Why, thank you Bob Evan's....

Options
bcf7683
bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
Because if there's anything this country needs, it's endless, all-you-can-eat french fries with a massively unhealthy hamburger.

Congrats on a great contribution to this country's ridiculous obesity problem. Whoever came up with this one is a total genius. :noway:

Replies

• adubyou
    adubyou Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    How does Red Robin not get any criticism in this post?

Haha, it's about CHOICES... if you choose to eat unlimited fries that's your problem, not Bob Evans's.
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Haha, it's about CHOICES... if you choose to eat unlimited fries that's your problem, not Bob Evans's.

Word. :flowerforyou:
  • bcf7683
    Options
    I never said anything about choices. I know it's a terrible choice.

I'm just pointing out how ridiculous it is. People b!tch and moan about how fat people are getting but then things like this are advertised on TV. Irritating. And I know others agree.

[And I have no Red Robins near me and I've never been to one so they've avoided the scrutiny.]
  • BogQueen1
    BogQueen1 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Restaurants do what they do to make money, not to police our health. Fries are cheap, and by offering them unlimited, customers perceive that as a high value in our culture that seems to place a premium on quantity over quality.

Just because they offer it doesn't mean you have to order it. I do believe that more American's need to educate themselves though about the calories levels they are consuming at 'All you can eat' type places.
  • bcf7683
    Options
    Restaurants do what they do to make money, not to police our health. Fries are cheap, and by offering them unlimited, customers perceive that as a high value in our culture that seems to place a premium on quantity over quality.

Just because they offer it doesn't mean you have to order it. I do believe that more American's need to educate themselves though about the calories levels they are consuming at 'All you can eat' type places.

Once again, I realize all of this. I've worked at my share of fast food places and restaurants before college. I know they're cheap and readily accessible.
    And I work in marketing so I know what it is to use a cheap scam to get business.
    And I realize just because someone offers me something, doesn't mean that I have to accept (thus the 27 pounds I've lost).

I'm just trying to point out the ridiculousness.

I suppose what I'm saying is falling on deaf ears.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    The best thing about Red Robin's is that if you ask the waiter, you can usually get the garlic fries as your unlimited fries instead of just the plain ones like it says on the menu. Delicious!

Now, are they forcing me to eat basket after basket of fries? No. If they come out after I finish the fries that came with my sandwich and ask if I want me and I say no, do they say too bad and bring me another basket? No. Do they charge me more or less if I only eat one serving of fries? No.

So who cares if a restaurant offers unlimited anything? No one is forcing the people that eat there to eat unlimited amounts.

Heck, I've seen people put away a couple thousand calories at all you can eat salad bars between the bacon, dressing, croutons, bread on side, additional trips, etc. And I can eat at an all you can eat salad bar and be satisfied for under 400 calories. The difference is the person and their own personal choices, no matter what the restaurant and no matter what the food options.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with unlimited fries. Sometime after I get out of the gym I'll goto Fuddruckers and get a 1/2 burger with fries. I think 1 out of 7 times I get a 2nd order and eat 1/3-1/2 of it. Its not bad marketing. You get the idea you'll leave full which is what a meal should be.

The only problem I see is people don't know how to handle themselves and over eat. Its there problem not the restaurants fault.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Because if there's anything this country needs, it's endless, all-you-can-eat french fries with a massively unhealthy hamburger.

Congrats on a great contribution to this country's ridiculous obesity problem. Whoever came up with this one is a total genius. :noway:

I pick up what you are puttin' down. And yes, it is falling on deaf ears or simply bypassing folks altogether.....:laugh:
    I have LOTS to say about this .......
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I shake my head at restaurants offering ridiculously caloric/fatty foods. I agree that it has really gotten out of hand.

HOWEVER: nobody is putting a gun to anybody's head and saying, "Hork down these fries or you're gonna get it!" People need to be educated about what they are eating, and have the wherewithall to make healthier choices. Restaurants are free to make and serve whatever they want, and WE as consumers are just as free to NOT eat it.

IMO, I think a bigger contribution to America's obesity problem is the lack of education the masses seem to have on nutrition. I am pushing 30 years old, and am JUST STARTING to get it. And I ask myself WHY? I was never a stupid kid, and got ok grades: why have I never grasped the concepts of calorie deficits/exercise? Because nobody ever taught me, and I had to gain a ridiculous amount of weight before I learned it the hard way!

Instead of forcing middle and high schoolers to get pelted with dodgeballs in P.E., why not educate them on nutrition? Have them be aware of how many calories are in a greasy McFatFat, and offer healthier alternatives? Maybe do a semester on learning how to cook simple, healthy meals?
  • How does Red Robin not get any criticism in this post?

This. A restaurant can offer whatever food they want. no one's going to force you to eat it.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    they always tie me down at red robin and wont let me leave until i have at least 3 baskets of fries
  • xLexa
    xLexa Posts: 482 Member
    Options

Once again, I realize all of this. I've worked at my share of fast food places and restaurants before college. I know they're cheap and readily accessible.
    And I work in marketing so I know what it is to use a cheap scam to get business.
    And I realize just because someone offers me something, doesn't mean that I have to accept (thus the 27 pounds I've lost).

I'm just trying to point out the ridiculousness.

I suppose what I'm saying is falling on deaf ears.

I get what you are saying :) It is a marketing ploy they care nothing about the fitness of the general population. Once they get you in the door with their endless basket of additives then they hope to get more money from you because you "think" you are getting something for nothing. Never mind the health connotations. In the end it is a choice, but I think restaurants do need to take some of the responsibility. Better they offer you a free serving of fresh fruit with their low fat options but then again not many people would be falling over themselves to grab that deal!
  • 19kat55
    19kat55 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    At least they do offer healthier choices. Deaf ears no. People have to be responsible for their own choices. We leave in an age of blame blame blame. What ever happened to personal responsibility?
  • VenomousDuck
    Options
    Here at the restaurant I run there is a buffet daily. It includes a salad bar, hot line, a theme bar, and soups and chili.

Most people get a regular amount of food. They can take what they want.

But I hear so many people say "I'm gettin' my money's worth!" and load their plates with food they are just going to throw away.

They view "All You Care To Eat" as a challenge. But it is what it is.

The wasted food is what really bothers me the most.
  • suzieqcookie
    suzieqcookie Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I am a professional baker, and i have been asked (quite rudely) if i feel bad for making my customers fat. The answer, absolutely NOT. As far as i'm concerned, it's a SOMETIME food and if the consumers aren't willing to stop at one or two at a special occasion, that is THEIR problem, not mine.

Should Bob Evans, Red Robin and Denny's (promoter of everything bacon) be to blame? No, the people who eat it all the time have no one to blame but themselves. I don't blame anyone or any one business for my weight issue. I am 44 and even Captain Kangaroo taught us not to eat alot of fatty foods. It's no mystery.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I'm more peeved with restaurants that offer 1200 calorie plus "salads". People know unlimited fries are bad for you, not everyone realizes how much fat and sugar Applebee's packs into its salads.
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    [And I have no Red Robins near me and I've never been to one so they've avoided the scrutiny.]

THAT is unfortunate because they are delicious!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I never said anything about choices. I know it's a terrible choice.

I'm just pointing out how ridiculous it is. People b!tch and moan about how fat people are getting but then things like this are advertised on TV. Irritating. And I know others agree.

They try to give people what they want and are willing to pay for. If the general public wanted healthy, then they would be selling grilled chicken breast on a whole wheat roll with an endless side of carrot sticks. But that's not what the public wants and if they put that on their menu, they would lose money.

Don't hate the playa, hate the game!!
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Who is Bob Evans?
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    IMO, I think a bigger contribution to America's obesity problem is the lack of education the masses seem to have on nutrition. I am pushing 30 years old, and am JUST STARTING to get it. And I ask myself WHY? I was never a stupid kid, and got ok grades: why have I never grasped the concepts of calorie deficits/exercise? Because nobody ever taught me, and I had to gain a ridiculous amount of weight before I learned it the hard way!

Instead of forcing middle and high schoolers to get pelted with dodgeballs in P.E., why not educate them on nutrition? Have them be aware of how many calories are in a greasy McFatFat, and offer healthier alternatives? Maybe do a semester on learning how to cook simple, healthy meals?

Oh my - yes please! How much better would it be to teach these important concepts in PE instead of just telling the kids to run laps?