Anyone belong to Crossfit?

Options

Replies

• neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I will never understand why CrossFit has the disdain or the "cult"-like fans.

First off, unless you've done cross-fit for a while, I don't care what you have to say about it. You don't know what you are talking about.

Second, of course people who are into it, are into it. they are heavily invested. It is brialliant on their part. I learned long ago, that if you can sell an idea at a high price, people will feel like they have partnered with the idea, almost like it is theirs, and they now own it. Cross-Fit does this, and it's not a cult, it is just people interested in something together.

The other thing abou tit is that it's pretty hard-core. So, if you just kind of want to work out and be "in-shape" or "fit", but not REALLY, this is NOT for you. this is a hard-core workout. It is really hard, and difficult, and will kick your *kitten*.

For me, it is too expensive. But, if I could afford it, I would do it everyday.

As for the gifs, those are negative propoganda and are taken out of context. Yes, it looks bad. Yes, they really shouldn't allow it, but the people do it knowing that they wont be helped. It is a competition, not training. So, it's different. Out of context, it lokos worse than it really is.

That's all I have to say about this topic. I will not comment any more about it.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    First off, unless you've done cross-fit for a while, I don't care what you have to say about it. You don't know what you are talking about.
    Incorrect. A person can learn a lot about a myriad of topics without "doing it" themselves.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Like everything, do your research. I once went to a not-so-great crossfit gym. But now I go to a GREAT one with trainers that really care about your form and doing things properly! They won't let you do a workout unless they are confident in your form.

I do crossfit typically 1-2 times a week as my main source of strength training. It's a great full body workout!
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    if you just kind of want to work out and be "in-shape" or "fit", but not REALLY, this is NOT for you. this is a hard-core workout.

See this a problem I ONLY have with crossfitters, you brand only Crossfitters as being "fit". I don't crossfit, but I know I can out crossfit quite a large portion of them.

I should rephrase that, not all crossfitters believe this, only 99% of the ones I've met, talked to, trained with.
  • Plates559
    Options

I have no idea what cocaine is like, but I'm sure I could figure out the gist of it by reading a lot...
  • Determinednoob
    Options

I have no idea what cocaine is like, but I'm sure I could figure out the gist of it by reading a lot...

I heard it's "a helluva drug"
  • Plates559
    Options
    Also another issue that bugs the crap out of me is that some crossfitters don't even know what is crossfit and what is already established work out methods....

Crossfit:
    Randomization
    Timed Work Outs
    Kips

Not Crossfit:
    Olympic lifts
    Big 3 lifts
    ANY LIFT!
    Burpees
    Short Shots
    Rope Climbs
    Wall Balls
    Ramstein/working out to hardcore music.
    Kettlebells
    Bumper Plates
    Knee High Socks
    Chalk
    Foam Rolling
    Mohawks
  • Determinednoob
    Options
    Also another issue that bugs the crap out of me is that some crossfitters don't even know what is crossfit and what is already established work out methods....

Crossfit:
    Randomization
    Timed Work Outs
    Kips

Not Crossfit:
    Olympic lifts
    Big 3 lifts
    ANY LIFT!
    Burpees
    Short Shots
    Rope Climbs
    Wall Balls
    Kettlebells
    Bumper Plates
    Knee High Socks
    Chalk
    Foam Rolling
    Mohawks

To me it sounds like you are trying to say someone took some awesome stuff and added just enough to it to make it suck and also call it their own and charge people stupid amounts of money for it?
  • Plates559
    Options

Crossfit:
    Randomization
    Timed Work Outs
    Kips

Not Crossfit:
    Olympic lifts
    Big 3 lifts
    ANY LIFT!
    Burpees
    Short Shots
    Rope Climbs
    Wall Balls
    Kettlebells
    Bumper Plates
    Knee High Socks
    Chalk
    Foam Rolling
    Mohawks

To me it sounds like you are trying to say someone took some awesome stuff and added just enough to it to make it suck and also call it their own and charge people stupid amounts of money for it?

Have we just cracked their business model?!
  • Determinednoob
    Options

Crossfit:
    Randomization
    Timed Work Outs
    Kips

Not Crossfit:
    Olympic lifts
    Big 3 lifts
    ANY LIFT!
    Burpees
    Short Shots
    Rope Climbs
    Wall Balls
    Kettlebells
    Bumper Plates
    Knee High Socks
    Chalk
    Foam Rolling
    Mohawks

assploded
  • charliemcbride
    charliemcbride Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone- I'm the OP of this thread. Thanks so much for all your responses. You've given a lot to think about.
  • neverstray
    Options
    if you just kind of want to work out and be "in-shape" or "fit", but not REALLY, this is NOT for you. this is a hard-core workout.

See this a problem I ONLY have with crossfitters, you brand only Crossfitters as being "fit". I don't crossfit, but I know I can out crossfit quite a large portion of them.

I should rephrase that, not all crossfitters believe this, only 99% of the ones I've met, talked to, trained with.

That's not what I said. If you think curling 5 lbs is a good workout, CrossFit is not for you. I didn't say only people that do CrossFit workouts are fit. I'm saying it's not a gym that someone timid should join. It will be a mismatch.
  • neverstray
    Options

No matter how much description goes into it, there is no way you could really understand it unless you do it.
  • neverstray
    Options

Crossfit:
    Randomization
    Timed Work Outs
    Kips

Not Crossfit:
    Olympic lifts
    Big 3 lifts
    ANY LIFT!
    Burpees
    Short Shots
    Rope Climbs
    Wall Balls
    Kettlebells
    Bumper Plates
    Knee High Socks
    Chalk
    Foam Rolling
    Mohawks

So what?
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

Crossfit:
    Randomization
    Timed Work Outs
    Kips

Not Crossfit:
    Olympic lifts
    Big 3 lifts
    ANY LIFT!
    Burpees
    Short Shots
    Rope Climbs
    Wall Balls
    Kettlebells
    Bumper Plates
    Knee High Socks
    Chalk
    Foam Rolling
    Mohawks

assploded

that's left me with a horrific visual :mad:
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    Try it - it's awesome!
  • gkrash
    Options
    All in all, do what works for you. I actually like the Crossfit workout "style" a lot, but I don't really care for the "group" mentality. I'm completely conjecturing, but I'd wager the group serves to injure people as they try to "catch up" with the rest of the crowd if they're not already "there" - especially folks that are built a little heavier (and I'm not just talking about overweight people here, I'm talking about guys and girls with a lot of upper body muscle built in a traditional gym.) It's a different style of workout, not for everyone for sure, but neither is running (which I also enjoy) - people endlessly tell me how terrible running is for your body (and done properly, it's fine, there are actually long term studies now that prove it.)

The one thing I *really* like about Crossfit (and I'm sure there are other training programs that are similar) is that (at the box I go to) there is a focus on functional strength, which to be honest, has been great for me.

my .02
  • Determinednoob
    Options
    What kind of strength is not functional?
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    What kind of strength is not functional?

isnt this just a term that means you are using free weights and doing compound lifts?
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I love crossfit. As you can tell by my ticker.