Does Anyone Here Ever Eat For Pleasure?

Options

Replies

• sarah3333
    sarah3333 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Yes, and I have pretty much driven myself insane, however I have lost the weight and kept it off for 5 years. Not sure which is better...Sane & fat or nutty & fit???
  • AlexandraLynch
    Options
    Of course. But that doesn't include eating so much my belly hurts, or eating food that makes me feel bad.

I can eat whatever I want. I can't eat huge quantities of some things, and other things I don't want at all nowadays. Turns out I can pretty much live without candy, but not without ice cream. So I have little amounts of ice cream, and don't buy candy unless I need the concentrated calorie punch to confuse my metabolism.

I've learned to trust myself, and giving myself good food in appropriate amounts is love.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I don't eat foods I don't enjoy unless I am being a good example to the kids. My food is tasty and satisfying and I still make it fit into my daily allowance.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I eat for pleasure but I always log the calories. Recently I made a salted caramel sundae with nonfat ice cream, so it was under 300 calories and I fit it into my calorie allotment for the day. (Compared to a "monster" salted caramel milkshake at Red Robin for 800+ calories.) Counting calories doesn't mean you have to give up delicious things. You just have to eat them in amounts that fit into your intended daily intake.
  • Feisty_Red
    Feisty_Red Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    honestly..No..and I wish it was different :sad: ...being on a almost 5 month stall.. it's making it even worse.. One day..I hope!
  • kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I'm eating a couple of big chicken tacos for dinner tonight, and I will have my glass of wine later. Every moment will be pleasurable, and I do it every day.
  • GrammyPammy145
    GrammyPammy145 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    When I've been good all week, I eat a meal of anything I want. I am a devoted Foodie and could never live without all the tastes and textures. So I splurge.. but not on sugar or desserts so much anymore. I've totally detoxed from my sugar addiction and I am not going back! I say enjoy food and life.. just in moderation.
  • TiDinzeo
    Options
    I eat whatever I want as long as I keep within my calorie goal. Other than that, the only number I really pay attention to is my protein as I can often be pretty short.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I eat for pleasure every day. Most of my meals are very much "pleasure based". My thoughts on what is yummy has changed.
  • vbrent07
    Options
    Yes, I love food! I love to cook so I try to make healthy foods that are delicious too! Occasionally I still have a pizza, make a lasagna, or something because I still like to treat myself but I do it in moderation.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I don't 'worry' about it. I just occasionally make room for more pleasurable foods in my diet. Kind of like eating within my means, so to speak.
    Today I had a <gasp> fried tenderloin that I wouldn't have eaten a week ago. I gave into my husband (who btw has lost nearly 40lbs along with me), who has been craving one for weeks. I burned over 700 calories on a bike ride today so I know it's not an issue. Next week I may have a snickers blizzard, but if I do it wont be a large one and I'll do the same, make room for it by exercising a bit more. No, I don't sabotage every workout with a binge so don't even go there people. lol
    I guess what I'm trying to say is that to maintain weightloss you have to make it a lifestyle change and not a restrictive diet. If you don't eat some of things you used to eat, or crave, you will gain the weight back whenever you stop your 'diet'.
    Not everyone you see standing in line at Dairy Queen is fat. Yeah, most are but some of those skinny people that you see eating ice cream have worked their butts off to eat it! If they haven't, well.. I hate them. lol
    It's all about moderation, keep moving, eat MOSTLY healthy stuff. Treat yourself once in a while so you don't feel deprived!
    You can have treats and stay healthy.
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I think that for too long i was eating for pleasure and now i really need to find pleasure in the different foods i should be eating or in exercise etc anywhere but food. If that makes any sense. I will eat a cake or icecream not because i'm hungry and need filling up but because i find it pleasurable to do so. Really i think i need to think more of food as something to keep my body going and less about it being pleasurable to eat. The months i've been trying to lose weight and i still like fried chicken, fish and chips, chocolate etc. I stil don't find that stuff gross and i have a feeling i'll always like it. l've to stop eating for pleasure and start eating because it's good for my body.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I eat for pleasure. I don't worry about calories - I've stopped counting calories, because I found that it did take some of the pleasure out of eating. I am not comfortable with my food being reduced to numbers. But I am careful what I eat, because I have food sensitivities, and I don't like to be in pain. And I try not to overeat, because overeating makes me uncomfortable.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    My taste buds like what I eat. I have noticed I have a much broader appreciation for food.

Yes I am extremely conscious of what I eat now, but I do savor the flavors I never really did before.

Never liked mushrooms, tomato's, yogurt, nuts and other things but they have been added to my palate repertoire.

Corn is sweeter, an apple is tastier... I seem to taste food better now that my mouth is not coated/ shellacked with fat and grease.
    I agree! I was amazed one day when I realized just how sweet carrots are!
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I want your no pudge brownie recipe please! Sounds good :)

It's actually just on the box but I make it with plain nonfat greek yogurt instead of regular vanilla yogurt... just have to add vanilla extract.

2 Tbsp (32g) No Pudge Brownie Mix
    1 Tbsp nonfat plain Greek yogurt
    1/8 tsp vanilla extract
    Stir until smooth and microwave for 1 minute. You can let it cool if you don't like to burn your tongue on the spoon like me. lol
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I'm a foodie. I don't eat ANYTHING just to fill myself up. Everything I eat tastes delicious. I just eat a little less of it now. What's the point otherwise??

THIS ^^ I do not eat 'plain food' I never have and I'm not going to start now. I cook, I love to cook and I love good food - tasty and textured. I didn't get fat from eating crap - just from eating too much of the good stuff, so now I just eat less ;)
    Are there people who lost the weight (and maintained the loss) by eating stuff they didn't like because it's "healthy"?

Not me. I eat normal food. I will eat things that ARE healthy because they taste good but I will not eat anything ONLY because it's healthy.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    ALWAYS!!!!!
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I enjoy the foods I eat. If I didn't, I'd find different foods to eat.
  • carriempls
    carriempls Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I only eat food I enjoy. It took me several years of small changes over time to get to a pretty healthy diet but I these days I never eat anything I don’t like and I definitely eat for pleasure. I still have to limit sweets and such, but that doesn’t mean I don’t love the healthy stuff also.

Keep at it and your tastes will change over time. I promise.

When I do find myself eating junk or stuff that’s not so healthy I find it’s truly not pleasurable; while I might get a small amount of comfort, it’s not really pleasure. And the guilt afterwards makes it all worse. I’m still trying to learn how not to binge. I have good days and bad days, good months and bad weeks. But my diet is quite healthy the majority of the time.
  • maryjay51
    Options
    ive learned to eat some of the things i used to indulge in , in moderation when i have a craving for it. i dont gorge myself endlessly any more. ive also done a great deal of research on recipes to make things i do like and have modified some of my favorite foods so i can still have them .. for instance , i had a club salad today instead of a club sandwich that was saturated in mayo .. love chicken fingers. make my own and bake them with spray olive oil ..use franks hot sauce and my own blue cheese crumbled dressing that is lower in fat as opposed to deep fried with butter hot sauce and high fat content bleu cheese dressing.. takes a bit of work and change of habit to get to this point.. if im doing good i enjoy cake or ice cream as a great treat and bonus for myself ..theres no need to deprive yourself and think that food is no good if it cant be the way it used to be