnisd183 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    pictures of me at my sisters wedding, and I started getting those creases of back fat near the waist so the skin made contact with itself when I moved just right..... very uncomfortable on a hot day, and I had always prided myself on my lack of back fat

this, i never had to deal with back fat..............well anyway it's super hot out here in Houston. I was walking to my car and could feel the back fat rolls meshing together. i kept bending to one side thinking "oh well maybe it's the way i'm walking???" :noway:

anyway i got disgusted then and decided to do something about it. so i'm here. today it's still hot (heat index of 108 right now) but i'm going to run my 5k after work which reminds me i need to drink some more water
  • Babymomakell
    Babymomakell Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I was always thin and in shape growing up. I had my daughter young (at age 21) and gained a lot of weight, and have had horrible back problems and complications as a result of my pregnancy and her birth.... I gained SO much weight, and I was depressed and used my back problems and pain as an excuse.... until I caught my boyfriend of three years cheating on me with every woman he could get his hands on, and they were all amazingly skinny and beautiful.... something just snapped in me, all the wasted crying over him and I took a long look in the mirror and decided that enough was enough.

I since have made tremendous life changes, lost 30lbs (working towards more loss), quit my job that was contributing to my misery and was leading me no-where, and went back to college full-time....

Honestly... we struggle, we don't have a lot of money now that I am not working, but we make do on savings and my school loans.... and I can say that I am the HAPPIEST that I have EVER been!!!!!!!!!
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    In June I went to a kid's pool with my little nephews just because I was tired of always sitting on the sidelines and there were other fat people there. I didn't realize my step-mother would be taking pictures and posting them on FACEBOOK and there I was, looking like a beached whale. I went to Vegas for work later that week, ate whatever I wanted and started when I got back. 25lbs down since then and going strong. Next summer, a bathing suit will be a whole different ballgame for me!
  • catholic_chick
    Options
    I'd been telling myself that I was trying to lose weight, but not really doing it "because I didn't have the time" to exercise. In reading a blog, I discovered a book called Make Shi(f)t Happen and decided that I needed to make some shifts in my life. I started riding my bike early in the morning before kids and hubby get up, I make a lunch instead of take out and I have a supportive husband. Now I am down 26 pounds - not trying to lose more, but not trying not to either. If I keep doing what I am doing, I will be healthy and my weight will be where it is supposed to be.
  • m_shuman
    Options
    One Friday night I was home alone (DH and the kids were at my MIL's house.) I was sitting on the couch watching Burlesque eating a piece of chocolate lovin' spoon cake and I started thinking......wow my body used to look like those girls and it hit me that if I continued to eat the chocolate cake I was only going to gain more weight and if I put it in the trash, walked away and started going to the gym I could look like that again. So I went to the Y the next day and signed up. That was almost a year ago, fast forward to today and I have lost 20 LBs and regained my love for exercise and being physically fit. I also have been certified to work in the fitness field as a group exercise instructor and a spin instructor. Working at the Y will be my everyday reminder of how I want to live my life. Healthy and fit!
  • rmf626
    Options
    For me pictures have always been difficult. I would fanatically untag pics of me in Facebook because I didn't want people to really see how big I had gotten (especially the old high school and college friends). In May I had to have my gall bladder out and the lab tests to determine what was wrong showed that I was prediabetic and that my cholesterol was high. I don't want to take Rx drugs...so I'm here. And of course, I feel sluggish all the time and hate looking in the mirror. Time to change!
  • sweetiebrittie
    sweetiebrittie Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I was overweight all my life but I had gotten cancer when I was 14, I lost some weight from that but then gained it all back and then some. I went to a cancer convention in 2011 and heard Kris Carr talking about cancer and how nutrition can be powerful medicine and she was living with an inoperable tumor. I was inspired. Then I saw my doctor and he told me my cholesterol was too high and he was going to put me back on Zocor and give me a nutritionist. I begged him to give me 3 months to lower it and lose weight.

I followed Kris Carr's diet cleanse and lifestyle and lost 37 pounds in 3 months. I learned about nutrition and cut out processed food. I was determined never to get cancer again. I am determined to claim my health back.
  • agriffiths73
    agriffiths73 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    You know what, I missed a lot of signs, being referred to as the big guy, so I'm over 6 ft, have broad shoulders etc but was too heavy....

Struggling to put shoes and socks on, nearly constant lower back pain, out of breath in no time - then my son arrived!

Man, what a wake up call that was, and is. He's amazing, without doubt the best ever thing to have come into my life and it was the terrifying thought of not being around for him, not being able to spend time messing about, being out of breath etc.

So, things had to change, and they are. I've lost over a stone in 6 weeks, and it's still coming down. I can bend over with ease, the back pain hasn't been around for a while now, and I can move about better. i can fit into my old suits again, run about without having to stop after a few seconds, and the bowel problems that have been dogging me for years seem to have all but gone too.

We have all had many attempts at this before, but for me, I can't let this go now - my life has real focus now, and I'm going to make it count.
  • Frozen300
    Frozen300 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Now that I'm in my 40's, I've realized that losing the weight is only going to get tougher as I age, especially if I continue with my 5lbs a year that I was averaging. My belly was getting larger and larger and it's goddamn embarressing. 20 more lbs by Christmas, BOOYA!!
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    For me it just kept creeping up year after year even though I lifted and ran (marathons and ultra marathons), my gosh, I couldn't figure out what was wrong with me. The rest of my story is on bobbies fitness blog but the bottom line is our society has an over abundance of food. I was not a pig, not a mindless eater, not a snacker, not a binger, didnt' stuff myself, it just didn't make sense. Portion sizes are designed for 6' tall men. I'm a 5' tall female. duh! Anyway I finally achieved my dream at age 50 last year.

Oh yeah and one final incident for me. At age 45 I retired from my high tech job and went through the police academy. I worked really hard to stay fit and even though I was over weight my years of running and lifting made me strong, although I didn't look the athlete I could run circles around the young guys in class. I was really proud after I was hired as a deputy (I work part time as a volunteer) but then to my horror I kept gaining weight! I had to buy bigger uniform pants. What the heck? Finally when we were taking a guy to jail he sat in the back of the patrol car calling me a fat *kitten* the whole time. That was the last straw! I just started eating less. Cut my portions in half and no eating after 7pm. After all the diets I've done for 15 years, it just comes down to eat less, move more (although I had the move part down).
  • jypsyjulia
    jypsyjulia Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've been overweight my whole life but have never had any health issues. I went to the doctor in August and my blood pressure was 138/20. That is 2 points away from being high blood pressure, which is the "silent killer". I knew then that something had to change immediately.
  • Bellacuore
    Bellacuore Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I had a breast reduction and it took me near 6 months to recover from it, yes 6 months....3 of those months I could not bathe myself and for the 1st month I could not take care of my own...hygienic needs...I can't even say the words as even now it's humiliating. I know my weight and lack of physical activity before surgery was a huge reason for my recovery being what it was, the rest was my complete lack of self worth.
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    1fa6xi.jpg
    That picture was my slap-in-the-face. I usually have a very pointy jaw, sharp jaw-line, and this picture nearly made me break down and cry. This was this past New Years Eve, 2011.
  • lrivera85
    lrivera85 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I was 25 tired of being out of shape. I couldn't sleep, didn't fit into clothes or shoes that I liked. Two things in one week were my triggers. 1. I have two little girls they both drew a family picture and I was a circle with arms, :laugh: , I can laugh now but for some reason it got to me then. I asked them why am I a circle they said because I was the fattest in the family:noway: . 2. That weekend I was going out so i decided to go shopping, 2XL no longer fit me. That was it for me. That was a year and a half ago and I don't regret starting this journey, one of best things I have done in life.