Starting a 30 Day Juice Fast 09/05/2012! Support needed!

Options
I am excited to start a 30 day juice fast tomorrow with my husband. We have studied up on it and are well prepared but it would be great to have support from others who are doing it also, or get support from those who have completed a fast. I have already stopped drinking soda, and have been limiting my food intake to what is necessary, so my body is getting prepared for the fast. I have been looking at recipes too, but I would love to hear if any of you have any favorites! I will keep updating with my progress :) Feel free to join in at any time if you feel like resetting your body!!!

I weigh 232 lbs and am looking to get down to 160 at some point. My goal for this 30 day fast is to get down to 190. I may continue to 60 days depending on how I feel.

I am also going to do body wrapping it It Works Body Applications to keep my skin nice and tight and hopefully toned :) I don't want any saggy skin!!!

I also am going to try to drink 120-160oz of water each day... we will see!

Thanks for all the motivation and support. :happy:

Replies

• Platano55
    Platano55 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Good luck, I am interested in seeing how this works and how long until the cravings subside. Also what kind of juices are you using?
  • gottaloveit7771
    Options
    :happy:
  • gottaloveit7771
    Options
    Good luck, I am interested in seeing how this works and how long until the cravings subside. Also what kind of juices are you using?

I hear that the first 14 days are pretty difficult, but after that you are supposed to feel pretty great.

I am going to use all fresh veggies and fruits. I am going to juice them myself in my jack lelanne juicer :) I am going to use the mean green recipe the most I think.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Report back. If you don't end up sick and in the hospital. And then check back in six months after you've gained back everything you lost...
  • gottaloveit7771
    Options
    Report back. If you don't end up sick and in the hospital. And then check back in six months after you've gained back everything you lost...

You are so silly :) Thanks for your kind words!
  • hellokitty41489
    Options
    So...you're trying to lose 42lbs in 30 days? I don't mean to sound awful but that just sounds stupid to me. If you didn't put 42lbs on in 30 days (and I'm guessing probably not) I don't think you can expect it to come off that fast. I kind of agree with the person who mentioned gaining it back; I can for sure see how that would happen once you go back to eating real food and rapidly at that. Is there a reason you don't want to lose at a more "normal" rate like 1-2 lbs a week where it would be easier to keep off?
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    You do realize that to have a 42 lb fat loss in 30 days, you would have to have a net calorie deficit of 4900 calories PER day, right? With your estimated BMR, the most fat loss you could possibly achieve in a month is probably 20 lbs, and that would be by eating nothing every single day (and drinking no calories, too). It's just not possible or healthy.

Juice also can be fairly high in calories, starting at about 40 calories per cup for straight veggie to 110 per cup for most fruit juices. If that's truly all you are consuming a day, I could see you easily taking in 1000+ calories per day in juice calories. If you want to do a juice fast for "health" reasons or because you think it will make you feel more energized, etc, etc, then go into it with open eyes and understanding that it's NOT going to be a quick path to weight loss.
  • Eerinelizz
    Eerinelizz Posts: 114 Member
    Options

You are so silly :) Thanks for your kind words!

Lol! You're a very nice person to respond so graciously to these words of encouragement!
    I also just started a juice reboot. I actually enjoy the mean green, and just about anything with carrots! Im not sure how you could end up sick from ingesting so many incredibly healthy foods (unless you don't ingest enough, maybe) and I also believe that after a reboot, you will tend to crave raw foods over the fattening processed foods that would result in gaining it all back. My husband, who is also doing the reboot with me, actually spoke with a nutritionist who felt this was a good idea. Neither my husband or I have a lot of weight to lose, so we are going into this process with the idea of getting healthy, introducing ourselves to foods we may not eat enough of, and if we lose some weight, good for us!
  • gottaloveit7771
    Options
    Lol! You're a very nice person to respond so graciously to these words of encouragement!
    I also just started a juice reboot. I actually enjoy the mean green, and just about anything with carrots! Im not sure how you could end up sick from ingesting so many incredibly healthy foods (unless you don't ingest enough, maybe) and I also believe that after a reboot, you will tend to crave raw foods over the fattening processed foods that would result in gaining it all back. My husband, who is also doing the reboot with me, actually spoke with a nutritionist who felt this was a good idea. Neither my husband or I have a lot of weight to lose, so we are going into this process with the idea of getting healthy, introducing ourselves to foods we may not eat enough of, and if we lose some weight, good for us!

I agree you are eating so healthy I can't imagine how it wouldn't be beneficial! I know there are so many negative people on here that want people to do things the way they are so I don't let them get to me. I hope you do well with your reboot! It's nice that your husband is going to do it with you :) when do you start? I am on day 2 and feel pretty good over all. I have a feeling the next few days are not going to be as forgiving though. Best of luck, and keep me updated.
  • gottaloveit7771
    Options
    You do realize that to have a 42 lb fat loss in 30 days, you would have to have a net calorie deficit of 4900 calories PER day, right? With your estimated BMR, the most fat loss you could possibly achieve in a month is probably 20 lbs, and that would be by eating nothing every single day (and drinking no calories, too). It's just not possible or healthy.

Juice also can be fairly high in calories, starting at about 40 calories per cup for straight veggie to 110 per cup for most fruit juices. If that's truly all you are consuming a day, I could see you easily taking in 1000+ calories per day in juice calories. If you want to do a juice fast for "health" reasons or because you think it will make you feel more energized, etc, etc, then go into it with open eyes and understanding that it's NOT going to be a quick path to weight loss.

I appreciate your response, and while I am sure my decision doesn't make since to you, I know the reasons why I am doing it. Yes I want to lose 42 lbs in 30 days. I have 40% water weight right now so I wouldn't mind getting that number down too. And I am glad you brought up the point that I will be consuming so many calories, now no one can say I am starving myself! I am doing this to get more energy, relieve depression, detoxify my body, and of course lose weight. I am not doing the normal way of weight loss because I have failed many times trying to diet and exercise. My body needs a reset or "reboot" as Joe would say in order to get off all my food addictions I have. Like I said I have many reasons for doing this. What I need is a little encouragement, so thanks for the lack thereof. I wish you well with your fitness journey, as it's obviously very different then mine.

By the way to everyone, I feel good for being on day two! I have been drinking about 50oz of juice a day and about 85-120 oz of water a day. I have been doing 70% veggies and 30% fruit.
  • marybell82
    marybell82 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I am excited to start a 30 day juice fast tomorrow with my husband. We have studied up on it and are well prepared but it would be great to have support from others who are doing it also, or get support from those who have completed a fast. I have already stopped drinking soda, and have been limiting my food intake to what is necessary, so my body is getting prepared for the fast. I have been looking at recipes too, but I would love to hear if any of you have any favorites! I will keep updating with my progress :) Feel free to join in at any time if you feel like resetting your body!!!

I weigh 232 lbs and am looking to get down to 160 at some point. My goal for this 30 day fast is to get down to 190. I may continue to 60 days depending on how I feel.

I am also going to do body wrapping it It Works Body Applications to keep my skin nice and tight and hopefully toned :) I don't want any saggy skin!!!

check out this movie for free on HULU.com Fat sick and nearly dead, if that movie doesnt motivate you to do it.. then idk? i personally love to chew my food and find it hard to just focus on juice...

Try it for the first week and see how it makes you fee.. after your first week, try it for another.

GOOD LUCK!
  • Kanohane
    Kanohane Posts: 112 Member
    Options

Seems noone here has done much research on the topic...I'm all for juice fasting! I'm currently aiming for 30lbs in 1 month :)
    McDonald's PUTS YOU IN THE ER FASTER AND MORE LIKELY THAN JUICING AND YOU ONLY GAIN BACK IF YOU GO BACK TO BAD EATING
  • gottaloveit7771
    Options

check out this movie for free on HULU.com Fat sick and nearly dead, if that movie doesnt motivate you to do it.. then idk? i personally love to chew my food and find it hard to just focus on juice...

Try it for the first week and see how it makes you fee.. after your first week, try it for another.

GOOD LUCK!

I have seen it twice! I love that movie :) I hear there is another great one to watch called "forks over knives". I wanna see it :) thanks for the support!!
  • cortexx
    Options
    why drink your calories when you can eat them?
  • debbiemaekershaw
    Options
    Good for you! Don't listen to the Na-sayers! 7 Months ago (Feb 6th) I started a 15 day "Reboot" after watching Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead with my partner - Then we watched "Forks Over Knives" - I went out the next day and bought a juicer. Here's what I have accompilshed so far! I'm 57 years YOUNG! I went from 170 - 140 size 16 - 6, Quit Smoking, Gave Up Alochol, Gave Up Meat, Dairy, Processed foods, Eggs. Just this past week I joined Planet Fitness, and became a subscriber to MyFitnessPal.com and am now tracking what I'm eating.

What was suppose to be a 15 day Reboot - for me became a new way of life - I did Juice 100% of the time for 33 days and now I juice 2 x a day - for morning I love to make a Life Blood which is about 6 carrots, 1 large beet, 1 red bell pepper, 1 or 2 oranges -This makes enough for my partner and myself. For lunch I make myself 32 oz of Mean Green - 1 head of celery, 1 cucumber, 2 to 3 handfuls of spinach or 6 stocks of Kale (which ever I happen to have), 1 or maybe 2 Granny smith apples (depends on my desire for sweentess), about an 1" of ginger and 1/2 of a lemon. I also have a veggy wrap at lunch. Then for dinner I have plant based foods.

I will say, that now that I have joined myfittnesspal.com I'v just tracked my food and exercise intake for the last week, at this rate I am just maintaining with what I'm eating. So, I need to make some modifications which I am working on.

I have never felt better in my life! I started a blog back in february to track my progress, you are welcome to check it out and join in my conversation - I'm updating it now about 1 or 2times a month - when I started I tried to update it every day - that got to be a bit of a challenge - here is the link http://FreshBeginningsWithJuicing.blogspot.com (don't put in www) - You will be successful, and I'm here to tell you that when I started my journey, I/we were so stoked about doing it that just the idea that we were doing something good for our bodies outweighed any negative issues we might have encountered (which were minimal).

Best of luck and I'll keep my eye on your progress and root for you all the way! I also have a facebook page for my juicing ( http://www.facebook.com/FreshBeginningsWithJuicing?ref=hl# ) I put that up because I come across so many good things, that it makes it easy to share and keep track when I find good stuff!..
  • dnceluv
    dnceluv Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Good luck girlie! You can totally do this!
  • jazee11
    jazee11 Posts: 321
    Options
    I hope you keep us posted with the play by play.

I have a juicer daily but I have never done fasting.

Here are some ideas you may have already tried. I tend to go for the green juices.

Celery, cucumber, cilantro and lemon. I did this one this morning and loved it.

Another go to of mine is celery, cucumber and parsley.

Tomorrow will be beet and romaine.

I am also thinking of collard greens, carrots and ginger for the day after tomorrow.

Can't wait to hear how it goes.
  • AmberMarie09
    AmberMarie09 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    my friend and his wife did this.. they lost 40 lbs each
    if they got hungry they ate roasted nuts
    and of course they took vitamins..
    also before they started they slowly added the juicing so it wasnt such a shock to their bodies
    after they were done they keep on a diet so they dont pig out and what not after

Good luck

to anyone who has netflix there is a documentary on there call fat, sick and nearly dead ... i think thats what it is called i havent seen it but thats what my friend told me to watch
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I have 40% water weight right now so I wouldn't mind getting that number down too.

I think you need to do a whole lot more research on body water content. You clearly are ignorant in that department.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I hope that you and your husband are going to be monitored by your physician as you go through this, for safety's sake.